main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Lair's Xanatos Challenge Stories - Updated 11/20! VaderLVR

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by fallen_one, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A different plot bunny came to me about 3 this morning, as I sat up suffering from the mother of all colds. It's very different from the first one. I hope it was okay to do two.

From the Mouths of Babes

?Here, like this,? I told him, demonstrating with my own hands.

I watched as pudgy little hands tried to grasp the saber hilt. He had his bottom lip caught in his teeth as he concentrated fiercely on the task. His big blue eyes soon narrowed with frustration as hands too small for the job failed him yet again.

?It?s okay,? I said as I knelt down beside him. ?One day these hands will grow as big as Master Jinn?s and then you?ll have trouble finding a saber big enough to fill them.?

The boy shook his head, strands of red-gold hair flying about his head. ?No, I won?t ever get that big.? He spoke as if reciting a sacred vow. ?No one gets that big ?cept Master Jinn.?

I laughed then, I couldn?t help it. The boy was endearing in his solemnity, which was a complete façade from what I had been able to discern from Temple gossip. It seemed that the young initiate in my saber class had a first class reputation as a prankster. I would never have guessed it if one of my best friends hadn?t been the victim of one of his pranks and lived to tell me about it. Jorak had been torn between anger at the boy and admiration for his skill and imagination. Admiration had won out in the end and he?d never reported the little miscreant.

The small face scowled up at me, sure I was laughing at him. Since I was, in a way, I quickly sobered my expression and ruffled his hair. He pulled away in irritation and smoothed it back down.

?I hate it when people mess with my hair,? he informed me.

?Oh you do, do you??

?Yes, Siri?s always touching it. Sometimes she even asks to brush it!? He shuddered in horror at the thought.

?Ah, girl trouble,? I commiserated with him. I remembered my own days as a young initiate, being pursued by female admirers. It had grown tiresome after a while, and I could see why this boy was having similar difficulties. He was a beautiful child, and he had absolutely no idea.

Obi-Wan shrugged his small shoulders, as if tired of the subject already.

I had dismissed the class a few minutes earlier so that I could work with young Kenobi. He had a natural skill and grace that promised to make him excellent with a lightsaber; he just had to let his body grow enough to catch up with his innate ability.

?So what do you and your friends do when you?re not in classes?? I asked idly, putting away my gear.

I thought I heard a soft snort of laughter, but when I turned the boy?s face was as serious as ever. Only a lively twinkle in his eyes belied the expression.

He turned away, but not before I saw a wide smile on his face. He began to put away his things as well, ignoring my question for the moment. He closed his bag and turned back to me.

?Stuff.?

?Stuff? Surely you can be more specific than that.?

?Fun stuff, I dunno. We play games, practice with the training sabers, you know that sort of thing.? He put his hands on his hips. ?Stuff.?

I smiled and then casually commented. ?Do you ever do ?stuff? like putting green dye in someone?s shampoo??

Obi-Wan brought his hand up to his mouth quickly to stifle the giggle. He shrugged his shoulders, trying desperately to fix an innocent expression on his face and failing miserably.

?How about putting itching powder in someone?s gloves??

He stared at me, obviously trying to figure out if I was angry or not. When he saw an answering twinkle in my eyes he smiled broadly and then nodded. ?We make it ourselves,? he confided. ?I came up with the formula from stuff we can nab from the kitchens,? he added proudly.

?And yet you?ve escaped punishment?? I asked, curious.

?Mostly,? he said. ?It?s ?cause,? here he paused and began to sound like he was reciting an oft heard explanation, ?they think I look too innocent and cute to have done the stuff.? His lips made a moue of disgust.

I laughed at him once more, but

2. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    o_e, that was great! I really liked your interpretation of these characters.

layren: loved it! You did a great job!

VaderLVR64: two lovely viggies.

A great challenge!

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    That was too cute! Love little Obi. :) You can do as many as you want my dear. I for one hope the bunnies keep a coming!

4. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    VaderLVR64
    You had me worried that Obi-Wan was going to turn in ?To Face My Demons?. It was heartbreaking to see what happened to Xanatos. He did find peace and helped the others. :_|

?From the Mouths of Babes? I needed that after the first one. [face_laugh] Loved Obi-Wan?s pranks and so-called innocence. It?s always the quiet ones you have to watch out for. :D I liked how Xan could appreciate his talents. The honest uncertainty from Xan at the end was good.

5. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Come on! We have to have more viggies in this thread. Get writing! I'll keep nagging until you, and I'm REALLY good at it. I've got four kids, so I've perfected it to an art form.

Trust me...

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I need to find my USB doodad... :(

OE - :_| Horribly Melted Face Xan! Hang on while I compose myself out of hysterics...

7. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Why are you yelling at me? She wrote it! :D I'm going to try to work on another. The one I started I may have to save for the evil Obi challenge. [face_devil]

8. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    And here we have a clear sign that I'm mixed up. 8-}

Vader - :_| You melted his face! And then I got confused about who wrote it! :mad:

OE, I guess I can yell at you because the only restriction was that it had to be board-friendly. You left off the "No Killing/Maiming/Disfiguring Xan!" rule. :p

9. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    So Xan and Obi have to stay pretty. Is that what you're saying? I thought it was pretty cool, only one eye left and a sort of melted face/neck thing going on. But that's just me! :D

10. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    VL, both of your stories are absolutely great. So very different, but both extremely well written in their own way. The first one is very imaginative and original. Wouldn't have thought of something like this. Obi-Wan's guilt at his own intention is so realistically portrayed, it's amazing. And the second is just cute. :D I love little Obi stories and if Xan is in them, it can't get any better. Very well done. :)

11. Odd-Thomas

Odd-Thomas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    Wow! These ranged from sweet and touching to creepy and scary. All well done! It's kind of neat to see such a wide variety of work in one thread. Cool idea.

12. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    This is pretty short, and it's the first post of something I had started working on. Might as well put it here. :D

Xaniwan is Good

"I'm so bored."

"I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry."

"You're always bored."

"Stop talking and pay attention."

The padawan just rolls his eyes. His master isn't about to follow his own advice, so why should he?

"Because I'm your master, and I said so."

"But talking is keeping you awake."

"Are you asking for KP? Are you really? Because if you want it that badly, I'll stick you with it."

"No, Master," the padawan murmurs, hiding his smirk behind his hand.

"Fifteen more minutes." The master fidgets. "Just fifteen more minutes, and it will all be over."

The Bothan sitting in the row ahead of them turns around and glares. "Ssshhhhh!!!" he hisses, annoyed that the two miscreants behind him are disturbing his enjoyment of the highly enlightening event.

Dark blue eyes narrow as the master glares back. "Please," he snorts. "You can't possibly find this interesting."

"Since you are obviously not interested, perhaps you should leave."

"And miss the golden opportunity to annoy the hell out of you? I think not."

The Bothan huffs and turns back around, never seeing the rude gesture that the master aims at his back. Rather than gasp in shock, the padawan bites his lip to keep from laughing. "You realize, Master," he says, struggling to form the words, "that this will not help us the next time we're facing the Council."

"Which is going to be in about eleven minutes. Right after this thing ends." The handsome master scowls at the stuffy Bothan. "Nark," he mutters under his breath.

"He hasn't said anything yet," the padawan whispers into his master's ear, hoping to avoid the wrath of the Bothan. "How can he be a nark?"

"He's plotting it right now. I can see that excuse for a brain working, those rusty gears turning ever so slowly. He'll nab a Council member, we'll be forced to haul our asses up to the CP, and then our evening will be completely ruined."

The words themselves are harsh but belie the levity in the man's voice. A mischievous, almost criminal grin accompanies the statement, along with another rude gesture toward the Bothan.

