main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico The Land of Dalariel (RPG): next session TBD

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Jan_Solo, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan_Solo

Jan_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Howdy folks. We enjoyed our last game, Empire of the Jedi, a great deal (kudos to GMs Pete and Juan), and now it is time for the next Star Wars RPG. If nobody opposes, the hairy Wookiee and I would like to run another dual-GM campaign similar to our last experiment, Shadows of Dawn.

We have a few ideas about the setting of the new campaign. Think "Star Wars meets Fantasy" (the universe will be Star Wars, but it will feature Fantasy themes and elements). It will also feature completely new characters, both heroes and villains, although you can expect a few characters from Shadows of Dawn to make cameo appearances. The game will take place on the last years of the Old Republic and the birth of the Empire (think of the last half of the Revenge of the Sith movie).

This time around, our campaign will feature more challenging puzzles, tougher opponents, more complex situations to tackle, more difficult decisions for the players to make, and a lot more need (make that a requirement) for actual role-playing. We plan on starting the game sometime in August. More details about the campaign later.

About the groups of players, we are thinking along the same lines as before: split the players into two teams of three players each (perhaps four if the situation merits it). The groups will be organized in the coming weeks, and I have to tell you: don't waste too much time thinking about the character that you want to play. This time around, we will take a non-traditional approach where we will present some character options and the players will have to make a choice. Don't worry though, you still will have the option to customize your characters as you see fit, once you have chosen a "template". More info about this later, too.

So, let's start filling up those slots, shall we? Who is interested in becoming part of history?

1. Pete
    2. Digital
    3. Luis
    4. Roman
    5. Gerardo
    6. Ricardo

2. Roman

Roman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Does one team will be a ?good team? while the other will be a ?bad team? like in Shadow of Dawn, or the team players will decide that as they play?

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm interested.

4. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    There will be two opposing groups with different allegiances, whether they are "good" or "bad" will be relative. ;)

Los interesados añadanse a la lista... Una voz de ultratumba me menciono que Luis esta interesado tambien.

5. digital-skywalker

digital-skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    count me in... i shall help make history!

6. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Ok, so far we have:

1. Pete
    2. Digital
    3. Luis
    4. Roman?

If there are any other questions, let us know!

7. Roman

May 30, 2002
    Cool, a chance to play someone who isn?t a 100% goody-two-shoes.

1. Pete
    2. Digital
    3. Luis
    4. Roman?

8. Khal_DRhonn

Khal_DRhonn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2002
    I'm always up for a good romp in RPG-land! ;)

9. Roman

May 30, 2002
    Hero Machine (character portrait creator) :cool:
    Found this little application that allows you to ?draw? your character. Means that the program help you by allowing you to select skin, hair, [face_cowboy], pants, belts, weapons (can be a different one for each hand!), shields, etc?

There is a free demo, but only includes fantasy, superhero and sport, so is a bit difficult to create a sci-fi character with the demo (well, Han Solo blaster is here! [face_whistling]).

10. Rao

Rao Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    count me in

11. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    1. Pete
    2. Digital
    3. Luis
    4. Roman
    5. Gerardo
    6. Ricardo

Excellent. Six players have already taken a bold step forward. Next week you all will be presented with a choice you must make. This choice will determine the character that you will portray in this grand adventure. Stay tuned!

12. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Greetings, brave adventurers. You will soon be taken to a world full of action, intrigue, and excitement. As promised, today the six of you will be presented with a choice. A choice that will determine which role you will play inside the journey on which you are about to embark. You have until the beginning of next week to make up your mind about this choice. You shall make a primary choice and a secondary choice.

In the Experimental RPG, Part II, I will excel at portraying...
    1. A male mercenary.
    2. A female Force-user.
    3. A clone soldier.
    4. A droid.
    5. A male Elf.
    6. A female Elf.

To make your choice: send me a private message with your primary and secondary choices. In the case where more than one player makes the same primary choice, the choice will be determined randomly. If your primary choice ends up being assigned to someone else, the secondary choice would then take effect. I believe this is all pretty much self-explanatory. In case of doubts, ask for enlightenment.

And choose wisely.

13. Roman

May 30, 2002
    Send you my PM.
    I?m assuming that clone soldier = clone trooper.

14. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    That is a correct assumption, Roman.

Thanks to all who have sent in their preferred character choices. Something really interesting has happened. With the exception of one person, all of you sent the same primary/secondary choices combination. Which forces me to ask you all for a third choice. Again, send it to me by PM (those of you who haven't done so already), and try to step out of your comfort zone for a change. It will make the game much more interesting.

15. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Can you tell us who are the ones that need to resend choices?

16. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Nobody needs to re-send choices. However, it would help if the following players submit a third choice:

1. Roman
    2. Gerry
    3. Ricardo
    4. Luis

17. TUMBARK_WOOKIE

TUMBARK_WOOKIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    WOW, you don't know the magnitud of hell you guys have just stumbled upon!! Luckily this time it's not good or evil. It's completely balanced. Now lets see which 3 will be the lucky monkeys to play with me!

18. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Or maybe, it's time to rethink your whole "let's make it a set character thing".

Give more choices.

you'll have those two from me. for now

19. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    The "set character thing" was stated since the beginning. Those who signed up for the game knew what they were getting into. Those are the six options we have, and that is how it's going to be.

Thanks to those of you who have sent in their third choice. I should be letting you guys know the character that you will portray by the beginning of next week.

20. Roman

May 30, 2002
    Send my third, and a optional fourth options.

21. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    I knew that, and I signed up for it

I'm just saying: "what were the odds of what's happened hapenning?"

If so I think that you could give more options and still keep the balance that you need.

But if that can't be so.

Then I guess I'll be a gentleman and say: "If you cannot give me what I asked of you, I'll get the last character you have left, after everybody gets theirs.

22. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Since we are the same group from Shadows of Dawn, we can maybe switch GMs this time to make things interesting.

23. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    Rao, think of this campaign as something similar to a console RPG (Knights of the Old Republic, for example), where there is a defined storyline and where you get to follow the story and point of view of a set of characters. This does not mean that the story is set on a pre-defined path and that the players cannot alter it, and it also does not mean that you don't get to customize your characters as you see fit.

Usually when we play an RPG we create the characters first and then we slap a story around them. This time, Tumbark and I have decided to take another approach. We have created a new world, and a grand adventure that is to take place in this world. We have six main characters in our story. Each of them has a set race and primary class, belongs to a certain group, and has an important role to play in the story. We provide the "template" of the characters, you guys modify them to your tastes (appearance, secondary classes if you want them, skills, feats, etc.).

I am sorry that you find the selection of characters lacking. But we really cannot change them at this point. And judging from the fact that most people want to pick the same character, there will be a significant "randomness" factor on the characters that you all will end up playing. Also, this "randomness" factor will determine which GM you end up playing with.

I wish you could open up your horizons and try something new. I am going to have to ask you guys to bear with us and show more enthusiasm about the game. My apologies in advance if the character (or GM) that you end up playing with, is not to your liking. I know this thing about having to pick a character can feel uncomfortable. However, we will not simply hand you a completed character sheet, instead we will sit down with all of you to actually create the character sheets together. And when we do that, we shall do everything possible to adjust the "template" to suit your needs and tastes.

24. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    You don't have to apology.

And I never doubted that you would extend a certain amount of liberty when creating our characters. I'm just a little dissapointed that my choices were the same that almost everyone else and that my favored choices were not entirely available. Nevertheless, I'll take whichever character you give me and make it my own.

All that explaining was not necesary, but I thank you nonetheless.

With this I bid you farewell, until we meet again.

25. Jan_Solo

Apr 26, 2002
    I also am disappointed by that. But if we can have the full support of the players, and if we work together, we can work it through and create an adventure that we can all feel comfortable with and enjoy fully. Trust me, you will all like your characters very much, even if you dread the thought of playing a female.

I decided to explain in detail in case that some of the players may still not have a clear idea about the campaign. I thought I had explained it well before, but then afterwards I started thinking, "maybe I did not make it too clear?" So now I hope that helps to give you all a good idea of what we're doing.

I really want this thing to work and you guys to enjoy it. Please, if there are any doubts, concerns, comments, etc. feel free to let the GMs know. It would help to get feedback on this from the rest of the players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.