main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The lack of good space battles in SW of late

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm not sure epic space battles really make a whole lot of sense in Rebels, the goal of the Ghost crew is to be secretive and descreet, not get involved in battles.

2. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Also the budget of the show might not allow highly coordinated space battles.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Right now Team Ghost is just two ships who are running away most of the time. You get the occasional one on four, two on four action like in ANH where the Falcon fends off Tie Fighters. I'm not sure that really counts as a big epic space battle. Can't get much of a space battle out of a few ships. Most epic space battles in the PT, TCW, and OT involved two big opposing fleets with tons of ships engaging in all out war is some dogfights or atleast a small group of ships trying to accomplish a goal that forces them to engage underdog style. The ghost is not a fleet.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    It is not going to happen in Rebels, this is a smaller action OT style oriented personal battle type show. People that say that TCW space battles were not great do not know what they are talking about. They forget that the animation toiwards the end of season 3 on forward got progressively better and better to the point that watching an episode was like watching a gorgeous 22 minute hi def part of a high end action movie. It was that simple. Rebels will give us action and good stories, defintely good stories, but don't expect 20 Imperial Star Destroyers duking it out with 25 Rebel cruisers as in ROTJ. Not happening

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Rouge Squadron live-action show plz.

6. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    I agree,I have been really trying hard to enjoy SW Rebels to the point of almost fooling myself(species of stockholm syndrome I venture) and that shouldn't be the case,enjoyment of the show should come naturally based on its merits as a show...but lets face it..it no high value production by any stretch of the imagination..its a very shoe string budget with a LOT of asset/character/location reuse(those two twiddledee and twiddledo imperial officers that somehow shows up everywhere theres an imperial ,simplistic antagonist with paper thin motivations for antagonists ...(raise you glasses!! whoo hoo EMPIRE DAY!! its da law!)..granted we had that bait episode "rise of the old masters",it still had the hallmarks of a severely castrated LFL animation department..it looks like Disney despite their longs standing policy of letting subsidiaries keep their autonomy /identity is in fact using this show as a sort of pilot project if you will.

7. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    I think it was a lot more then merely 40ish ships duking it out

8. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    If the crew of the Ghost end up with the Rebel Alliance proper, there's a chance that we'll see some form of ship to ship combat. Though it depends on where the Rebel Alliance is at this stage. I'm sure there's some ex-CIS ships out there (if Mon Cala hasn't thrown in) that they can find, in addition to Alderaanian blockade runners. This really isn't what the Rebel Alliance would do unless they had to.

However, you can make exciting battles even without such -- look at ESB. You just need good kinetic action and stakes added.

Sadly, it's not The Clone Wars with two galactic powers going at it.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Empire is as expansionist as in the EU - the Ghost might end up running supplies to the nations just outside Imperial Space, which are in the process of being invaded?

10. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Hopefully Rebels delves deep enough to have some X-Wing battles.