The land of the free, and the home of the CHIEFS!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by solojones, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I'm probably the only Chiefs fan on here... but yeah, I'm a big one, so I couldn't pass up a thread. My family's had season tickets on the lower level since I was about 5 :) Going to Arrowhead every other Sunday afternoon is quite simply amazing.

So, yeah... anyone else a Chiefs fan, by some miracle? :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  2. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I'm a fan of the classiness of the organization, a great amount of players past and present, and I loved Dick Vermeil as your head coach. So, while they aren't my team, I usually cheer for them.

Plus, they used to be the Dallas Texans, before they moved to Kansas City. :)
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    you realize LJ is a part of that organization right? :p
  4. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Meh. Polamalu needs to get a haircut, or a doo-rag, just like the rest of the players in the NFL.
  5. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    trust me, the Polamalu incident isn't what makes LJ a bad guy. :p
  6. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    LJ has had some sketchy incidents, but not in a while and nothing cut and dried. I think the management has probably made it mighty clear to him and any other player on the team that off the field attitudes are important.

But I mean, the classy players far outweigh the sketchy on our team. Dick Vermeil was big on that. How do you think we wound up with Trent Green and Damon Huard, two of the genuinely nicest guys in the league, as our QBs?

-sj loves kevin spacey
  7. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    no team can ever be 100% class act and high character. my favorite team ever, the 1996 asu sun devils, had a team loaded with character guys (the most distinguished being pat tillman). the arizona republic did an article a couple months ago that showed how much good work the team members did after they graduated and went into the community.

however, one player was just recently convicted of rape and sentenced to life in prison.

so, no team's perfect.
  8. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Of course not. They can only do their best to hire character guys, enforce sportsmanship on the field, and strongly discourage bad conduct off the field.

And I really don't think LJ is really amongst the true dirtbags of the NFL. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to reports and rumours, but I have only heard the few scant reports about him. I'm not saying he's a great guy, but he's at least a good sport on the field, and he's really matured a lot in the last year. I think he may have calmed down off the field, too. But it's not like he was ever a TO or something.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  9. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    At least he hasn't gotten in trouble, multiple times, for spitting in a woman's face. Pac-Man Jones, anyone?
  10. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    hey, for all you know that woman deserved. How do you know she didn't go too far, like refuse to cook him something or refuse to open her legs?!
  11. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    When you put it that way, I see your point.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  12. darthdrago Force Ghost

star 4
    *sigh*

SJ, I've read a lot of your posts and thought you to be a very smart, fascinating young woman.

But now we must be enemies.

Signed,

Diehard Raider Fan
    (yes, I know they suck this year, but that doesn't change anything)
  13. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Ehg. I'm sorry. Are you from Oakland? That would make you doubly unfortunate :p

Ok, so the game tomorrow... huge. I just can't imagine a better setup for a game. Lamar Hunt's been trying to get a Thanksgiving game in KC since the leagues merged. Before that, 37 years ago, the Chiefs and Broncos had a game at Arrowhead on Thanksgiving. Hunt's even trying to lobby to make the KC night game an annual thing. To make it part of the KC Thanksgiving tradition, along with the Plaza lighting ceremony. That would be great :)

So generally, it's big.

But this is even bigger, given the circumstances for both teams. The Broncos just came off a big loss at home to division rivals San Diego. QB Jake Plummer is having a meltdown, and could play well to keep his job or continue his poor play to lose it. The Chiefs just came off a big win at hom to division rivals Oakland. QB Trent Green just came back from his terrible concussion in week 1, and played well last week but we'll look for less conservative play-calling now that he is back in it.

Both teams are playoff contenders, and need to play well the rest of the season to stay that way.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  14. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    This happened to be shown live on Fox Sports here for some reason. The Chiefs won, looked very happy about it. Apparently the Broncos QB has failed them for the last time [face_skull]

Still, quite entertaining the bits that I saw of it. Well done to the Chiefs [face_peace]
  15. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Weird that it was shown there, but cool. Yeah the Chiefs finally had their team back for the first time since game 1. We've had so many injuries, nearly all to pro-bowlers. It's amazing that we remained in the game enough to be ready for a playoff run now.

A couple guys were playing hurt (namely Gonzales). But with 10 days until the next game, hopefully we'll be in top shape for once when we face Cleveland. It will help Green out a lot to be able to pass to Gonzales. They are a killer team.

Green had an ok night, some underthrown passes which, upon viewing of the game when I got home, didn't look at entirely his fault as they had before. Especially the interception, which I had thought was just a bad pass, but when I looked at the tape it turns out the defender just undercut the route really well. There was a better throw in the seam, but yeah. Basically, Trent was still a bit rusty, but this is still his first week back. Playing 2 games in 5 days against your biggest rivals is a tough week back. But he's consistently gotten it done when we needed him to. I think with a bit of rest, he should be back in the swing of things. It's so, so good to see him play again.

