main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Lair's Xanatos Challenge Stories - Updated 11/20! VaderLVR

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by fallen_one, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    tangled_sphere What an evil cliffhanger! Wonderful fic. And it's not only Obi-Wan who's confused in this. You've made me wonder whether maybe Xan is right after all and Qui-Gon and the Jedi are wrong. Really well done. So, when will we get the rest? And yes, I know that others have asked this, but obviously it's necessary. :D Loved it.

2. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    VaderLVR64 Now this is really one of those viggies that make me feel all warm inside. :) I love how the two of them are battling for control of the conversation at the beginning and then gradually come to an understanding. And although I don't like the idea of Xan as an old man, I guess if he has to be this is a good way. :D

?Well, I?ve managed not to murder anyone lately. Can you say the same??

That was my favourite. I can just see Obi-Wan saying that. Well done. :)

3. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    VaderLVR This just had me smiling:

?Well, it?s been wonderful catching up. Let?s do this again in another thirty or forty years, shall we?? Ben stood up, clearly meaning for his unwelcome visitor to leave, but he remained seated. [face_laugh]

I just love their interaction VL! I have to tell you, I didn't want it to end, it was beautiful. Seems Xani's met his match: 6 daughters! (And a grandchild on the way!) :D

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Risen From the Ashes

Lord Darth Vader sat in his meditation chamber, a deep, weary breath wheezing through the ventilator he wore. Arms braced, he waited tensely as metal arms reached out to remove the black helmet. It would only be for a few precious minutes, but he treasured each one more and more every day he was forced to bear the weight of the claustrophobic suit.

A loud hiss preceded the lifting of the stifling mask, his badly damaged lungs burning as he drew in a gulp of real air. The cool oxygen was nectar; like food to a starving man. The few parts of him that remained that were still human flesh and blood drank the life-giving air as if trying to quench a deep thirst. He was so enthralled with the brief minutes of freedom from his armored prison that he failed to sense the disturbance in the Force that signaled the close presence of another Force user. Even if he had, he would have quickly discounted it as a specter from his past.

He was, after all, the only living trained Force user here in the galaxy other than the Emperor.

There was a sudden loud pop as the latches on the chamber snapped open, a roar signaling the room?s decompression as the top half raised. Panicked, Vader?s gloved fingers fumbled for the controls that would lower the helmet back into place.

"What is the meaning of this? How dare you interrupt me, you fool?!"

He froze in disbelief as the familiar snap hiss of a lightsaber igniting echoed in the room. His damaged eyes were only capable of making out the blurred red glow of a blade, his hand immediately dropping down to his side. Feeling the reassuring weight of his own weapon, he moved to unclip it, only to stop when he felt the unmistakable heat dangerously close to his vulnerable head.

"I wouldn?t do that if I were you, Lord Vader."

The voice was smooth, cultured, and totally unfamiliar. Vader knew he didn?t have much time left before his ruined lungs would require him to once again don the mask that was equipped with the life giving respirator. His hand moved away from the ?saber, only to clench into a fist of controlled Darkside power that was sure to bring the stranger to his knees.

Yet another shock awaited him as his efforts were effectively repelled by Force powers even stronger than his own. Flooded with a foreign sensation that he finally figured out was panic, Vader did his best to glare menacingly at the stranger.

"Who are you?"

A low, mocking chuckle drifted toward him, increasing his ire. He couldn?t wait to get his hands on whoever this man was. A slow death would be too good for him.

"Let?s just say I?m an old friend of your former Master," were the stranger?s shocking words.

"I only have one Master. I serve the Emperor and no other."

"Ah, yes. Such a devoted servant you are," the mocking voice crooned. "I have to wonder if the Emperor ever worries that you will one day betray him, just as you once betrayed poor Obi-Wan."

Vader had thought himself beyond the ability to feel fear. He was the creature that struck terror in being's hearts, just the sight of him breaking those who once considered themselves to be strong. With just as few sentences, this stranger had reduced him to a mass of shivering nerves.

