Before - Legends The Lair's Xanatos Challenge Stories - Updated 11/20! VaderLVR

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by fallen_one, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Layren Jedi Master

star 5
    Wow some excellent stuff has been posted since I've been gone these few days from the boards with moving .. KB That was an awesome post!

?I?m sure you are, but you?re still a Padawan, and you?re only sixteen,? Qui-Gon reminded. ?But I relish the day you move on to be a Jedi Knight. It means I did my job well.?

Xanatos laughed loudly. ?Well, indeed.?

Wow kind of chilling bit of foreshadowing there. Very well done! Now that I'm moved the plot bunnies will so be unpacked and I'll post my own contribution this week I hope. Great job everyone so far! I'm glad this is really taking off :D
  2. obi_ew Jedi Master

star 5
    Wonderful Krystal. :) I love how you managed to incorporate Xan's natural impatience and slightly self involved personality. Also loved the mention of a baby Obi between them.
  3. Layren Jedi Master

star 5
    Alright well here's my contribution :) I had a whole lot of help with this one. Special thanks especially to Obaona for feeding my muse, helping me come up with the OC name and pestering me to write it. Thanks also to OE who helped work the plot out with me. Thanks to Diane for beta'ing for me and helping me come up with a good ending :) I really appreciate it sweetie! That being said this was my very first try at attempting Xanatos's character. Here it is!

Sticks and Bones

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn brooded as he stared at the starlines rushing past. The past several missions had been very hard on him and his padawan learner. Treaty negotiations had literally exploded in front of them and Xanatos had nearly been killed. Qui-Gon had escaped with minor injuries but his padawan had not been so lucky. Xanatos had nearly lost an arm when the bomb exploded. Flying shrapnel had embedded itself deeply in the padawan's right arm. He had dragged the wounded teenager through the streets of the war-torn planet for quite some time before reaching their transport.

After the harsh reprimands from the Council for his unorthodox methods, Qui-Gon had decided to take some time off. He hadn't been ordered to stay behind on Coruscant for the duration of his censure and he knew he needed time to reconnect with his padawan after the rough mission they had had. He stood and absently toyed with his beard before heading into the galley to let his apprentice know they would soon be entering realspace.

Sixteen-year-old Xanatos deCrion was sitting at a table in the galley eating what looked like half of the ship's stores. Qui-Gon laughed, amused at the enormous amount of food the young man had fixed for himself. "Padawan," Qui-Gon said warmly. "I advise you to hurry and finish. We'll be dropping out of hyperspace in about fifteen minutes."

"Yes Master," Xanatos said thickly through a mouthful of his food. He swallowed and then said, "I'll be finished shortly."

Qui-Gon nodded and headed back to the cockpit. He was eager to land on the planet and visit his old friend Lathen J'aijen. It would be a pleasure to see him again. He had met Lathen on a mission long ago and the wealthy bureaucrat had repeatedly asked the Jedi to come visit him on his estate and Qui-Gon had finally decided now would be a good time to accept his offer.

----

"Qui-Gon my friend it's about time you decided to get your hide out here to see me, " A booming voice startled Qui-Gon out of his thoughts as he disembarked from the speeder that Lathen had sent to retrieve them. The fine furnishings the speeder had to offer had immensely impressed Xanatos. "And who is this handsome young lad?"

"This is my apprentice, Xanatos deCrion." Qui-Gon said as Lathen pounded him on the back. Xanatos bowed.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. J'aijen." Xanatos said formally. Lathen laughed. "Please not so formal, Xanatos. Only my enemies call me Mr. J'aijen." He said with a smile playing at the corners of his lips.

Xanatos smirked and his eyes eagerly ran over the sprawling luscious grounds in front of his eyes. Lathen, his master had informed him, had a sizeable fortune and was going to be gracious enough of a host to allow them to stay on his property. Seeing the servants and the fine furnishings Xanatos grinned in anticipation. This surely would be a vacation to remember. He had tuned out his Master and Lathen's conversation until the word "camping" grabbed his attention.

"We'll be camping for a few days and I do thank you for letting us use your estate." Qui-Gon was saying to his friend.

