main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Knights of Ren in Episode 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Do you believe we will see the Knights of Ren in the movies beyond the flashback from TFA?

1. They will play a large roll in IX

2. They will be seen in IX but only briefly, and possibly in another flashback

3. They will not be seen, but will be mentioned in IX

4. We have heard the last of the Knights of Ren. Not even a mention in IX.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hear ya. It's hard to imagine a scenario where they can explain how and why Luke dropped the ball with his students so badly. I'm not even looking for an explanation that absolves Luke of his sins. In fact I think they should have Luke own his failure with his students. Just give us an explanation. Something! Tell us that he was grieving over a lost loved one and his head wasn't in the game. Tell us that he had a lot on his plate and a crisis in the galaxy was eating up Luke's time and frequently taking him away from his students. Tell us that he had made Ben his teaching assistant and delegated some of his teach responsibilities to Ben who then took advantage of the situation to poison the minds of the other students. I just want something more than, "Ben turned evil and took half my students with him. Thee end."

As for Luke teaching something I'm guessing Luke will come back and tell Rey something that she maybe doesn't completely grasp at first or perhaps she misunderstands it and then when the chips are down and everything looks like is going down the tubes for the Resistance Rey will realize the real meaning what Luke said which will then give her the ability to pull off some crazy Force power we've never seen before that will save the day.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    It would be really cool if we see a montage across the galaxy of young people, Force sensitives and non FS, spreading the Rebel symbol or even the GFFA version of street graffiti "spray painting" SKYWALKER on walls in FO-held cities across the galaxy and trolling/running from Stormtroopers. That seems like activity that Broom Boy and his friends would get up to a few years after TLJ, and it could be a great way to open Episode 9.

Then the KoR show up, having hunted down one of these Force Sensitives...

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I am going to laugh so hard if the KoR are named after popular Legends characters, and then are just in the film to job to Rey

Or maybe she won't kill them and they'll play a part in the New New We Really Mean It This Time Jedi Order

Kyp, Corran, Tahiri, Mara...

4. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I thought the Knights of Ren were amazing and was a wasted opportunity. Hoping JJ brings them back in 9 and give them an interesting role. The Praetorian Guards didn't impress me very much.

Resistance Trooper 2 and 11-4D like this.
  5. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Basically, I'd just like to see them back. I was deeply disappointed that they didn't show up in Episode VIII. You've got this guy, Kylo REN, and you know there are Knights of REN, a whole bunch of them, and we're not even offered an explanation for where they are or what happened to them? I remember when we saw the original sneaky photos from the filming on Skellig Michael and loads of us were like 'ah yes that's clearly Kylo attacking with the Knights Of Ren' and then when the film comes along they've just disappeared? Lazy lazy lazy.

Kylo's supposed to be the head of this bunch of goons and he's still charging around on his own making a bunch of mistakes that could have easily been solved by having a MASSIVE TROOP OF WARRIORS BEHIND HIM.

imo, you can't call someone Ren, put him across as the leader of a bunch of Rens, talk about the existence of other people called Ren, show them, and then ignore them. Big failure of Episode VIII in my eyes. Where are these guys? I want to see them turn up in IX, or at least have an explanation for where the heck they are.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    KSennia and DarthBane93 like this.
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    They just need some form of explanation. Why we haven’t seen them, and what they’ve been up to. I like the idea they have something to do with Vader’s castle on Mustafar, because I want to see that location again. Maybe that’s their base of operations and they protect that location. And only serve Kylo when called upon. And by the time of IX, Kylo needs them.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  7. Resistance Trooper 2

Resistance Trooper 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 11, 2018
    Of course the Knights of Ren will return in 9. Of course!

8. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    I think it was a missed opportunity to capitalize on them. But seeing how this franchise is being run, they'll just end up being wallpaper on film and another toy to be sold, which is a shame.

KSennia likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Remember Aurra Sing? No follow through. Pretty sure it wasn’t Kennedy running things back then...

That said, I’m intrigued by the KoR and hope to see them in IX.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Aurra Sing was never meant to be a important character. She was just an extra in TMP that the tie-in writers decided to use as the basis for a new character. She was upgraded from her original reason for existing, not downgraded from what she was supposed to be.

themoth likes this.
  11. thejediknights

thejediknights Jedi Master

Dec 3, 2002
    The Knights of Ren the main antagonist group in Episode 9: Plot theory - hear me out...

Sith and Jedi are gone. The KOR find out about Kylo's betrayal to Snoke and want to destroy him and anyone else he is with. In the meantime Kylo is with Rey and they have a child or find out they are pregnant. They have the baby and find out the baby's midachlorians are off the charts measure, double what Luke's was yet only a baby.

The KOR eventually kill Kylo in a battle where Kylo is doing all he can to protect his family but fails. The KOR are just about to kill Rey and or the baby when all of a sudden...

a RED lightsaber blocks the strike by the KOR and it's a SITH master and the Sith master completely decimates the KOR and saves the baby and take it with them as they depart. The movie ends. End credit scene - a jedi force ghost communicates with one of the broom boys or force user hinting that the jedi force ghost would train them.

OR, another ending...

The baby and or Rey are about to be killed by the KOR when force ghosts suddenly appear all around them with lightsabers in hand, and tell the KOR to leave them alone. (this would give all the force ghosts a bigger part of the story and more integral). The baby is taken by Finn or someone to care for the baby while the baby is ultimately trained to become a Jedi master and restore the Jedi. End credit scene would be the Sith somehow returning.

