main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Kyp & Tenel Ka Resource Thread [** NEW CHALLENGE, 11 APRIL!! **]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Thrawn McEwok, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Okay. Welcome to the WR companion to the Kyp & Tenel Ka Challenge Thread over in ByTS, dedicated to exploring the untapped potential of the relationship between Kyp Durron and Tenel Ka Djo.

We mean "relationship" in the widest possible terms, including friendship and character interaction - "[K, TK]" - as well as the idea of a romantic 'ship - "[K/TK]". We're simply trying to encourage people to write these characters together, because we think there's fun to be had there...

This thread is designed as a home for discussion the 'ship, a K/TK 'Fic Index, relevant information to help and inspire writers, and potentially even interviews with authors and fans...

But we're also going to be issuing 'fic challenges - ideally, one every week. We're looking for one-post replies, to be posted in the Challenge Thread. For each challenge, you, the fans, will pick a winner by voting, but there'll also be a Slap in the Face Award winner, selected by me and Elena, for Most Striking 'Fic...
    Challenge 1: CLOSED Monday 11th April
    Write a one-post 'fic in which Kyp and Tenel Ka meet, and forge a new working relationship. Can be [K, TK] or [K/TK], canon-compliant or AU - but by the end of the 'fic (if not at the beginning) both characters must wear their hair differently than their established EU styles.
    Challenge 2: until Monday 17th April
    Write a 'fic to the title "Stuncuffs and Lightsabers", in which Kyp and Tenel Ka - as lovers and/or Jedi Knights - find themselves in a situation where Tenel Ka's lack of a left forearm becomes an issue.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Kyp & Tenel Ka huh???

Interesting idea. Makes me realize there are just not enough females in the PT as we can't mix and match like the EU.. drats! :D :p

I look forward to seeing what comes from the challenges. :)

3. NenYim

NenYim Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    :) This sounds interesting.

An index? Really? I've written K/TK fic, amd when I saw the challenge thread on the Beyond boards, it gave me a shock... :D

4. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Challenge #1 Entries (in order of appearance)

Title: Master/Apprentice Relationship
    Author: Thrawn McEwok
    Timeframe: Post-NJO
    Characters: Kyp, Tenel Ka
    Summary: In a Galaxy gone very wrong, Tenel Ka decides she wants Kyp Durron to finish her training as a Jedi Knight.
    Notes: A present for my (Elena?s) sixteenth birthday

Title: Regulation Haircut
    Author: Elena
    Timeframe: AU NJO
    Characters: Kyp, Tenel Ka, Vaas?ikar (OC), barber (OC)
    Summary: Colonel Kyp Durron meets Cadet Tenel Ka Djo. Only the strong survive the Imperial Academy on Carida.
    Notes: Part of a longer scene for TNO.

Title: Consensus
    Author: Lola64
    Timeframe: Dark Journey AU
    Summary: Upon her mother's death Tenel Ka is forced to take the Hapan throne. A suitable King has been selected for her. But can she agree with the choice?

Title: Ember
    Author: ?Tenel-Ka-
    Timeframe: post-NJO
    Characters: Tenel Ka, Kyp
    Summary: Kyp and Tenel Ka are thrown together for a mission after one of their close friends is murdered - this is what takes place beforehand.
    Notes: Just a little piece written up after a plot bunny bit me. I'm debating on continuing it, but I don't know. Hehe~

Title: Dancing
    Author: NenYim
    Timeframe: post-NJO
    Summary: Tenel Ka meets Kyp at a Hapan ball, and dances with him.

5. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    [Original 'fic]

Elena

Title: Sarit
    Timeframe: Dark Journey AU
    Characters: Kyp, Tenel Ka, Jaina, Jag, Ta?a Chume, Shawnk?yr?nuruodo, others, OCs
    Summary: In a world where Jaina became the Queen Mother, things don?t go smooth, and Tenel Ka learns that the only friend of a prospective Queen are the friends you make and the power you earn.
    Notes: Work in progress.

NenYin

Title: Turn of Stars
    Timeframe: Mid-NJO
    Characters: Tenel Ka, Kyp, Jaina, others, OCs
    Summary: Four Jedi and two others are captured onboard a Yuuzhan Vong ship, and Tenel ka discovers several very interesting things.
    Notes: Work in Progress

6. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    OK, just to get the ball rolling...

