main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Crusade is the best Raiders Film

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by StarDude, Oct 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    :) Anybody agree? It was also one of the first movies I saw in theaters, though I barely remember it (I was 3). Raiders of the Lost Ark is very good too. Here are some reasons I like Last Crusade the best:

1. Nostalgia. I'll be honest. I bet that if I had been born early enough to have experienced Raiders in theaters, it would be my favorite. I just remember certain things that have to do with LC like reading the novelisation and the Young Indy books. The LC soundtrack was probably the first ochestrated soundtrack I listened to.

2. Indy got less shallow. If you watch the film, you'll see that this is really the first Indy film where we got to know just who he was. For instance we learned his real name, how he got many of the elements of Indy, and even how he developed his persona. We also get character development. Notice how at the end of the film Henry Jones Sr. says "Indiana...". It's also the first time Indy let the treasure go willingly.

3. The soundtrack by John Williams. I honestly think this is one of John Williams' best. The father son theme is nice and warm. The escape from Venice and the music during the motorcycle chase is also extremely great.

4. The ending. Whenever I see this ending it actually makes me not want another Indy movie. I think it could cheapen the ending to LC. What could be better than the heroes riding off into the sunset with the Indy theme playing?

2. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    The Last Crusade is the best Raiders Film Maybe you mean "Indy Film" instead? :D

I love the ending because, quite simply, it's beautiful. Riding off into that red, red sunset, with the Grail theme playing.

And of course, the knowledge that there's someone in this world who can one-up Indy--his own dad.

"Well, I'm as human as the next man!"
    "Dad, I was the next man!" [face_laugh]

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I also love Crusade. Although Raiders is my favorite film, Crusade ranks a close second. The interaction between father and son is great. This is also the most humorous one of the trilogy, which is a good thing after the very dark mood in Doom.

And I agree about the ending. It is the perfect way to end the series. Eventhough I like the ending, I still would like to see another Indy movie regardless.

4. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I love the ending because, quite simply, it's beautiful. Riding off into that red, red sunset, with the Grail theme playing.

Very peaceful. Everytime I see it, I wish I was there. That's one of my goals in life. To ride horseback into the sunset.

5. DARTHVAL

DARTHVAL Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I think it is the best in my opinion. The way spielberg shows indy as a kid and to have indy's father in the film was an excellent idea.

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    There are a lot of nice things in it, but I wouldn't call it the best. Steve came up with it being concentrated on the father-son relationship and George came up with starting it off with Indy as a kid which were the best parts. The previous movies had way better action set-pieces, although the tank chase was pretty cool. Last Crusade does have a great ending with Indy, his father, Marcus and Sallah riding off into the sunset.

7. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    It is a lot better than Temple of Doom, which is more of a horror film, than a pure Indy film.

Everyone, including the vilians, have terrific moments. The music score and effects are also excellent.

I still think Raiders is the best but, Last Crusade is a great movie.

8. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I don't know what defines a pure Indy film. Temple of Doom is my favorite because it's the first Indy movie I ever saw and it has the happiest ending. The horror element I thought was necessary to show how evil the thugees were. With Nazis, you know automatically are evil without having to see them gas people or put them into ovens.

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I like all the films (and between them in the order of release). Most of my minor complaints are actually against Last Crusade, particularly the use of a ficticious country where the Grail is, as opposed to Egypt and India in the first 2. They could have placed the Crescent Valley, even if that is ficticious, in a real country. That and the 2 major gaffes when Indy gets stuck and unstuck on the side cannon of the tank. Still it was probably among the best 5 films of that year.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I agree, Crusade is the best Indy film.

11. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I like the Last Crusade but my favorite Indy flim is Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.