main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Lair's Xanatos Challenge Stories - Updated 11/20! VaderLVR

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by fallen_one, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks my paddy sister Kyn [face_love]

I want to do the next challenge but I'm getting my Xani fix from o_e's Broken Wings ;)

Anyone else's muse working on these?

2. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Finally, I can post my response to the Xaniwan challenge. I've been without internet for almost three months and it was a hard time, but I'm now back to posting. :D Sorry for being so late. I struggled with this one, so I would appreciate it if you told me what you think. :)

Need To Know

The planet of Thebor wasn't a place many called home willingly. It lacked everything that made a place attractive. Having no valuable resources, no natural beauty to speak of and no tourist attractions, it was a wonder that anyone was able to make a living there. The weather was mostly cold and rainy, the few inhabitants were farmers growing crops that needed a clammy climate. It was the perfect place to hide. And yet, it wasn't the final destination of the man huddling in a grey cloak on the landing field of the only spaceport. This was merely another stop, another attempt to throw possible pursuers off his track.

Had anyone looked into the man's face, they would have had a hard time guessing his age. The hunched posture was that of an old man, while the greying hair and many lines betrayed the otherwise youthful features.

The man observing him was roughly fifteen years older. He was clothed in a black cloak that hid anything underneath. His face was pale and his eyes a startling blue. His gaze was focused on the other man, but he was completely aware of every being on the grey and rainy field.

Xanatos Crion watched the other man without blinking, waiting for visual confirmation of what he had already felt before even setting foot on the planet. It didn't take long for his sharp senses to find what he was looking for. There, beneath the grey cloak was a tiny movement. Making sure one more time that nobody was paying any attention, Xanatos made his way over to the man. When he was only a few meters away, he let drop the shields that masked his presence in the Force. The other man's head shot up and the bundle under the cloak was pressed tighter against his chest. It took only a second for him to realise who he was facing and only another to stand up, his hand going to the lightsabre Xanatos knew was concealed at his side. He smirked, shaking his head in a superior manner.

"What's the matter, Obi-Wan? No joy at all at seeing an old friend?"

Obi-Wan's face took on a look of pure hatred and under the cloak the weapon was unclipped. "What do you want, Xanatos?"

The other just smirked a bit wider. "Now, don't let us be hostile. I won't do you any harm, but I must admit that I'm rather interested in your small charge."

The hatred transformed to fear so fast that it took even Xanatos by surprise. One of Obi-Wan's hands appeared from under his cloak, now holding the cylindrical weapon. "You won't get him. You'd have to kill me first."

"While I would have found that amusing when Qui-Gon was still alive, I just can't find anything to my advantage in such an action now. And please, Obi-Wan, you don't want to ignite your lightsabre out here and draw unwanted attention, do you?"

Obi-Wan ignored him, his words only a harsh whisper. "I should have known that you would appear in the picture sooner or later, Xanatos. Who would make a better ally for destroying the Jedi than Sidious?"

Silence filled the air for several moments, the shock on the older man's face apparent to anyone who would look. Then he stirred into action, taking a step towards Obi-Wan, his voice lowering dangerously. "You listen to me. I have never had anything to do with Sidious and the Sith. I have never brought harm to anyone I wasn't directly involved with. The Sith want to plunge this galaxy into total darkness. All they want is control and power. I will never be the one to help them on the way."

The younger man's eyes narrowed and he snorted derisively. "Never brought harm to anyone? What about the Temple? What about all of the innocent beings you almost killed then? Didn't you mean it, Xanatos? Thought that you were right in taking those actions? You're sick and twisted. You don?t deserve to live."

The moment tha

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhh that was eerie! Great job! Poor Obi... and Xan for that matter! Loved that last question "Do you still hate him?" And the answer of "He's dead now." Man!

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Xaniwan! Something about those two together in a story makes me do the following: :) [face_love] :* [face_dancing]

Lovely. I'm curious as to why Xan felt a need to know? Was it because with the Jedi all but wiped out, he suddenly felt very alone and had a need to know where the handful of ones left were? [face_thinking] Lovely anyway. :)

5. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    That was beautiful and eerie Indra I just wonder why Xani wanted to know and why at last Obi-Wan told him. Really well done!

6. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Another Xaniwan attempt [face_blush]

Destiny

Obi-Wan froze in terror as the steps came closer. He had left his Master, snuck away from the sleeping quarters on a hunch that had proved all too true. The door punched open and Obi-Wan squeezed deeper into the shadows of the corner, holding his breath.

But the feeling was undeniable. Whoever was coming had the signature of the Force in their aura but not like any Jedi he had ever met. The mind that reached out to him was filled with purpose, and supreme confidence.

The mind that moved forward in the shadows, did not feel like Qui-Gon's gentle touch through the Force. Obi-Wan shivered inside but did not move.

"You cannot hold your breath forever, young one." The amusement seeped from the voice and Obi-Wan caught hiself releasing the air he had been holding.

The holo light flicked on at the same moment and Obi-Wan was temporarily blinded, blinking desperately to regain his vision. The next words reached out for him. "Come out, little Jedi. I won't hurt you."

Knowing it was only a matter of time before he was found, Obi-Wan stood up as soon as his eyes adjusted, regarding his opponent for the first time. Just as he thought, it was the man Qui-Gon had spoken to when they first arrived on this world. The one who faced him curiously, was tall, immaculately dressed in black with dark hair down to his shoulders and piercing blue eyes.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi," he said with relish. "We have not been formally introduced. I am Xanatos DeCrion, former apprentice to Qui-Gon Jinn."

Obi-Wan tried to hide his surprise, inclining his head in greeting. His eye's glanced over at the only exit that Xanatos was now blocking.

"You wonder, don't you?" What would Qui-Gon be like as a Master?" Xanatos moved closer and Obi-Wan continued to back up just out of reach. The training saber Qui-Gon had given him for this mission, came automatically into his grip.

Xanatos supressed a smile. "I would not start something you cannot finish, young one. I am only asking you to talk. Surely a Jedi would choose negotiation over fighting?" He continued to watch Obi-Wan curiously.

Obi-Wan released his grip on the saber and looked up nervously as Xanatos continued to approach him. Xanatos continued to speak, warmth entering the words that he spoke. "We have more in common than you can possibly imagine, Obi-Wan. Wouldn't you like to know more about the one you want to call Master?"

Obi-Wan shook his head 'no' and took another step back realizing as he hit his head on the wooden wall behind him that he had gone as far as he could.

Xanatos smiled warmly at him. "Believe me, you are missing nothing by not being chosen by him. As a matter of fact," he looked appraisingly at the young boy, "Agricorps would be a kinder fate." Xanatos' actually moved back, a pained expression on his face and Obi-Wan looked at him questioningly, noticing for the first time the circular scar on his cheek. Xanatos faced away from Obi-Wan and seemed to speak to the air, "I wish I had never met Qui-Gon..." He came back and looked directly at the young boy trying so hard to maintain his calm. "He ruined my life, little one."

Obi-Wan knew his words were lies but he could not help but be interested. The last month had been filled with uncertainty, not knowing day by day if Qui-Gon was going to send him away. He had been strangely moody since meeting the man now before him. He looked back at the exit and then at Xanatos, who had retreated further, sitting leisurely on one of the iron desks lining the little room, his legs swinging absently in front of him.

"How?" Obi-Wan found himself saying, moving cautiously towards the exit.

Xanatos remained calm, another smile not quite escaping at Obi-Wan's words. "He took me on as his apprentice for purely selfish reasons. Power being one of them." He watched Obi-Wan meander closer to the door. "When I decided to leave him to return to my family, he killed my father in his jealousy."

