CT The Lapti Nek Controversey

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SlashMan, Jun 11, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Little Mike Jedi Knight

The original band in Jabba's palace looked and sounded dumb, but they were easy to forget and ignore. The new version was just the old one done louder and more annoying, with more members who looked like relatives of the crew getting a chance to be in the movie.

The music was terrible, too. The 1983 music sounded like bad 1980s pop in the background, but Jedi Rocks was like something a little kid came up with on a dodgy app using about three different songs.
  2. kubricklynch Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    The added shots of the Weequay(i think) drummers seem really awkward to me. And I hate how they do super close ups on the singers.
    Sarge likes this.
  3. Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Actually the original music better suits the atmosphere, is far more low-key tone and less in-the-face that poor "Jedi Rock". A better song to me as well.

It is also the one we were used to hearing before the SE, therefore completely belonging to the scene as well as the rest of it.

Indeed Lucas couldn't help to tinker with his movies and change them as the new CGI technology was becoming available....Allowing him to test it for the PT to come on the more.

Definitely the biggest "crap" of all SE's change.

A big relief there will be no more changes...Hope so.
    Last edited by Ord-Mantell70, Jul 15, 2013
    Mr. K likes this.
  4. Giovs Jedi Master

star 2
    I think I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Jedi Rocks.
    And that's coming from someone who grew up watching the unaltered edition (or rather, the original versions) of the movies.
    Last edited by Giovs, Jul 15, 2013
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    Oh, so YOU'RE the one. ;)
    Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  6. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    The OS says that Lapti Nek is "dated"? Then what's not the awful Jedi Rocks with the very dated CG? Heck, all SE CG would've needed a make-over before they released the movies on Blu-Ray.
  7. Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Interesting to hear that people growing up with the original version fully accepted "Jedi Rock" and enjoyed.

I wish I could "WISH AWAY" my O-OT bias ans memories as easily as some can. :cool:
  8. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I wish I could wish away Jedi Sucks...I mean Rocks.
    Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  9. Giovs Jedi Master

star 2
    I never said I've wished away my memories or anything, and I didn't. I just said I enjoyed it.
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.
    Giovs likes this.
  11. Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Was just trying to make some humor with WISH AWAY (notorious AOTC's line)...Guess I miss the point.

I fully understood you simply enjoyed it as well. :)
    Giovs likes this.
  12. Joe Force Ghost

star 6
    Having grown up with 'Jedi Rocks' (and having never actually heard Lapti Nek until this thread), I can honestly say I like 'Jedi Rocks'. It sounds otherworldly, and it really helps frame the palace for me. Judging by the lyrics on page 1 of Lapti Nek, the song does sound painfully dated and it's good that they cut it (judging purely by the 'Work it Out' lyrics).
    Thoix Heoro likes this.
  13. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    This is obviously a matter of personal preference, and/or whether or not you grew up watching the '83 version of ROTJ with the original Sy Snootles band, etc. Since I grew up with the originals, I don't mind the puppet work in Lapti Nek (or in any of the other OOT films, for that matter). This is just me, but I don't find the lyrics dated, mainly because they're alien & non-understandable. It wasn't until the Internet that I was made aware these alien lyrics were based on?! lyrics that were originally writeen in English.

As has been said, the CGI is so glaringly bad/obvious in Jedi Rocks. Heck, even if you prefer the song to Lapti Nek, you have to admit it looks awful. It looks even worse on the Blu-ray since the picture is so crystal-clear, making it look even more artificial. I know many will disagree with me on this, but IMHO this is the worst change of all the changes in the '97 SE/2004 DVD/2011 Blu-ray releases (closely followed by the young Anakin ghost in 2004 DVD). Heck, at least they improved the "Greedo s. first" scene for the 2011 Blu-ray....

Re: Lapti Nek, because of this thread, I've actually gone back and re-listened to the Meco version of the song, but not the original original. And, this Meco version has now become my favorite version of the song ;) (I've got the 2006 DVD's with the half-a$$ed version of ROTJ on there, but the picture quality is so bad & it's non-anamorphic, that I can't stand to watch it). In any case, I think it's unfortunate that, because of these SE & subsequent changes & because there is no good version available of the original '83 ROTJ for viewing, the original Lapti Nek song is fading into obscurity. Most kids these days, even if they are SW fans, have probably never heard of the song...
    Last edited by Blur, Jul 17, 2013
  14. FRAGWAGON Force Ghost

star 4
    I would love Jedi Rocks if it had that fat synth bass and was more of a keyboard jam. I like any song sung in the language of a slug mafia.

And I will say I love the new CG Snootles. Weequay drummers....I wouldn't have put them in there but I'm happy to say my childhood nostalgia remains intact.
  15. Sarge Chosen One

star 4
    I like all versions of Sy Snootles better after seeing her episode of TCW. The big "Anything Goes" musical number had me in stitches.
  16. Giovs Jedi Master

star 2
    Her voice in TCW is way different from her voice both in Lapti Nek and Jedi Rocks.
  17. FRAGWAGON Force Ghost

star 4
    Which episode is that anyway? I think I missed it.
  18. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    Trust me, you didn't... The Da Hutt Moda dance sequence appeared in the ninth episode of the third season, "Hunt for Ziro".
  19. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9

That's because ROTJ had such significant changes that it required new music, to fill the screen time. ANH and TESB just extended, or reused existing cues to fill the void.
    Andy Wylde likes this.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face