"Oh it's not a problem. Are you sure you don't want to stay in the estate instead?"

Xanatos's eyes widened in horror. They had a gorgeous estate, servants to take care of their every whim and his Master wanted to play in the woods? He inwardly suppressed a groan as Master replied, "Oh no we'll be fine out in the woods."

"Master with all due respect don't you think we'd be more comfortable here? After all this is an e
  4. Durhelediel Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Haha! Very funny!

"You know Jinn, when I said to break a leg I didn't mean literally." Lathen shook his head as Xanatos emerged from the forest the next day, gasping for breath and carrying his wounded Master. "You Jedi take everything far too seriously."

I about laughed my socks off on that one, but then I laughed my butt off with the part about Qui-Gon's "regular room" with Han'yaie. lmbo!

You're so good at vignettes! Makes me slightly green with jealousy. :}
  5. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Great work! My own Xan story is going exactly nowhere. Lovely work, and now I'm jealous!
  6. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    hehehe that was funny ;) liked it! ;)
  7. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! :D Why were you worrying? ;) You wrote Xan great. :D

[:D]
  8. obi_ew Jedi Master

star 5
    Love the ending and for a novice you did a great job with Xan. :)
  9. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Very funny, poor, shirtless, squirming Quigon!
  10. AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling

star 2
    *snicker* Very nice. Wow, Qui-Gon really likes the words "shut up" when he's grumpy. Hmm, I'm the same way, lol, scary. Well, I guess I enjoyed it, but still :p at Xanatos. O:) *snort* Good one.
  11. Indra Jedi Master

star 3
    Cool idea. :D Great way to show what Padawans have to go through in their training. You did fine with Xan. :)
  12. Altaira Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Finally made the time to catch up on these.

KrystalBlaze
    Xan?s self-assured nature and firm beliefs in what he sees as true shows. It took Qui-Gon a while to get him to listen to another possibility. I thought this was true to both of them. The playful banter at the end still spoke of their personalities, Qui the teacher and Xan knowing it all. :D It was a nice moment to soften their discussion.

Layren - Sticks and Bones
    I loved Xan?s anticipation of the grand home then his let down when he heard camping. :p :) ...a unique learning experience for me. I liked the suckup line as Xan tried to convince Qui-Gon to stay in the estate. The boy does like finer things.

Xan was starting to relax when Qui had his accident with nature. Xan was there for his master. He did miss out on a bit of luxury but got a couple jabs in before shutting up. Cute ending.
  13. fallen_one Jedi Youngling

Time to liven things up I think. [face_devil]

New challenge: Xaniwan = Write a post that shows a scene between Xanatos and Obi-Wan. The only restriction is that it has to be board friendly. ( sorry o_e ) They can be any age and anything can happen. Let your imaginations run wild! :D
  14. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Now why could I come up with something for the new challenge and not the first one? Sigh...oh well. Once I get it typed up I will post it. It turned out a little different and a little longer than I expected. Have you ever started out to tell one story and then a totally different one evolves as you write? Great job on all of these!
  15. obi_ew Jedi Master

star 5
    VaderLVR I know exactly what you mean! This one did the same thing to me. I look forward to seeing your's. :)

Once again I'll be brave and go first. [face_worried] For those of you who read Live What You Learn this is kind of a sad prologue to that fic. I want to thank Birdy for looking it over and I dedicate it to her for being Eitan's biggest fan. :)

Guilty By Association

It was a deadly but graceful dance he watched from the safety of the shadows. His dreams had once again awoken him, a strangled cry lodged in his throat, a sheen of sweat covering his trembling body. Sitting up amongst the damp twisted sheets, he?d glanced around worriedly. His room mates slept on undisturbed by his night terrors. Sliding out of bed, he?d carefully traveled the darkened hallways of the creche. Something had led him to this room, the training salle, where he?d discovered the two young men who were sparring.

Eyes round in his face, he?d gingerly slid onto the stand in order to watch. Both were tall and heavily muscled, their long ebony braids hanging nearly to their waists. That alone told him that they were senior padawans. One was pale while the other was dark, both handsome and brimming with youthful confidence. As he watched they broke apart and slowly began to circle one another, smirks twisting their lips.