I've never liked Jacen/Tenel Ka after reading up to Balance Point. Sure, they were semi-cute in that puppy love kind of way in the YJK, but by Balance Point, they were radically different people. Jacen was a pacifist - worse than that, a half-assed one - and Tenel Ka was definitely taking and active part in the war. And afterward, it got more and more unrealistic to me. Tenel Ka will rule essentially as an autocrat. As a Jedi, she needs to assert her authority. How the hell is she going to do that with Jacen by her side.

Then again, I haven't read past the Allston duology, so maybe their characters morph again. I do think that Kyp and Tenel Ka are plausible as friends or lovers. I think Kyp and her share the same ruthless outlook on life, and might even be good role models for each other: Tenel Ka as an example to Kyp of what a decent person does, and Kyp to Tenel Ka because of his mastery of the Force and his knowledge of controlling people. And honestly, I think they're far more compatible than Jacen and Tenel Ka.

What do you think?

Elena

7. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    I can see how Kyp and Tenel Ka could have good character dynamics, but I don't think that means Jacen should be excluded. I had heard about Jacen's annoying pacifism at the beginning of the series, and purposefully avoided reading those books so I wouldn't see one of my favorite characters ruined.

However, Jacen rocks in Traitor. And after Traitor, for that matter. (Hint: Unifying Force!) In J/TK fanfic that I read, I rarely read stuff that takes place before Traitor. Jacen's character is radically changed by his torture at the hands of the Vong. He comes back with an edge, and that edge is what makes him a suitable companion for the Queen Mother of Hapes.

As for Kyp, I think he could make a good character in a story where Jacen and Tenel Ka have a romantic relationship. He could be an observer, or a friend, or even, (if well-written enough) a rival.

As a slightly off-topic side-note, I was looking at the "welcome to the boards" section of Beyond the Saga, and saw that they considered Traitor to be rated NC-17. Does anyone disagree with this theory?

8. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    I'll take your word for it. In fanfic, though, he's always portrayed as Luke's heir, the man that will lead the Jedi to a new philosophical Golden Era.

Politically (no, don't laugh!), there's nothing for them in a relationship. She needs complete control. She's an autocrat. And Jacen is an autocrat in a different way. Either way, she can give up her responisibilities to be with him, and he can't stay with her as a passive player - he needs power. Their relationship would eventually pull itself apart.

Kyp, on the other hand... He'll never have power. Too many people remember his prior misdeeds. But he's a decent commander - not the best, and certainly not able to influence Tenel Ka. He's powerful, but not too powerful, and because he's male, it doesn't matter that he's a foreigner.

Needless to say, any K/TK pairing would need to be done carefully.

Elena

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Elena: You've still not read Traitor?! :eek: :p

I do think that Kyp and Tenel Ka are plausible as friends or lovers. I think Kyp and her share the same ruthless outlook on life, and might even be good role models for each other: Tenel Ka as an example to Kyp of what a decent person does, and Kyp to Tenel Ka because of his mastery of the Force and his knowledge of controlling people. And honestly, I think they're far more compatible than Jacen and Tenel Ka.

Interesting reading - very much much predicated on the idea that they need to make command decisions on a day-to-day basis; bouncing off this, I'll suggest that they're both aware of this expectation thrust upon them, and thus of the unsatisfactory, imperfect nature of every step they take.

Jacen's just as ruthless, manipulative, and strong in the Force... but he's still looking for perfection; he's not had his "Han moment" yet...

angel_gidget: [Spoilers for those who haven't read the novel yet!] I read Traitor as a black comedy, with Jacen as the butt of the joke; nothing really changes, and he's never in any real danger: I'm not sure whether I'm laughing in the right places, or the wrong ones...

... but maybe if we keep up this discussion, we can persuade Elena to read the novel... :p [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Okay. The first challenge is now closed. You can read the 'fic by Thrawn McEwok, Elena, Lola64, -Tenel-Ka- and NemYim in the Challenge Thread - thanks to everyone who participated!!

You can also vote for the Prize 'Fic of the Week. Simply PM your choice to me, TMcE; we should announce the winner, and the first winner of the prestigeous Thread Organizers' Choice Slap in the Face Award for Most Striking 'Fic, this time next week...

Until then - here's this week's challenge!
    Challenge 2: until Monday 17th April
    Write a 'fic to the title "Stuncuffs and Lightsabers", in which Kyp and Tenel Ka - as lovers and/or Jedi Knights - find themselves in a situation where Tenel Ka's lack of a left forearm becomes an issue.

;)

Have fun! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.