Amph The Land of Middle Earth: Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I've only read LotR twice, and only in German (newer translation). If I get around to it, I'll read it in English this year. Last year I actually managed to read the Silmarillion.
    I read The Hobbit about three years ago, but in English. I like it better than parts of LotR and vice versa.

Can't really name favorite chapters - although I definitely favor the ones with action and suspense, rather than those of pure travelling and talking.

On my last read, I found TTT's second part incredibly boring, though. [face_worried]
  2. Raja_Io Jedi Master

star 4
    TLJ, nothing to be ashamed of, I used to find it boring too. It just depends on your attitude. If you read the book as "just" a fantasy novel, you look for action, lots of fighting and sorcery. The fourth book doesn't fit it. But when you get back to it, being a fan (or confessor) yet, you look at things in different way, you seek for something deeper (at least theoretically). Thus lack of action doesn't bother you.

I haven't read it in English yet too, though I've got the pack - LOTR and The Hobbit paperbacks. [face_blush]
  3. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight

star 5
    Finally! I finished RotK!

TLJ, I've only read it in English :p

Now that I have read it . . . I can watch the movies [face_dancing] Too bad I didn't get it done when they were in the theater. :oops:
  4. Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Riddles in the Dark is definately my favortie chapter of the Hobbit.
  5. Tanya_R Jedi Youngling

I use to re-read LOTR and Earthsea each year since I was 11 years old)
  6. Amon_Amarth Jedi Master

star 6

That chapter is awesome. I think it is the first time readers meet Gollum. When I read the Hobbit for the second time (after I've read LOTR trilogy), I was so excited when I came to this chapter.
  7. jag29 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    We did see the Scouring of The Shire. It was set in the FOTR, when Frodo was looking into the water in Lothlorien. Lady Galadriel was letting him see a glimpse of the future.

I am reading The Hobbit with my seven year old daughter now. She always wants to watch the extended editions of LOTR. Sometimes even more than I do.

Jag29
  8. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i like how he weaves in little things happening in remote areas. like when you read the hobbit you'll notice that gandalf goes away but in lotr you will learn that this the time that gandalf meets up with galadriel et al to decide sauron's fate.
  9. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    I didn't get into LOTR until I was dragged to see Fellowship by a friend. I fell in love with the story and I checked out the trilogy the very next week. The movies are incredibly amazing and truly show Tolkien's world and is true to the spirit of the books. I was disappointed by a few of the changes but I got over it. Both the books and the movies are special to me in their own way.

I've read LOTR dozens of times, plus The Silmarrilion, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, and The Book of Lost Tales. They all astound me, Tolkien truly had a big imagination. I have heard that they are going to make THe Hobbit, and there is a online petition going on right now.

My vote for favorite chapter is also for The Scouring of the Shire. I love hobbits... If my sn wasn't obvious enough.
  10. lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [face_blush] Guilty. In the extreme. [face_blush]

I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings for what I think is the sixth time (possibly fifth, I can't really remember), before I launch into Christopher Tolkien's The History of Middle-earth series, Professor Tolkien's Letters, Tom Shippey's books The Road to Middle-earth and J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century, and other related material. It sounds obsessive, I know, but the reason is that, for my final year at school in 'English Extension 2' (as they call it here in Australia), I'm doing a critical response 'major work' (only about 4,000 words) on Tolkien for my remaining three terms.

The only problem is, I don't have a thesis yet, and this is the time when I really should be starting to work on it...[face_worried]
  11. Tsu-Jii Jedi Youngling

I liked the Hobbit, and I love LotR. Although I always get stuck in the TTT parts. I really enjoy the beginning, when all is peaceful and full of songs, and the whole ring business hasn´t taken over as much. I even like the Black Riders better in the first part, they seem much more scary to me.