"May as well give in deCrion. Save yourself the trouble of working up a sweat only to get beat."

The pale one barked in disbelief at his opponents taunt. "Real funny Delano. I?ll be sure and comm Master Majid before I take you to the healers. I know how much you enjoy being coddled when you?re hurt."

A dark blush stained warm brown skin at the jeer. There was obviously a story behind the pale one's words, a secret that only two longtime friends could share. Instead of responding verbally, the one named Delano launched himself at his friend with a flurry of powerful blows that drove deCrion back.

"Must have hit a nerve," the pale one gasped with a grin. "What's the matter Ei'n? Afraid the rest of the Temple will discover what a Masters boy you are?"

Before the darker young man could offer up a retort, they were both distracted by the sound of giggling that came from the shadows. Eyeing one another curiously, they turned to study the area it had originated from.

"It would seem we have an audience," Xanatos mused as he picked out the small figure that sat huddled on the stands.

"Probably yet another of those poor deluded crechelings who worship at your feet. Too bad they don?t know you like I do," Eitan muttered as he stalked toward the stands.

Close on his best friend?s heels, Xanatos waved a hand to bring the lights up. The boy squinted against the sudden glare, drawing back in agitation as the two daunting figures halted to stare down at him. Eyes huge in his face, he swallowed through a tight throat as his gaze shifted between them.

"So...sorry. I didn?t mean to interrupt."

"You?re up awfully late youngling," Eitan mused with a half smile meant to reassure the boy. He had no way of knowing that it was being seen as a snarl, the boy imagining he was contemplating how best to gobble him up.

"Force Delano, back off. Your ugly mug is terrifying the poor boy!"

Ignoring his friend?s heated curse, Xanatos dropped down to sit next to the child. "What?s your name?"

"O..Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"Nice to meet you Obi-Wan Kenobi. I?m Xanatos deCrion, Padawan to Master Qui-Gon Jinn. My scary friend here is Eitan Delano, Padawan to Master Majid. Now that we all know one another why don?t you tell us why you?re up so late."

Obi-Wan shrugged as he struggled to speak. He was feeling very daunted being the center of these two men?s attention. "I have bad dreams sometimes."

"About anything in particular?" Xanatos inquired as he rested a hand on the boy?s thin shoulder.

"A dark man is trying to kill me and my master. Only I can?t see either of their faces. They?re just blurs," he shared in a whisper.

Xanatos and Eitan exchanged a troubled
  16. Altaira Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh, I like that! :D Xanatos showing his instigating side toward Eitan and then kindness and compassion to little Obi. Nice tie in to Qui-Gon?s words and future Obi-Wan?s. ?Dreams pass in time,? and then the same advice to ignore them. :D

You have to be very good friends to perturb the other like that. :p Eitan is willing to stand by Xan no matter what.
  17. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    awe - OE stop it - you're making me blush...

I love the banter between the two friends! It's almost like they are *****'s or brothers or something - somethign deeper than best friends (Yes, I know I'm dreaming here - leave me alone.) And yet, it's so sad in the end...the foreboding, and the Xan already fiddling with the darkside...

If you don't write the injured Ei'n/ cuddling master I'm going to have to do something drastic...

Absolutely loved it from the title to the last word!
  18. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    o_e I loved it! But then I love everything you write. I swear you could post a grocery list and it would be brilliant (it's most vexing!). All of these are great, I still need to type mine up. I just got back from a movie with hubby so I may relax for a while and then get it done.

Why oh why was it so much easier to write Xan/Obi than Xan/Qui. Well, I could have written it, it just wouldn't have been "board friendly!" I should not have said that, I SHOULD not have said that...
  19. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm glad I found this one o_e. But I wouldn't mind the other one wither VL. here little bunnies :)
  20. dianethx Jedi Master

star 6
    Oh, OE, that's so sad that Xan has promised to hunt himself down... Good job with the friendship and camaradrie.
  21. Indra Jedi Master

star 3
    I love your Xan-Obi interaction, o_e. This is so heartbreaking, knowing what will become of Xan. Brilliant work again. :)
  22. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    This is what came to me for this challenge. It started out going in one direction and then Obi and Xan directed me another way.