Obi-Wan stopped in his track

7. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    arghhh!!! [face_plain] * frantically searches thread for remainder of the post*

Loved it but where's the rest?! Longer fic? Please? I'm not above begging for more Xaniwan. [-o|

8. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Gah! t_s! I quote herewith from the Readers' Book of Rules for Honourable Writing:

Authors shall not write vignettes that are too short and leave readers panting for more. That is deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment. It is therefore deemed acceptable for readers of said vignettes to hunt authors of said vignettes with pitchforks, spears, cyberhounds or whatever other instruments come to hand.

I trust we now understand each other and I do look forward to the rest of the story.

Waiting expectantly,

Shaindl

9. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow.... heavy there sis! Wowzers! Is there to be more?? [face_batting] Ahhh come on purty p'ease?? ;) hehehehe

Great work! Loved how you did Xan! So sly and so truthful... in a certain point of view *snrk* hehehe

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Yeah, what Shaindl said!!!! Loved the whole scenerio. I assume that you WILL be continuing this one or else [face_devil]

Great job. I expecially loved that Obi hit his head as he backed up!

11. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    <-----*Hides behind her really FEROCIOUS looking icon* ;) Cyberhounds!!! EEEK!!! Thanks for reading you guys! [:D] When Xani says the words in this piece, "Don't start what you can't finish," I was just grimacing because I knew I was writing that about myself! :D Definitely will write more on this one, it's too much fun.

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    *Wiggles eyebrows* I don't think he'll be able to protect you for long, dearie! o_e, Shaindl, and diane get ready to grab her while I 'distract' a certain lusty Count if she decides to back out of her deal there! [face_mischief] hehehehehe

13. Jaxx_w

Jaxx_w Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    Two great stories in one big chunk! Nice one Indra and t_s! =D=

And whats this I hear....there may be more of Dentiny? ...if the count is distracted and t_s is forced to sit and write without any food or drink until more is created? Hurrah! I shall help with this task. 8-}

14. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Where the hell's the rest of this?

15. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    what

Get back here and finish this. OE's not above begging, and neither are the rest of us!

Clearly, we are desperate little puppies. :p

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I hadn't checked in on this thread for a while and I've been missing some brilliant stories! Wonderful job!

17. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    tangled_sphere, And You Always Come Back
    I liked Qui and Xan standing firmly on their own views of the force, each sure they would convince the other to see their way. It was comforting that they can?t help caring about the other. :)

Indra, Need To Know
    Obi-Wan frazzled state was perfect after all that happened to him. Meeting Xanatos after so much would have been enough to break his strength. I thought Xan needing to know what happened fits with his controlling personality.

I liked Xan?s admission of doing wrong by Obi-Wan, it showed even Xan had time to consider his actions. Obi-Wan trusting him with the truth was amazing but fit how I expect he would put trust in the most unlikely person. You still kept Xan?s hard determination throughout. Nice. :D

After reading the other responses I like the thought they were now two alone in the galaxy that share a past.

tangled_sphere, Destiny
    That was great. :) Obi-Wan?s need to get away stopped by his curiosity. I loved Xan?s attitude and mannerism. Him snatching Obi-Wan at the end was such a cliffie.

talk about setup! [face_batting] agrees with the others... [face_hypnotized] must have more...

18. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Congrats to the vigs and authors that have been nommed so far! Xan will take over the boards, ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

But not without Obi, of course. [face_batting]

19. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Go Xani! <evil grin> Congrats you guys!

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Here is my response to the latest challenge to place Xan in the OT.

A Gift from the Past

It was a soft knocking at his door that pulled him from his meditation. He sighed as he came up from those warm currents, wondering who might have lost their way and come to his door.

Opening it, he squinted against the setting suns of Tatooine. A stranger stood there, the light surrounding him in a soft nimbus of red as the twin suns set behind him.

?May I help you?? he asked.

?If you are Obi-Wan Kenobi, then yes, you may be able to help me.? The voice was husky and had an accent that he could not quite place.

Ben frowned as he peered into the hood the stranger wore, trying to see his face. Oddly enough, he could sense very little about him through the Force. Was this a refugee Jedi? Or an Imperial agent?

No, neither of those choices felt right.

?My name is Ben,? he finally answered ? firmly.