Both theories would make us TRULY look forward to see what happens next in the Star Wars trilogy.

What do you all think?

KSennia likes this.
  12. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    This is the main problem of NOT having Lucas involved in the Star Wars movies. He kept the story cohesive, but only when he had someone else doing the directing and writing scripts. If he had someone around during the PT to tell him "lets try spinning, that's a neat trick" wasn't good writing, or creepy love scene Anakin needs to not be so creepy, the PT would likely have been much better received. The ST has been all over the place, and hardly even seem like a part of the same trilogy. The KOR, should have played a much bigger roll in TLJ, but now it would seem really weird if the all the sudden show up in IX like nothing is out of sorts.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Resistance Trooper 2 likes this.
  13. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    I don't think it would be weird, TFA and TLJ take place over only a few days, so the KOR could easily have been off on some mission for Kylo (they could've been searching for Luke, for example) or they could've split from Kylo for some reason. I mean, Jabba was mentioned quite heavily in ANH but we didn't see him until ROTJ.

rorow1 and WebLurker like this.
  14. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    My guess has the KOR being most useful as a tool to drive Kylo into peril. Either by their failure in battle or by a twist such as a trap for the FO that sees Kylo as their problem. Rey will not be the one to kill Kylo, if that happens I believe that will take place in battle through a third party such as KOR. This way redemption is till on the table as is the Skywalker saga ending.

15. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Probably obvious, but maybe after Kylo went to become Snoke's apprentice the Knights of Ren went their separate ways to do their own things as individuals, and are assembled (like the Avengers) when called on by their Master.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    "There was an idea, Snoke knows this, called the Knights of Ren. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable dark side users, see if they could become something more powerful. See if they could work together when we needed them to. To fight the battles the First Order never could." [face_laugh]

KSennia and TheLastHaterOfZero like this.
  17. Resistance Trooper 2

May 11, 2018
    Don't many people think the Praetorian Guards were the KoR?

Visually speaking, I found them to be lacking compared to the gritty KoR.

18. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    I didn't associate the PG with the KoR at all. I just thought the K0R were far more interesting aesthetically, but also from a potential story perspective. Hope if JJ does bring them back, they don't become simply a piece of merchandising and show up for three mins. in the film.

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    As I've said before I have a feeling the KoR will remain generic faceless thugs. What's really crazy about that is that the GA and many hardcore fans probably won't think anything of that. They're going to take something like half a dozen people that trained with Luke and not give us any details about them?

Before we knew anything about TFA I think there were a lot of people thinking/hoping that Ep. 7 was going to introduce us to a new Jedi Order trained by Luke. That is to say Luke's students were thought to play a big role in the ST, at least some people hoped and thought they would. So it's nutzo that we might in fact have Luke's former students in the ST and they might not be anything more than background extras. This could end up being one of the worst parts of the ST and we're all largely shrugging our shoulders about it.

So all of these students were rando's and now Rey is apparently a rando but her rando story is front and center and super important to the Skywalker Saga story and yet Luke's rando former students get seemingly nothing. So many people love that Rey is a rando because it shows that anybody can be a Jedi. Yet we have a dozen of Luke's students that could've been Jedi and we/the ST seemingly doesn't care about them.

Rey: I, Rey Rando am here to say anybody can be a Jedi!
    Dead Students: Hey that's our line! Also not everybody can be a Jedi. That's why there were only 12 of us in the entire galaxy!

Resistance Trooper 2 likes this.
  20. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Having plot holes goes with any movie franchise, but this series, seems to be like a water bucket with the whole bottom missing. The story seems to be written by someone with sever ADD.

21. Resistance Trooper 2

May 11, 2018
    Well, one problem is there is no story.

22. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    From a story or continuity-wise it would be jarring to introduce them in any role other than to replace the red guards for Kylo's throne room.

If they were Luke's apprentices and Ben's childhood friends, then why are they not in the fray at SKB in TFA?, why are they not seen at all on any ship or location in TLJ?, why, after Kylo becomes supreme leader, don't they rush to his side to help Kylo at his confrontation with their "hated" former mentor Luke S.?

I mean, sure they can be in EPIX, why not. They can also be the parents of Rey or source donors for the midi-chlorians that were used to build Rey by Darth Plageis.

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    You know when you put it like that I wonder if we'll learn that Kylo killed them all a long time ago.

24. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I hope not, there has got to be more than Finn running around crazy and a battle between Reylo for me to hold onto for 9

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    To be fair, all we had of The Emperor before ROTJ was a mention of him once in ANH and a hologram in TESB. And I can tell you finally getting to see this guy in the second act of the third film in 1983 was amazing as late as it was in the OT. It was a classic entrance.

You could still have the KOR appear in the third film because they've already been mentioned and likely seen in the first film and alluded to by Luke in TLJ as the students who fled with Kylo after sacking the Jedi Temple.

There has been enough setup to pull it off still. Like Snoke's Praetorians however, these guys should be the exact opposite and highly formidable. The question then would be: where were they this whole time? Were they laying low under orders from Ren and, if so, why would he do that? If not, were they out searching the galaxy for Luke?

Last edited: May 30, 2018