DFW, TX The Last Hope

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Old-Jedi, Apr 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I thought I would move the discussion to it's own thread.

Here is the info:

The Last Hope
    Texas Filmmakers Showcase
    Wednesday, May 2 9:15pm
    In this unbelivable account of the countdown to the most hyped movie in history, Star Wars: Episode I, you?ll meet some of the strangest characters this side of Jabba-the-Hutt?s palace and get an up-close glimpse of the trials facing a makeshift community of enthusiasts camped out in front of Mann?s Chinese Theatre in the spring of 1999 during their six-week vigil to be the first to see Star Wars: Episode I. 92 minutes. World Premiere. In attendance: directors Christopher Hrasky and Kurt Volk, and fan Larry Lawrence.

As for Rob's suggestion of a group dinner, I'm all for it since it's a later screening. There is a Golden Coral, El Fenix, and a Dickies BBQ in close proximity (or there used to be :) ...can someone say foodfight?

Speak up folks what would you all like to do?
  2. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    i plan on catching the 7;00p show of "nobody's baby" with gary oldman there to discuss.

then gonna hit the "last hope" show at 9;15p

...........................stone
  3. DarthCynthia Jedi Master

star 2
    I really wish Chris and I could go, but he's not liking the time on that :( If we did go, we'd eat something before we left home.. but I'm thinking this might be one of those "we'll decide last minute" :( I wish it were earlier.. <sniff>...

Perhaps another time (if we don't make it, that is :( Bummer...)

For those of us that might not be able to make it.. let us know how it goes!
  4. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Master

star 4
    Mmmmmmm, Barbeque.... *Homer drool*

ANyway, I should be good to go for a showning and dinner. Keep us posted.
  5. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Knight

star 2
    Once again, I am in as well. I'm good for either BBQ or Golden Corral.

Buffet... good.
  6. THX_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Count me in for BBQ also. :cool:

"I'm ready for anything."
  7. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well folks, there may be a snag in the works....

I picked a copy of The Observer yesterday, and here is what it said about the movie....

Christopher Harasky and Kurt Volk hate "Star Wars" fans. Hate, hate, <I>hate</I> them. Sure, "The Last Hope" is about the people who waited in line for six weeks outside of Mann's Chinese Theater; in anticipation of the release of "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace," but it is <B>NOT</B> a celebration of these fans, or even the film. Even the most ardent "Star Wars" supporter would start to question the logic of it all after watching "The Last Hope," which, with it's constant surveillance and, uh, interesting cast, comes off as <I>The Real World</I> for the B&D set. It's combative at times (Harasky and Volk provoke as much as they observe) and uncomfortable at others; nothing makes a fan feel like a bigger dork than watching another fan explain why these movies are such a big deal. They talk of deeper meanings and higher truths, like college freshmen wading through a comparative religion course. Much of the time though, "The Last Hope" isn't even about "Star Wars". More than anything else, it's a portrait of the ridiculous extremes of fan behavior with "Star Wars" as a frame. You get the point about ten seconds in, repeated often, until the big finish when they say, no, they wouldn't wait in line six weeks to go to church, but they absolutely, without question, for "Star Wars". "You've made a movie bigger than God," he shouts, stomping away. "You are going to burn in Hell." He probably has a point.

So here is what I proprose: I personally am still going to attend this "event," but I feel that us making our presence as a group known may work against us, so I think that we should keep the nature of our attendance on the down-low, as not to create any form of a confrontation. If anyone disagrees, feel free to make your opinion known, but as this has come to light, I am very leery as to reinforcing the point that The Observer says this film is trying to make. Wear your "Star Wars" T-**** at your own risk. You have been warned.
  8. Genetic_Misfire Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Rob, I disagree (*shock* *gasp*). Screw those people. I'm proud to be a pathetic geek and I'll argue that with any pathetic film crew. Yeah, it's silly to wait in line for weeks on end BUT I made many great friends while waiting that I still talk to on a daily basis. So f'ing what if they don't understand why people would do that. I personally don't understand why people go to church. Trust me, the average god-toady spends more time in church than I EVER will waiting in line for ANY movie. I say we all go up there with Star Wars shirts on and toy lightsabers in hand. F*** 'em.

James
  9. DarthCynthia Jedi Master

star 2
    Thanks for posting that, Bamm. I definitely won't be going now - hubby would've had to endure a late night mid-week and he wasn't looking forward to that anyway, poor thing.