To Face My Demons

Obi-Wan heard the whispers as the Masters walked down the corridor. He knew by their hushed voices and anxious tones exactly what they were talking about at this late hour. Once again, the fallen Jedi would the subject of their conversation, the fixed center of their anxieties. He sighed, tired of the pall that had descended over the Temple with the return of Xanatos.

As had happened so many times before, his Master?s former Padawan had come between them. But this time it was much worse; it was no specter that lured his Master away now. This time Xanatos was flesh and blood, his need for his Master clear to anyone who had the misfortune to speak to the former Jedi.

But few wanted to exchange words with him now. For to speak to Xanatos, one had to look at him. Rather, one had to look at the ruin of what had once been Xanatos. It was hard to imagine what he had once been after viewing the wreckage that remained.

Xanatos had not died that day. Obi-Wan knew he was not alone in thinking it might have been better if he had. But Xanatos had survived, and now he would have to find a way to live with what had been left after he crawled away from the acid.

Obi-Wan had heard Qui-Gon and Master Yoda discussing Xanatos. How he had gone insane after seeing himself in the polished surface of a food cart. The Healers had been so careful to keep him away from anything which might reveal the devastation the acid had caused. But it took only a hurried and frightened Padawan who unthinkingly wheeled in the cart to shatter their careful plan; and Xanatos? mind.

Obi-Wan had heard Xanatos? screams, even halfway across the Temple and two floors down. The sound had been agonizing, a living entity that made him want to bite his lips until they bled. And then the screams had abruptly stopped. Obi-Wan wasn?t sure what had been more chilling, the horrible cries or the sudden and complete silence. But he shivered in gratitude at the quiet.

He felt guilty for the cold, hard knot of jealous that filled his belly as his Master made yet another visit to his former apprentice. But no matter his guilt, the jealousy remained. It ate at him, giving him no peace.

It felt as if he would never escape from Xanatos? shadow, that he would never be free of the weight of his memory and presence.

If only he?d had the decency to die that day.

Obi-Wan sat in the dark, nursing the hatred that now waited, curled up in his soul. He fed it daily with resentment and envy. Every moment that Qui-Gon spent with the horrific lump of flesh that had once been a man merely added fuel to the dark fire.

The smiles he gave Qui-Gon felt fixed in place, a mask he assumed for some bizarre party that had overtaken his life. He felt brittle, as if he might shatter into a million pieces at any moment.

Then one night, he knew he could bear it no longer. The hatred burst forth from its hiding place. It was ravenous and would give him no rest until he satisfied it.

So, he decided to feed the beast.

Qui-Gon rested, sprawled out in an exhausted sleep so deep that it resembled a coma more than a nap. Taking no chances, Obi-Wan put him under even further with a Force suggestion. It would be hours before the older man could so much as open his eyes.

With stealth that was impressive even for a Jedi, he made his way to the Healer?s Ward. Xanatos was alone during the night, at his own insistence. They restrained him to his bed, his desire to harm himself making that precaution a necessity.

Obi-Wan opened the door to his room and stole inside. The bright lights of Coruscant seeped in through the small window, casting a sickly yellow glow.

Xanatos was there on the bed, curled up as much as he could manage while restrained. His back was to the door, so Obi-Wan had another moment to prepare himself to face what remained of Xanatos.

Taking a deep, fortifying breath he stepped f
  23. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    *shudders*

Ok, that was high up on my creep-o-metre... but I loved that Xan had a chance to come to terms with everything and everyone and it was still sad and sappy at the same time.

But Dammit! you killed Xan! And ruined his beauty... [face_bawling}

Enjoyed it mucho!
  24. obi_ew Jedi Master

star 5
    :_| That was heartbreaking! But in a way strangely beautiful and moving. :( Excellent job my dear! I was hanging on every word.
  25. dianethx Jedi Master

star 6
    Whoa, that was really creepy and well done. I liked that Obi-Wan wanted to kill Xan and was unable to do it. Glad to see that Obi conquered his demons and Xan conquered his.

Great job.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.