"That name holds no meaning for me," he stated flatly, determined not to reveal any weakness to this infidel.

That was difficult to pull off when his voice was weak and raspy.

"I must say, Lord Vader, you are not a pretty sight to behold," the man continued with his jeering taunts. "You always did love machines more than flesh and blood beings. Rather fitting that you?ve now become one of those metal monstrosities you once loved so much."

"I?ll kill you with my bare hands," Vader wheezed, lurching to his feet.

The weight of the armor was made even more of a burden from the increasing lack of oxygen being drawn into his shrunken lungs. Reeling with dizziness, Vader blindly began to search for the alarm on the control pad of his chair. He was in no shape to battle the stranger, what power

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Your life will be a complete failure, Anakin Skywalker, and your son Luke will soon be my servant."

Ooooooh! *shivers* I like that! Where's the rest of the story, dammit?!

6. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow! You had me thinking for a moment that Xan would save the galaxy, but I should have known better.
    Well, one could argue that it's better to have Xan as Emperor than Palpatine, at least if you take the obvious differences in appearance into account. :p I love this. It's one of those stories that always has me staring at the computer in astonishment at the end. Really well done.

7. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Oh! :eek: Creepiness ensues! Loved it.

8. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Creepy, creepy, creepy! I loved it o_e!

The descriptions of Vader hungering for air were powerful and then when Xani walks in...he's no longer able to fight...

"I must say, Lord Vader, you are not a pretty sight to behold," the man continued with his jeering taunts. "You always did love machines more than flesh and blood beings. Rather fitting that you?ve now become one of those metal monstrosities you once loved so much."

That is so true...

Oooh, Xani and Luke, I can see it! Xanatos as Emperor. Wonderful vignette :D

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    VaderLVR Nice job with Xan making a change for the better. And even though his motives are selfish, at least Ben could use his help. Good job.

OE Ohhhh. Loved the creepiness of it. Waiting til Vader was most vulnerable before going for the throat. And then his plans for domination. Wonderful.

10. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Xani in the OT [face_blush] Here's my try!

In From the Cold

Hard, cold steel greeted Obi-Wan?s cheek as gazed blurrily into stark white light. Shadows drifted by over time, intertwined by the occasional voice.

?He is ready, my Lord.?

?Dismissed.?

A warm hand came down to Obi-Wan's face. "Obi-Wan Kenobi," the voice said with obvious relish, ?welcome.?

Dry parched lips barely released the word, ??where?? His eyes opened to see a familiar face from the dark murkiness of the past. A past much better left forgotten.

A broken circle? The realization of the man?s identity washed over him with certainty. Xanatos DeCrion.

?You?? Obi-Wan began, but a finger was pressed to his lips. He saw those memorable deep blue eyes gaze at him with an uncanny intelligence. Dark, graying hair, was tied back, blending in with the dark leather he wore, a startling contrast to the endless white lights behind him.

A smile came to Xanatos? lips, perhaps warming under any other circumstance. ?It is I,? he said, bowing to his new guest, ?and a pleasure after all these years.?

Obi-Wan groaned as he attempted to sit up. As he moved on unsteady arms, he found a ready hand, helping him to an upright position. ?That was most careless of you, Kenobi. An Imperial base, no less.? He smiled, amusement clearly sparkling in his eyes. ?Of course they had to use double the stun energy and serums to ensure your cooperation.?

Looking into the other man?s eyes, Obi-Wan remembered clearly the fleeing boy, yelling his name as all light was smothered from existence. ?The Death Star?,? he murmured.

?Not to worry,? Xanatos said and again that maddening smile came back to his face. ?It is thriving. Not to mention the gift you brought to us.?

?Gift?? Obi-Wan began to feel a cold chill starting to grip his heart.

?A gift.? Xanatos repeated, still smiling. Obi-Wan could feel the supreme victory moving off of his old nemesis. ?Yes, I get all the most interesting cases.? He looked meaningfully at Obi-Wan. ?Though never such a distinguished one.? Dark blue eyes met defiant ones as Xanatos continued. ?You see there is only one reason anyone is brought to me.?