The next ten minutes are complete agony for the master and padawan as they struggle to keep their eyes open, which results in several hilarious expressions ranging from shocked to scared to silly to psychotic. It is a joyous moment, one worthy of intense celebration, when Master What's-Her-Name finally wraps up her four-hour lecture on something or other. Masters, knights, padawans, and yawning initiates file out of the cramped room, miraculously able to recall specific details of the lecture.

"Well, that was educational," the master grumbles. "Four hours of my life I will never get back."

"And now another two or three spent in front of the Council," his apprentice quips.

"There's a lesson to be learned from this, Padawan."

"I know. Since you're having trouble finding it, would you like me to teach it to you?"

"I asked you before, kid, if you wanted KP."

Unable to hold his laughter in any longer, Obi-Wan Kenobi doubles over, only to find himself hauled upright again when his master pulls him into a loose headlock. "Master! People are watching!"

Xanatos deCrion just smiles and knuckles the top of his padawan's head, his fingers brushing through reddish spikes. "You should've thought of that before. How many times must I preach the importance of foresight?"

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Xaniwan IS good! I loved this! I have spent hours of my life like this, wondering what I've done to deserve such a fate! I remember one childbirth conference in particular, with a speaker who was very impressed with herself. Too bad we didn't share her enthusiasm!

Dark blue eyes narrow as the master glares back. "Please," he snorts. "You can't possibly find this interesting."

"Since you are obviously not interested, perhaps you should leave."

"And miss the golden opportunity to annoy the hell out of you? I think not."

The Bothan huffs and turns back around, never seeing the rude gesture that the master aims at his back. Rather than gasp in shock, the padawan bites his lip to keep from laughing. "You realize, Master," he says, struggling to form the words, "that this will not help us the next time we're facing the Council."

These two are just too cute together. Now, I wonder who makes XAN behave? Obviously, the answer is no one!

14. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    That was so cute!!

I'm sooo enjoying all these stories! You guys are the greatest! :D

15. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] Loved it! But I want the entire fic. :( More? Please? [face_batting]

16. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    They make a good pair. [face_laugh] I imagine together, they are capable of much more trouble. :D Xan would always find a way to make it more interesting. [face_love]

17. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] That was great, loved the interaction between Xan and Obi. I agree with OE, where's the rest of it? This is one you've got to expand on Jade. :D

18. fallen_one

fallen_one Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2004
    The challenge stories have been indexed on page one. :)

19. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Just catching up with these. You guys have done a great job! I've been wanting to do some of these challenges. :D

Layren Loved the Sticks and Bones. And when Qui tells Xani to 'shut up!' about Han'yai giving him his 'old' room back [face_laugh] Great job!

o_e Eitan! Xanatos! [face_love] That was so much fun to read. That was very haunting having Xani promise to hunt down the dark person in Obi's dreams. Really well done.

VL That was powerful! Poor Xani and Obi, I just loved their conversation together here, so sad and moving.

And another one! :D Xani and Obi-Wan are so cute here. It was nice having a lighter one after the first one. Very telling when Obi-Wan puts a hand on Xani's arm and asks him what he really wants. Really like these VL!

Jade Xani and Obi are so cute here! [face_love] I can just see them both trying to stay awake [face_laugh]

20. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Ok, wellll....I don't think this 'technically' fits into the first challenge. But when I set out to write Xani and Qui this is the only thing that my muse would let me write! :_| *Sniffle*

And You Always Come Back

How familiar the ocean world of Rigan VI was, he could taste the salt even in his dreams. Qui-Gon had landed in the usual place, knowing during each part of his descent that he was being watched. But as agreed, he had come alone, and had been unbothered.

Qui-Gon felt the cold penetrating his skin as he sat down on a boulder, looking out over a large cliff, and feeling the spray of the waves coming up into the wind. The sun was starting to set and several birds made their last dive for food on the waves.