Oh and I have to tell you something... Arrowhead was loud. We had 80,600+ people, second largest in team history. And I don't know if I've ever heard it that loud before. It was deafening. And it was pretty much the whole game. If you saw the broadcast, you got an idea of it. You literally couldn't hear anything. My ears felt like they were going to rupture. But in a good way :)

We have some hard games left (Jacksonville, Cleveland, San Diego... because it would be too easy to give us a normal schedule :p). But I think if our team can stay healthy for once and keep their heads in the game, we could be in the playoffs. Something I never, ever would have thought possible if you'd told me while Green was unconscious for so long back in September that he'd be out for 10 weeks and a bunch of other starters would, too. I'm proud of my boys for digging deep and being a team.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Talk about déja vu.

The offense has a spectacular, pass-heavy day with solid running as well. The defense can't make any one of a number of key stops that would put it away, and we lose [face_plain]

I just... no words.

My only consolation is that I've been apprehensive about this game all week. It seems we so often have to play bad teams when they've been so beaten up lately they're really pissed and ready to take it out on someone at home (Pittsburg anyone?). Seriously, why is it that Denver gets to play these teams when they're just playing their regular poor selves?!

But really I was worried about the D, and I see I was right. This is ridiculous. By the time we draft or trade for some other people, Green is going to be retired and so is the O-line, and it'll be all for naught.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    if the cardinals had the chiefs' offensive line, they'd probably average 35 points a game, what with boldin, fitzgerald and james.

of course, as has been amply shown, you need defense too.
  18. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah. And it's just really frustating that our defense who has improved to 12th in the league this year decided to show up like the 30th defense in the league again on a day when we really needed to win and our offense was awesome [face_plain]

I'll tell you one thing- those people who thought we should keep Damon Huard over Trent Green are swallowing their words right now.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  19. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    From what I'm hearing, Lamar Hunt is really in trouble, health-wise. I knew he'd been sick with cancer for a good long while, but it sounds as though things are taking a turn for the worse.

Prayers out to his family.

Here's a link to TSN:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=158314
  20. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Congrats Rachel, the 49ers just bought the Chiefs a one way ticket to the playoffs! :D =D=
  21. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Master

star 3
    Man, I am so happy Chiefs are in. This was a good football day, Eagles and Lions both won and Chiefs got in, if only Miami won. Anyway, Chiefs will be playing the Colts. With the colts bad run defense, LJ shold have no problem getting 100+ yards. Indi also has a history of losing early in the playoffs.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    i heard the score on the radio tonight, and rachel was the first person i thought of (naturally).

congrats! :)
  23. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    :D :D :D :D

Oh my gosh. This day has been insane. I went to the game completely sure we weren't getting in. I just wanted to have a good game, to end the season well. Afterall, 4 things had to happen for us to win. Including us winning and 3 other teams losing at home. We finally got to kneeing it out at the end, and it was awesome that we won.

1/4. Ok, good to have.

The box behind our seats had a TV with the Pittsburgh game on. We'd been following it all game. Just as we were kneeing it out, Pittsburgh was scoring the winning TD. So in our corner we're all screaming "GO, GO, GO --- YEEEES!!!" The sections around us were confused, but then the jumbotron put it on so everyone in the stadium was cheering.

2/4. Exciting. But still...

By the time I got back to my car, the Pats had won.

3/4. Oh man, we could... but it would mean Denver losing at home. To the Niners. Yeah, right.

We went out for our victory steaks and watched the Denver game there until the 3rd quarter. When we left, Denver was winning. Drove to my grandparent's house to see them a bit, and ended up staying to watch the rest of the game. Couldn't believe the Niners were up in the 4th... could believe them blowing it and it getting tied. And lucky Denver winning the toss. But why did that OT have to go back and forth so much?! When it finally did get to the fieldgoal to win, oh man... aaaaand...

4/4

We all exploded. I couldn't believe it. We're in. Denver's out.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

-sj loves kevin spacey
  24. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I'm so thrilled to see the Chiefs in the playoffs. Mostly because it came at the expense of the Bengals and Broncos.

And could they have gotten a better draw in the wild card round? Larry Johnson against the Colts?
  25. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, it's actually not impossible for us to win. Not very likely, but still not impossible. I think it'll come down to if LJ pounds their crappy run defence more than Harrison pounds our mediocre secondary. The last two times we've been to the playoffs, Indy has eliminated us. This might make some extra motivation for the Chiefs, because they're due and Indy is overrated.

But oh yeah, I'm stoked about it coming at the expense of the hugely overrated and ever-hated Broncos, and the scummy-as-hell Bengals :D

Everyone in KC is completely delirious.

-sj loves kevin spacey
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.