Obi-Wan watched him unmoving. Obviously Xanatos was enjoying his growing unease.

?Re-education?? Xanatos placed a hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder and he was met by no resistance. ?Yes,? he continued, ?it is time for you to let go of your decades of suffering.? His eyes appraised Obi-Wan. ?Every line of your face, speaks volumes to me.?

?There are worse fates,? Obi-Wan replied dryly, looking directly at the man in front of him.

Xanatos again smiled. ?Indeed, but what has kept you going these many years?? Obi-Wan felt uncomfortably like a young padawan learner being quizzed by the Jedi Master who already knew the answer.

?You tell me?? Obi-Wan finally said, meeting that gaze with a face masked by decades of practice.

Xanatos leaned in close, whispering in his ear. ?He?s gone. Your reason for suffering is gone??

Cold fear came through that whisper and gripped Obi-Wan with a growing dread. A disappointed look came from Xanatos, obviously he had expected an answer. ?Skywalker?s son was difficult to break, I admire your work. But obviously, it was not enough??

Obi-Wan could not resist any longer and slid down the metal table onto the floor. He moved with lightening speed to push his enemy to the ground. But Xanatos only stepped back, making balance impossible and old bones rebelled against the sudden movement.

A hand came out to catch him as Xanatos grabbed him before the final fall. Looking up at his old nemesis, Obi-Wan thought he saw something. Was that sympathy in Xanatos' eyes? He spoke soothingly to Obi-Wan. ?Come in from the cold, Obi-Wan. Play along with your re-education and perhaps, just perhaps, you will see young Skywalker again.?

Obi-Wan found his feet, leaning against the steel table. A hand reached out for him, both inviting and maddening at once. Looking in

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Good job, TS. I kept saying - 'don't do it, Obi-Wan. It's a trap!' But Obi-Wan didn't listen and took his hand anyway. Darn.

Well done.

12. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    A hand reached out for him, both inviting and maddening at once.

Oooooooh! And where's the rest of it? :D Not enough dark Xaniwan stories out there. Expand! Expand!

13. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    OE
    Xan would be the one to conquer Vader. :D Vader?s struggle was almost touching... almost. :p die, Vader, die. [face_laugh] I loved Xan?s quips to him. Xan is the take charge/TAKE OVER kind of guy!

tangled_sphere
    That was nicely evil. [face_devil] Obi-Wan is giving up?! :eek: Noooooooo! I imagine he would be tired by then. Great portrayal of Xan. His casual smoothness does reflect his cold heart. I always like his way of making a bad fate sound acceptable. ;)

14. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Very evil indeed. If it wasn't Xan I would hate him. :D Obi-Wan's weariness is well shown and how he first resists, but when he realises that there is really no aim left for him, finally gives up. Well done, t_s. :)

15. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    A hand reached out for him, both inviting and maddening at once. Looking into Xanatos? sparkling eyes, Obi-Wan reached out a hesitant hand.

And all was right with the galaxy once more. [face_love] :*

I really liked this one. It's nice to see Obi battered and broken every once in awhile. :)

What? It is! :p Great job!

16. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, only when Xan is there to haul him off as part of his nefarious schemes. :*

17. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Hehehe, go XANI! [face_devil] Thanks for reading you guys, looking forward to more Xan in the OT! *hint, hint, hint* :D

18. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    My own pitiful contribution...

Best Served Cold

?The information?s good,? the man growled.

?I am quite sure it is,? the Dark Lord answered. ?However, the transfer of credits will wait until we have determined the usefulness of it for ourselves.? He paused and then added menacingly, ?Unless you feel yourself ill-used and wish to alter the arrangement??

The man scowled and shook his head. He leaned his head back, his eyes coming up to peer directly into the dark mask of Lord Vader. ?You?ll find that I am well aware with your powers, Vader. Surely you would sense any deception on my part?? The man?s voice was sly, as was the smirk he directed at the towering figure.