Y'know what amuses me about those that slam on SW or ST fans tho'.. they call us geeks without lives etc.. LOL.. but you could almost always point out something silly that "normal" people do. We all have something about us that someone else doesn't like :) Go figure.. humans are funny that way LMAO. People are so silly.. I don't care what they say they like or don't like.. or how "normal" they claim to be :D Not everyone likes movies, or golf or the nightclub scene etc.. one group always seems to have to point at the other and go "oh my.. aren't they crazy"... too funny :) But then.. life would be boring if we all got along and did the same thing. Someone should do a movie making fun of people that think they're normal LMAO ;)

Anyway.. whoever does go.. have a great time. :)

MTFBWY all ;)
    [face_laugh]
  10. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    BAMM: that's pretty much along the lines of what I expected from the film. it was the same with the movie "trekkies" why should they look at SW fans any differently. dispite the fact that they do tend to ridicule the more extreme trek fans, it's still a good film. and as a lifelong trek fan, i was not offended.

buncha trek phreaks anyways. :)

..............................stone

11. DarthCynthia Jedi Master

star 2
    BTW Genetic Misfire...

I LOVE your signature! hahahah :D
  12. THX_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm with James. I say we all arrive in full Jedi outfits with lightsabers held high. That way, the robes will hide our true appearance after we wire the C-4 to their cars. [face_devil] They think we are pathetic geeks? They are the one's who wasted their time making a movie about something they hate. Time to get even. I'm having a bad week and I need someone to take it out on...I'm still going. [face_devil]
  13. Genetic_Misfire Jedi Knight

star 1
    Right on Jeff! You get the C4 and I'll get the Jedi robes. Who's with us!

James
  14. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Master

star 4
    I have no C-4 but I have a couple of lightsbabres!

F-M if they cant take a joke :D
  15. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/archives/starwars1/7.html
  16. THX_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember that strip Stone. :D What is even sadder is that I clipped all those Foxtrot Episode 1 strips when they came out. They had several months of them.

This one was my favorite....
    http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/archives/starwars1/9.html

Oh, by the way James. I have some old license plates that used to belong to my ex's car. I'll put them on my van so we can use it as a get-away vehicle. I've also got plenty of duck tape just in case we have to take one of them hostage.
  17. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I find it amusing that most people that criticize Star Wars fans for going overboard are the same people that wait in line for football tickets, go out to the games, paint themselves up, and scream and holler in drunken stupidity all day. And they do it a hell of a lot more often than once every three years.
  18. stone Jedi Knight

star 2
    bumping this thread back to the top, since it's tomorrow...
  19. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Knight

star 2
    Can we get tickets at the theater? I got your e-mail, Stone, but I would rather not go to TicketMaster if I don't have to.
  20. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    Hmmm....you know, since the Jar Jar mask hasn't made any appearances lately, maybe it's time....who knows, maybe someone will try to accost me [face_devil]

I should be there, after class ends at ~7:30.
  21. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Knight

star 2
    Jarvis, your signature is leaving an image in my head that will be there for the rest of the day. Narf.

I will be there around 8. Going to the gym, and will probably pick up food on the way, so I'm out on dinner.

Anybody else? I know that the Old one will be there as well.
  22. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Master

star 4
    I dont know what you mean ;)

I may be able to go. I have to fix my sisters car so she can drive her kids around. After that I should be able to head right down.

Hope to see ya there.
  23. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    IMO, and in lieu of others' reactions, the documentary was fairly well-done, though I agree with the audience member who stated that they should have shown more of the good times in the line (out of 120 hours of footage there must have been *some* good times), as opposed to the Larry bits.

Though Larry did play sort of a "Jar Jar" role in juxtaposition to the abrasive, disaffected mood of the countingdown line, I still like our favorite Gungan (and the actual line members as seen in the film) better....

Almost feel sorry for calling LL such a tool(alliteration, eh? Jar Jar, Larry Laurence....), not realizing he was sitting three seats over from me [face_devil]

Anyone know any details about the Mann's line that were left out of this representation?
  24. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Knight

star 2
    I also agree that the documentary was well done. The directors were very approachable as well, and LL was kind of a tool, but he got to be within arm's reach of Alyssa Milano, so SOMEBODY's on board with him.

If any of y'all get the chance to see this doc, do so. The Observer TOTALLY did these guys wrong.
  25. Old-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I think the fact that they stated the good times occured when everyone just sat around playing games and chatting hit the nail on the head. That was exactly the case for us, although I'm not sure that makes for good cinema ;) What struck a cord with Karin and I was the fact the film makers captured the essance of all the countdown lines. In between the fun sometimes boring days, we had some God-awful fustrating times. I was even more struck with some footage of events, the even we here in lil ol' Dallas got wind of concerning a certain Aussie ;), but to see and hear all that occured in the line was most interesting. The film is a little rough around the edges, and yes the Larry thread was a wee bit much, but it is an excellent effort all and all. The Dallas Observer should be ashamed of themselves for giving folks the impression that this was a hatchet job on fans, I can assure it is not. Directors Christopher Hrasky and Kurt Volk are fans of Star Wars. I'd say this flick was a pleasant short trip down memory lane.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.