A chuckle came from within the hood. ?You may call yourself what you like.? The stranger seemed amused.

Two elegant hands rose to the hood and pushed it back. Ben stared for a moment. His first thought was that this must be a dream, or a nightmare. His second thought was that perhaps he had finally gone insane ? for real.

Arresting blue eyes met his, sparkling with amusement. And on the cheek was the scar; a broken circle, still as distinct as the last time he had seen it.

?Xanatos?? Ben could say no more; each word seemed stuck in his throat.

?You?ve been a hard fellow to track down,? Xanatos murmured. ?Can I come in??

Ben stood aside in dumb shock.

Xanatos ducked through the doorway and entered the hut Ben had called home for almost two decades. Xan?s eyes roamed over the sparse furnishings, a wry smile tugging at his lips. ?Still a minimalist, I see.?

Ben merely stared at him. Remembering his manners, which seemed almost absurd given the situation, he spoke at last. ?Won?t you have a seat??

?Thank you,? Xanatos replied as he sat down.

The two old enemies studied each other.

Xanatos saw a man much more ravaged by the years than he should have been. Obi-Wan?s hair was white and thinning and the harsh elements had creased and weathered his skin. Only the voice was the same, cultured and distinguished.

Ben took in the blue eyes that would always be distinctive. The pale, aristocratic features were surrounded by thick white hair that hung straight to broad shoulders. The scar was still there, of course. But the eyes looked different somehow. Not physically different, but? He stopped. What did it matter?

?You look like bantha dung, Kenobi,? Xanatos said.

Annoyance flashed in Ben?s eyes. ?Did you come here to trade insults? If so, I will concede the battle and you can be on your way.?

A bark of laughter escaped Xanatos and he shook his head. ?You still don?t like me, do you Kenobi??

?Is there any reason I should?? he asked dryly, arching one brow.

Xanatos stared at him for a moment and then nodded. ?No, I guess not. But perhaps I will be able to change your mind about me, at least to some degree.?

?Ah, so I?m looking at a changed man, am I?? Ben?s disbelief was clear. ?How wonderful! Congratulations. Is there anything else??

?Shut up,? Xanatos growled. I?ve come to help.?

Ben sat back with a grimace. ?And why would I want your help? Especially since I don?t need any help.?

His visitor looked around. ?I can see you?re doing quite well on your own,? he smirked.

?Well, I?ve managed not to murder anyone lately. Can you say the same??

The former Jedi chuckled. ?I had forgotten how biting your wit was, Kenobi.?

?Well, it?s been wonderful catching up. Let?s do this again in another thirty or forty years, shall we?? Ben stood up, clearly meaning for his unwelcome visitor to leave, but he remained seated.

Xan?s quiet voice cut through the tense silence. ?Tell me, are you going to train Anakin?s son to kill him??

Ben paled at the question and sank back down to his seat. He hung his head in his hands, utter defeat makin

21. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Yay! Xan is there to save the day! :D

Six daughters, that made me laugh too. Serves him right for the trouble he caused. [face_laugh] Imagining him helping the rebellion would change history as we know it. ;) More interesting, that?s for sure. :)

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I love that VL! :) It's wonderful to imagine Xan could have found something in his life to change him back into the man he was capable of being. Great job but as with all of the viggies on here, I'd love to see what happens next. ;)

23. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    ?It?s true, I was a greedy fool when you knew me,? Xan said. Ben snorted but did not speak. ?But when I heard about Qui-Gon?s death I took a good, hard look at myself and I didn?t like what I saw.?

*sigh* [face_love] Of course he would change his ways!

That was very sweet, VL. Loved that Xan pushed Obi-Wan on to meet Luke. And sporting a white beard! Now that's interesting. :p

24. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    This should be an interesting challenge. Great job, VL on the first contribution.

I look forward to seeing what others come up with. And now to see if my muse will speak to me. She's been rather stubborn lately, I must have done something terribly male and annoying.

25. CapNJaxWench

CapNJaxWench Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2004
    What an idea! Xan in the OT! Woo-hoo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.