?You tread on dangerous ground,? Vader warned.

The man shrugged, his lack of concern evident. ?You?d lose more than I would if you choose to kill me,? he said.

Silence from the dark mask, except for the always present hiss of the respirator. ?You?ll be dead, so how could I lose more than you??

The man could tell the dark figure was amused, but he didn?t dare to think that his amusement would save his life if the Sith chose to end it.

?I am, perhaps, the only being in the galaxy that hates the Jedi more than you and your Emperor,? he said firmly. ?That makes me an asset.?

?Many hate the Jedi,? the voice rumbled.

?Many say they hate the Jedi because it is wise for them to do so,? the man corrected. ?Few will say with any truthfulness that they are personally committed to seeing every Jedi eradicated from the galaxy.?

?And yet you can?? Vader asked doubtfully.

?I can and I do,? the man replied. ?Search my feelings; you know it to be true.?

There was a pause but the man sensed no questing touch through the Force. The silence dragged on but neither of them would do so much as shift his feet. Male posturing at its worst, the man mused. A bark of laughter escaped him at last.

?You find this amusing?? The Dark Lord asked.

?Vastly amusing, Lord Vader,? the man said. ?I?ll wait for my credits since it seems I have little choice in the matter.? He smiled darkly. ?But I predict that you and your Master will soon be asking me to track down more Jedi for you and you?ll find my price has gone up.?

?You sound quite sure of yourself.?

?I?m good at what I do,? the man said. ?And I was doing it long before your Master decided that he wanted to settle his backside on an Imperial throne.?

?You do not show respect, bounty hunter,? Vader said without ire.

?I?ve got no time for social niceties,? he said as he settled his blaster more securely on his hip. ?I?ve got some Jedi to hunt down.?

?Tell me,? Vader said curiously. ?Why do you hate them so??

?That?s my own concern. I?ll get the job done and that?s all you need to worry about.?

?Very well,? the Dark Lord conceded. ?But you must not let your anger against the Jedi make you careless,? he warned. ?It would be a shame to lose an asset.?

The man snorted. ?And you?re one to lecture me about anger??

?There is the hotness of rage, which you harbor, and there is the coldness of revenge,? Vader replied. ?It is best to know the difference.?

The man?s hard blue eyes peered into the opaque blackness of the mask. ?My heart is cold, Lord Vader, rest assured.? He lightly touched the broken circle marring his face and then gave a jaunty salute to the Sith Lord. ?And when I come back I?ll have found another Jedi for you to destroy.?

19. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Xan in the OT? [face_devil] Interesting!

20. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    It is good to have Xan alive and kicking in the OT. I?m sure Vader will use his asset wisely. [face_devil] I like that he holds no fear of Vader or the emperor. Xan has been at his hate longer than Vader at least. :D

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    These have all been great! Let's see Xan has killed Vader (naughty boy!) and purchased Obi-Wan's soul (how sweet to see the boys together again at last) and now he is selling the Jedi to Vader (one little scar and he's still holding a grudge- he gave it to himself anyway!)

Loved them all.

22. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I?m sure Vader will use his asset wisely.

I know I'd use it if I had it. :D I want to say something a bit dirtier, but I'm sure people get the general idea. :p

I agree with VL - one little scar, and he's still hunting them down! [face_laugh] Very nice, BrokenNose.

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    use his asset wisely. [face_batting]

Bet I can think dirtier ones than you. :p

Loved it Broken Nose! All of these would make wonderful longer fics, this one espcecially. Xan as a bounty hunter, hunting down the Jedi and turning them over to the Empire. Weeeeee!!!! =D=

24. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Xan is very busy in the OT, isn't he? :p

25. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Broken Nose :D Ooh, I could see this as a longer fic with Xan hunting down the Jedi. Even though Vader could only see his anger I think he is cold and calculating. Bet he gets his credits ;) Great job :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.