main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Land of Middle Earth: Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    About the only source of info re the 4th Age (ie post-LOTR) I know of is the time line appendix to LOTR.

On another topic, I've read that Jackson would like to do a HObbit movie, but that there's a problem with the rights ownership. Which go me thinking, what about a tale from the Silmarrilion, like Beren and Luthien. I'd actually prefer to see that.

2. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    NO WAI! I don't want Jackson to put his hands on Silmarillion! :_|

About Hobbit movie, I hear it was McKellen who was pushing the producers do make it, since he loved Gandalf's character so much. He wanted it to be tv series, so that it could resemble the story exactly (*cough* Arwen in Helm's Deep *cough*).

I think it's quite fine idea.

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Would the Hobbit fit into a three hour movie?

If they tried, they would probably have to cut the trolls, much of what happens in Mirkwood, and, because they (naturally) would extend the battle of five armies, it would compress everything else.

A miniseries is sounding better and better.

4. KILIK

KILIK Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    I was reading the Silmarrilion alittle bit of it. Its hard to read do you guys got any advice?

As for question about the forth age I got it taken care of.

And the Hobbit movie, well... All I got to say, is I just stared reading. Yeah i'm to it. Be I just love it. I put it down to not read it to fast. Its that good!:) As i'm sure alot of not all of you now that. :D

I do not think the Hobbit should be made into a movie. I say that cause, well not only is it a great book, but people in this day and age at least around me. Don't read enough, they just don't. So they just wait for the movie to come out. I guess if its made into a movie it won't be the end of the world.

Now I won't lie when I say I frist got into LOTR when the movies came out. But after picking up the fellowship for only a minute or two. The book just seemed better then movie. All thou I have yet to read the whole thing. It sounded really good. So I guess my list is the Hobbit, then the Silmarrilion or the 4 books i'm not sure which order yet.

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Its hard to read do you guys got any advice?

It picks up steam as it goes. When you reach the end you'll be rereading the beginning. FotR is similar in that respect.

6. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    It was tough to start I think. But it's really cool once you get the hang of the story telling.

dkt

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005

Yeah, I agree. Just looks at the Two Tower. Elves in the Helms Deep?!?!? Puh-lease! imagine if Jackson did the Silmarillion - orcs enjoying a nice walk in Doriath. *sigh*
    The Silmarillion should be done as a documentary.

8. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    The sight of elves in Helm's Deep was so unecessary. It was outrageous to change a so brilliant novel such as one of the works of great Tolkien. Jackson shouldn't be very proud with his work. King Kong sucked. he is overrated as a director.

9. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    That and the exclusion of The Scouring Of The Shire. Thats Jackson pushing his own world ideology into the story. But those two things, while they may not seem like a big deal to alot of people - especially people who only saw the movie, are a HUGE deal in the book.

10. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I am a reader. I love to read.

This was one author I STILL have a hard time with, as many times as I start and keep trying to get through. I do that because I know it is an excellent story. I was rather excited for the movies because at least then I could catch up with the "basics" because yes, they really are there.

Are there any others that are still and will always be working to give Tolkien all the chances he deserves to reach a hard headed brain, and LOVE the discussion between those smart enough to "get it" like me?

11. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Some parts of the Silmarillion would lose out if you put it all as a documentary though. The tale of Beren and Luthien would be awesome as a movie in its own right, for example.

12. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The tale of Beren and Luthien would be awesome as a movie in its own right, for example.

I agree.

13. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Skip the first two chapters, which are as dry as dust. Jump in at Of the Coming of the Elves & the Captivity of Melkor where the action starts. ;)

Yeah, they should let Ralph Bakshi do it. [face_mischief]

14. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Skip the first two chapters, which are as dry as dust

Immortal beings singing the world into existence is dry? The first two chapters is a hard read but theyre the most rewarding chapters in the Silmarillion, especially after you finish it.

15. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    Granted they wouldn't change much in the story.

And you all know they'd just have to put some love-making in it.

16. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    When I tried to read The Silmarillion I think they were the only two chapters I read. Very nice imagery.

Someone was asking what everyone's favourite books were, I liked The Fellowship Of The Ring for several reasons:

1)Hobbits. They have such an idyllic life and it's beautiful the way they're described.
    2)The Council Of Elrond. One of my favourite bits of the movie, one of my favourite bits of the book.
    3)It was the one book out of the trilogy that I read quickest (2 and a half weeks) and before that when I tried to read the book there were just some great things that stayed with me, like the Black Riders.
    4)There's just a lovely feel to the book.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    As do I

18. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I think I heard that they were in talks about doing it. The idea of a Beren and Luthien movie does ring a bell.

But it seems unlikely as surely it would be difficult to market to people who aren't familier with the story or with The Silmarillion.

19. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    It'll be the same as trying to market the Lord of the Rings up first, except they'll have some ground work laid for them - hopefully by having done the Hobbit first.

What they'll do is show pictures of Arwen, Elrond and Aragorn with a voice over saying "Where do these guys come from..." "DORIATH!" with a picture of Beren and Luthien.

Movie makes millions.

20. KILIK

KILIK Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Thank you for all the advice everyone.:)

I must say i'm enjoying reading The Hobbit.

This might come off a stupid question, but even in the special editions of the movies are there things still really missing?

My friend that got inot LOTR really got into it, told that and yeah I don't think he is lieing.

But for real was there still things left out?

21. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, especially at the start and the end.

Most of the stuff from Gandalf's 'is it secret, is it safe?' return to when the Hobbits arrive at Bree is cut.

Scouring of the Shire is also cut at the end.

Some things were cut from the theatrical release but are in the special editions (such as Gandalf and Saruman's conversation after the breaking of Isengard)

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would kill to see the Silmarillion put to film. Especially if I was the one putting it there. I mean, it would only be what, 20 movies?:p

23. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    20 Movies...

Take that, Bond Franchise.

24. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    And then if you get the Unfinished Tales and all the other books that have been edited into complete works then we have a film franchise that'll probably span several more decades than the Bond films.

25. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    Yep, and all of them by Jackson! [face_dancing] ...[face_plain]