Right now I´m on the Silmarillion, but it´s really hard to remember all the names and relations. If anyone has an idea how to read it best (maybe it´s easier starting in the middle?) I´d be grateful, because I really like how it´s written.
  12. lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Tsu-Jii: The Silmarillion gets harder to read in the middle, if anything. I found my second reading much easier than my first.
  13. Raja_Io Jedi Master

star 4
    Another person who finds the Smeagol-Sam-Frodo triangle not exciting enough? o_O[face_laugh]

Really, when I watched the movies I thought Jackson had been going to show it as, um, some sort of erotic relationship? All those whispering, jealousy, net of lies...
  14. Raja_Io Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to say:

I AM SORRY. I KILLED IT... :_|
  15. emilsson Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sam and Frodo have their moments in the books too that can be interpreted in an erotic kind if one is inclined to do so ;).

It usually cracks me up.

Tsu-Jii, Tolkien's way of naming of characters comes from the old Icelandic sagas where the story starts with telling the main character's kin. It can be quite frustrating at times, but in that time period it was important. :)
  16. Raja_Io Jedi Master

star 4
    The best way to read Silmarillion for the first time is to take two books, and while reading one of them, looking up things you forgot from the beginning in the other one :p
  17. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    When I first read TTT, it was so difficult. I mean you had the story of story of the Ringbearer, the Three Hunters and the Ents and it just seemed difficult to keep the stories straight. It was easier with ROTK, but that seemed to be sort of a rip off with only 3.5 chapters in Mordor when the Battle of Gondor had like half the book.
  18. -Courtney- Jedi Knight

star 5
    I love LOTR but I think it is a shame that it will never live on in the same way that Star Wars does, because Tolkien is dead, so it is not like he nor any one else can write EU, a TV series is out of the question (television is not worthy of the Silmarilion) & the fan fiction gets repetetive after awhile, few people have made fan films either. It is not as famous or as main stream as Star Wars because there is just so much detail in the story that few people are able to understand it & therefore are not interested in it.

I hate Sony Pictures, they are sueing so many companies over their films, it is their fault that we must wait another three years before The Hobbit. They are also sueing the Weinstien Company over Factory Girl, not that it is very important but it does have Hayden Christensen in it.
  19. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Has anyone read the original edition of the Hobbit? Before the whole finding of the ring was changed to fit LOTR?
  20. Raja_Io Jedi Master

star 4

I, actually, am quite happy about the lack of Expanded Middle Earth. That's one of major drawbacks of SW for me, constant changing, heaps of contradictions... While Arda is constant and everlasting, being a whole.

The Professor >>>>> GL :D
  21. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7

The movies and books left me with a plethora of unanswered questions, to be honest.
  22. dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling

star 3
    How so? I always thought that the questions were adequately answered, if not in the LotR trilogy then in the Silmarillion. While I might have wanted more detail (like on Hadhodrond and its fall) there were never any big questions I had.
  23. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7

How pure conversational boredom equates with electric fan accolade, for starters.

These questions may have been answered which I overlooked amongst the endless and and more talking, but here goes. Why was Aragorn rangering around and not on the throne? Arathorn his father did something wrong? Why does Tolkien take a page or even more just to show Gandalf explaining how he escaped Saruman's hospitality? Why do dwarfs hate elfs? Why the citizens weren't breeding enough these past thousands of years since Sauron's death, that their numbers are so horrifically low? Gondor fielded a few thousand, against hundreds of thousands of militant orcs.

I have a lot of questions, and again I don't know/remember if they were answered in the trilogy. But I knew nothing about these idiot heroes I was reading, no background at all. They were just there, and badly characterised I might add.

My other issues relates to the writing structure of the books, a different topic.
  24. -Phoenix- Jedi Master

star 5
    I think The Hobbit was my favourite of the series.
  25. Raja_Io Jedi Master

star 4
    :rolleyes: @Excellence...

Why was Aragorn rangering around and not on the throne? Arathorn his father did something wrong?
    This was said in the book. If you do not agree with the principles of Gondor's genealogy, it does not mean that the story is incomplete.

Why does Tolkien take a page or even more just to show Gandalf explaining how he escaped Saruman's hospitality?
    Because I wanted to read it.

Why do dwarfs hate elfs?
    This was in Silmarillion.

Why the citizens weren't breeding enough these past thousands of years since Sauron's death, that their numbers are so horrifically low?
    This was a cunning plan of Sauron. Before he was defeated, he invented condoms and, by his spies in Osgiliath, introduced them among people of Gondor.

And my question is:
    If you did not like the books so much what are you doing here?