As always, he did not move, as he felt the familiar presence move behind him.

?You must watch your back more carefully, Master,? Xanatos Decrion said as he moved stealthily up the hill and stood beside Qui-Gon, gazing out at the horizon. ?It is very dangerous to leave yourself open like that.? Xanatos smiled at his old Master.

Qui-Gon stood and faced him, as the breeze swept his long hair back. He watched Xanatos a moment, feeling the familiar darkness, knowing nothing had changed. ?It?s been a long time, Padawan.?

?And yet, you always come back to me.? His blue eyes twinkled knowingly. ?Indeed, Master, I have even made a room for you at my home here, thinking one of these days, you will never leave.?

?I?ve always thought I could change your mind, Xanatos.?

?To the point of obsession, my Master. Did you really think that by staging my death, and keeping me to yourself for so long, you would change me?? He shook his head. ?In fact, I think I almost convinced you.? He laughed, his voice being carried out into the wind. ?Only a few more days, eh, Master??

Qui-Gon could only smile. ?You know I truly regret taking you captive, Xanatos. Though I do not regret trying to bring you to your senses.?

Xanatos appeared truly hurt. ?You do not approve of what I?ve become??

?You do not listen to the Force, you only use it.? He reached out to Xanatos, taking his arm. ?And I did let you go??

Xanatos broke free of Qui-Gon?s grip. ?Only after numerous lectures on how my ?destiny was my own.?? He moved angrily away from his Master. ?I have done well for myself, Qui-Gon. I just wonder what the Council would think if they knew about our little visits? Or if they knew you let me live? I wonder why you always come back?? There was a cold silence between them. Qui-Gon sat back down heavily on the boulder, letting it support his weight. His head came down onto his hands, wearily.

A hand came down on Qui-Gon?s shoulder. ?Perhaps, you are finally becoming tired of the Jedi?s insufferable company? I am sure your visits to me, are a breath of fresh air.?

?Is it so wrong to want to know how you are doing?? Qui-Gon looked up at his Padawan, concern apparent on his face. His eyes held Xanatos? gaze. ?Some bonds can never be broken, Xanatos. One day you will understand this.? The words hung in the air as the sun made its way completely below the horizon. A chill came up from the mist of crashing waves below.

?Come on, Master.? Xanatos offered his hand. ?Come back with me, where it is warm and we can talk.?

Qui-Gon shook his head. Xanatos laughed. ?Of course, always so stubborn. What?s the matter, Master? Afraid the darkness will rub off on you??

?No, no, my Padawan. I, at least, know better than to come to your lair. But I am truly glad you still agree to meet with me.? He smiled at his old Padawan, taking his hand.

?I will always meet with you, Master. And one day, you will open your eyes, and you will come with me.? Xanatos moved to help Qui-Gon up.

Qui-Gon stood beside and Xanatos and watched his Padawan closely. ?I will never agree with what you have become, but I will always love the person you are.?

Xanatos looked over at the darkening sky as he spoke, his face seeming unmoved. ?One day you will kn

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    :_| That was beautiful! So sad that Qui-Gon wouldn't allow himself to enter Xan's home. It's wonderful though that they continued to spend time with one another. I truly loved this and I even liked Jinn. :eek: Great job! =D=

22. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I like this! It seems almost bittersweet and its still so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a little confused - is Xan confined to the planet?

I really like that they seem to still have a good relationship. Wonderful job tangled_sphere!

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    tangled_sphere WOW! I'm impressed! That's about all I can say! Wonderful!

24. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    o_e, Jedi Hunter, and VL Thank you for reading! I was worried that it didn't 'quite' meet the criteria ;) Hunter, I was thinking (as much thinking as my brain will allow) :p that Xani primarily resided there and conducted business there to hide his identity from the Jedi.

Thank you so much you guys! [:D]

25. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great t_s!!! Loved how Qui kept coming back ;) ever so hopeful in returning him to the Light!

:D Great work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.