main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Lando Calrissian Adventures," by L. Neil Smith [Del Rey, 1983]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"The Lando Calrissian Adventures," by L. Neil Smith [Del Rey, 1983]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

27.8%
  2. 9

19.4%
  3. 8

13.9%
  4. 7

13.9%
  5. 6 (Average)

8.3%
  6. 5 (Average)

5.6%
  7. 4

2.8%
  8. 3

2.8%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/tlca_lcatmos.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "Gambler, rogue, and con-artiste, Lando Calrissian was more comfortable at the dealer's end of a fast shuffle than at the rear end of a blaster. So he always had his sensors scanning for the chance to pick up easy credits - and when he heard that the planets of the Rafa System were practically buried in ancient alien treasure, he hopped aboard the Millennium Falcon, never stopping to think that someone might be conning the con man..."

Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/tlca_lcatfoo.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "The Oseon was a solar system of luxury hotels catering to the underemployed filthy rich - every gambler's dream come true. And so it was for Lando Calrissian and his robot companion until Lando broke the gambler's cardinal rule: never beat a cop at highstakes games of chance..."

Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of Thonboka
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/tlca_lcatsot.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "For a year Lando Calrissian and Vuffi Raa, his five-armed robot astrogator, had roamed space in the Millennium Falcon on the lookout for opportunities to turn an easy - but not too dishonest - credit. But then Lando had gone out on a limb to help a race of persecuted aliens, and now he and Vuffi were up against several sets of their own enemies - including the evil Rokur Gepta, the Sorcerer of Tund!"

3. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, I enjoyed 'em! :D

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I only recently caught up with these. I had been looking for awhile but all the entries I found online were 'limited availability' or out of print. I finally found an edition with all 3 novels at Forbidden Planet in London. I thought it worth the search. I liked Lando's relationship with Vuffi Raa.
    I think after reading them my esteem for Lando as a character has gone up a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as a main character.

5. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i have never read even seen thiese books although i have heard of them. i would like to read it, so if anyone knows of an internet site that people could get a copy it would be really apriciated.

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    You can get most of them in a single volumn now.

BTW, I liked them. Best use of Lando in a book/series. Even better than in BFC.

7. Delpo

Delpo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 12, 2002
    I remember these books as just average... in comparison to the Han Solo Adventures, and even to Splinter of the Mind's Eye, they seemed a bit week, even silly, at the time.

Or perhaps my slight disappointment is due to the difficulty of the search. I got them from the United States around 1988-90, by searching and searching on-paper catalogues, they took a long time to find, a long time to get by post to Spain... and after a long wait, they were not really good.

In 2003, when the EU comprises more than 100 books, there are many which are far worse. In comparison, these Lando Adventures seem better now.

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I've only read "The Mindharp of Sharu"...

Found it for 50 cents in a used bookstore about 15 years ago..

I remember it being rather odd...Entertaining, but odd...

The strangest bit being when his five-armed droid gets shrunk down to the size of an ant...

9. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    I thought these books were great. I gave it a 9. I thought it's lightheartedness was a welcome relief from most other EU, which is more serious. Not to say those books are bad, I just think some variety is good.

10. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Lando didn't really do it for me in this trilogy. The stories felt like they didn't take place in the Star Wars Universe. I did enjoy Vuffi Raa and thought that his past was interesting.

11. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002

I re-read them a few months back, and understood them better than when they first came out.

12. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    THE MINDHARP OF SHARU
    This book is poor. There are no single memorable action scenes, it is boring in places and very confusing.

THE FLAMEWIND OF OSEON
    What happenned, L. Neil Smith? Was it someone else writing Mindharp, because, beleive me, this book is absolutley brilliant. Although it starts slow, the passage through the Flamewind is exciting, and the drug bust at the end kept me right on the edge of my seat. It was good to learn some more about Vuffi Raa, as well.

THE STARCAVE OF THONBOKA
    Best. Book. Ever. Well, maybe not, but this novel is probably the best one in the series. The action is fast paced, the story is easy to follow, and we have the mother of all showdowns at the end.

Awful first novel, but the final two installments are sterling.

13. Dyesce

Dyesce Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    I really liked them. Had quite a hard time to think of them StarWars. They are so fantasy, but by now that's what i relate to Lando.
    I really liked his quirks. I like the way they gave him depth with his affection for cigars, his vigilance about his looks, his need for luxury and comfort (like hanging in almost zero-g for relaxation).

Vuffi Raa was best. I like droids best in SW anyway. I liked his curiosity. And the way Lando and he treated each other. :D

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It was okay, but some elements of the trilogy were just too silly for my taste.

15. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    These books were great fun. I give it an 8.
    Bib's right, there were some rather silly concepts in the book, but still, very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.