main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA The LANing Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    OK everybody, I finally got a response from GamesDen and they want to know numbers of people so that they can offer us a deal, and possibly a regular spot/membership. Is anyone seriously interested in doing this, so I can actually give the guy a response?

For those of you who, for some reason, didn't read the "Should we have a LAN party?" thread, here are the stats etc of GamesDen.

GamesDen have two sections, the Dungeon (which has their computers) and the LANDen (which is a BYO spot)

The 16 computers in the 'Dungeon' are:
    Celeron 667mhz, Soltek Mainboard
    128 Mb pc133 Mhz Ram, 10/100 NIC
    64 MB Geforce Ultra Video, MS Kboard & Scrollmouse
    30Gb Hard Drives, MS Sidewinder Gamepad
    17 inch Monitors, Windows 98se
    *Note: Dungeon machines are on a permanent fibre optic internet link

Some of the games installed on these machines are:
    Jedi Knight 2, Counter Strike, Codename:Eagle, Day of Defeat 2.0, Quake 3: Arena, Starcraft: Brood Wars, Soldier of Fortune: Platinum Edition, Serious Sam, Deathmatch Classic, Team Fortress Classic, BZ Flag, Codename: Eagle 2, Codename:Eagle, DeltaForce2, DeltaForce2 (Demo), DeltaForce3 (Demo), Descent 3, Drakan, Half-Life, HL:Counter-Strike, HL:Day Of Defeat, HL:Firearms, HL:eek:pposing Forces, HL:TFC, HL:Vampire Slayer, Kingpin, Q3A:pro Mode, Q3A:Rocket Arena, Quake 2, Quake 3: Arena, Quake 3: CTF, Quake 3: RA 1.5, Quakeworld, Red Faction Demo, SiN, SoF: CTF, SoF: DM, SoF: DM 2, Tribes, Tribes 2, Turok2, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 3, Unreal Tourney 2, UT: Demo, UT:Mod2, UT:Tactical Ops, plus you can request that games can be installed...

In the LANDen (BYO spot) there is room for 50 computers... The network specs are:
    The LANden consists of 5 tables each holding 10 players, powerboards and Cat 5 Network cables are ready-installed with 3 x 10/100 Kingmax & 1 x Acer Network switches providing High speed LAN and Internet Access, there are 8 Dedicated servers in the Server area, and a PA system for announcements and background music.

Please post your interest in here, plus when you would like to see this happen (weekend/holidays).

Please try and keep this thread to LAN only!!!

EDIT: See my post on the second page for my explanation of the change of title...

2. Dingbat

Dingbat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2001
    I'll definately be up for it if I'll be here (I'm going to the US at the end of this month).

If you get enough people it could be cool to have some tournaments or something with some prizes. Maybe use some of the left over Quiz Night prizes, or just have everyone put in a dollar and the winner takes all.

3. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I already said in the other thread that if we get enough people, there will be prizes and possibly free pizza... :D

For people wanting to know a price before they commit to this, I can't give you a price. GamesDen want to know how many people will be coming, so that they can offer me a deal... So unless more people start showing some form of interest in this, it won't be going ahead... So please, if you are interested, let me know. And don't forget to say when you'd like to see it happen (holidays [school holidays start 5th of July] or weekends)...

4. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    LAN LAN LAN FUN FUN FUN LEACH LEACH LEA... I mean no, no I dont do that, heh :)

Seriously thou, count me in that. I would have to know the price still however, if its more than $30 - $35 I would like to know what you get (ie really free pizza this time, I remember last time ;) ). My time's are same as in the other thread. May beable to get a saturday night off with enough warning however.

5. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Price check on GamesDen.

Otherwise, I'm in. Night session might be a problem for me, so anything during the hols all day would be good.

6. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Ok, to give you an idea of the prices we might be looking at (again, this all depends on how many people are coming)... POGS paid $25 for rental computers, and $20 for the BYO spots. That was supposed to include free pizza, but they didn't get the turnout they expected so they pulled out. That will not be happening with us. I won't make promises until we get more people interested (should we invite other SciFi clubs and compete?) but I can tell you that, once I talk to LD, there is a big chance of prizes (leftovers from the Quiz Night) being given to people.

I think that this happening during the holidays would be better. If we do decide to compete against other clubs it will give us a chance to do some form of advertising (if anyone knows of any good deals for printing stuff, I know the club would be greatly appreciative)... So yeah...

7. DavidTBrookes

DavidTBrookes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
  8. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Sounds good.

9. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    <- Im in...

10. Dingbat

Dingbat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2001
    If its before June 27th then I'm down for it. If its not well, I won't be here so that makes it kind of hard for me to go ;)

11. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    A comp aganist other sci-fi clubs or even clubs in general sounds like fun also.

12. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002

Im in for the LAN night and I might be able to bring some other guys along too.

JS

13. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002

I ask though, can we get definate dates and time and everyone decide on please ?

JS

14. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Currently it's all in the "it might happen" stage. I haven't recieved enough interest from people in here to warrant approaching other clubs about their interest in this event. The only dates I can offer you are "sometime during the school holidays". That's between the 6th of July and 21st of July. GamesDen are willing to offer us a fixed price for our club so that we can use their facilities on a regular basis. Again, this rate works on a numbers basis. The more people we get, the less it will cost each person. So please, ask your friends, and express your interest and how many people you could bring (including yourself).

15. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    How many people in here do we need? Do you know?

And I got plenty of mates who would come along, after all I'm movin in with two of them. :D

16. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Well we have 66 spots to fill. I thought it would be good if we had a majority of people being Outer Rim members/friends, before we offered the rest of the places to other members.

We don't have to fill all 66 spots, but if we do, it works out to be cheaper for us. So far (this is just glancing at the list) we have 7 people who have expressed their interest (including myself and Soup). I'd like to see at least 20 filled before we offer it to other people.

17. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Ok we have a bit to fill then, heh.

18. Shaven_Wookie69

Shaven_Wookie69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2001
    I'll put my fuzzy hand up (just up that is)

19. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    The people who have said they are in, are you planning on bringing friends? I want numbers, including yourselves (eg. "Me + 5", or "6, including me"). Also, will you be wanting BYO or using the computers that are there?

20. Auscon

Auscon Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    who's invited?

21. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Whoever wants to come. :D Anyone is welcome, and the more people the merrier.

22. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I might be able to get 1 or 2 others to come with me, although it depends since they go to another games place most of the time (Centerpoint near Garden City, which is also a great LAN centre). I'll see what I can do.

For me, I'll be using the computers there. My one is just too slow to keep up with such games.

23. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I'd be bringin my own pc... As for anyone else.. not sure, Im askin about.. got a few interested ppl, but no certainties...

24. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Ill be bringin my toaster ;) and my oven ;)

I'll ask my mates before I put them on the list however, BRB

25. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.