main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    From the latest episode of The Star Wars Show.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That episode publicly released some coveted footage for avatars. :p

TCF-1138 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’m dying to see it.

4. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012

If this is real WOW do you know that this will be the first star wars movie released in 4k?I will pass out if this is true 4k plus dolby atmos

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I have a "maximizer" type personality and because of this I'm doomed to have to buy a 4K TV :_|

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, TFA hit Blu Ray on April 5th, but Last Jedi was released 2 days earlier than Force Awakens so any chance we get TLJ in the last week of March?

I'm also hoping for a single edition that's stacked as opposed to the double-dip TFA.

As for the 4K edition, c'mon folks, we all know just have to wait for the 4K megaboxset of Ep I thru IX. Probably Christmas 2020! Yay!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I was only planning on the steelbook, but that digibook is mighty tempting too.

8. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I hope the 3D version comes out at the same time as the 2D versions rather than September like TFA. That wait was agony last time.

The 3D was pretty good in TLJ and TFA 3d is constantly rated in the top 10 3d blu rays.

The rogue one 3d was bitterly disappointing.

Also keep an eye out for a very rare 4k, 3d blu ray and 2d blu ray combo. There have only been a select view of these including war for the planet of the apes. But I was pleased to see Spider man homecoming got this mega combo pack which gives me hope TLJ will too also

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I love the cover art on all of them. Of course, in the UK we quite often get bad cover art. Like for TFA, if they go for the theatrical poster I'll be happy.

And yes, I fully expect a 4K release of all the films sometime within the next two to three years. Whether it will be in the form of a box set or individual releases, I have no idea. I'm ready, anyway. Just patiently waiting for my 4K Blu Ray player to arrive in the post. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Satipo likes this.
  10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

One of the keys to editing is knowing when a scene has to be cut. The movie was already long at 2:30. I understand the "test" scene was cut because Johnson thought it made Luke look more mean than he intended. But I can;t wait to see these!

11. TheFastJedi

TheFastJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2017
    When it comes to the Blu-Ray/DVD, what are people's thoughts on not only getting deleted scenes (which we apparently will), but also being able to watch an extended cut of the film?

I think around the time of release, RJ was asked about this, and he said he believed the version released in theaters was the director's cut, so to speak. That is fine. However, when it comes to the blu-ray release, it seems there is consistent hesitance from Lucasfilm to allow an extended version option.

Consider a version where you could choose which version to watch, the one we saw in the theater, or an extended version where all of the "deleted scenes" that are shown in the bonus material are reinserted into the actual movie. They could even have a menu disclaimer to say the extended version is not the theatrical version and not the true director's vision (and obviously will add length to the movie). Let's be realistic, the only people watching this version of the film would be hardcore fans who have likely seen the film multiple times in the first place. So they know the theatrical version in the first place.

It seems like this would be a good way to keep a movie "fresh" for those who have already seen it. Some people find they don't enjoy watching a movie as much when they know it so well that there aren't any surprises. Yet, if you can add all of the deleted scenes, you start to add a decent amount (20-30 minutes?) of new material, which wouldn't have been seen as often. It seems like this could help keep the viewing experience more fresh for the types who watch these movies at home (which in theory, is a good thing for Disney).

12. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I don't see any point to an extended cut--the scenes were deleted from the film for a reason. It is enough that we get to see the deleted scenes.

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Extended cuts are another thing Lucasfilm could release in 10-20 years. We won't get them now.

14. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Don't hold your breath, as TFA nor Rogue One had a commentary track on initial release.

15. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    And then the 20k in 2030...

16. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    Yeah, I read that it was cut because it made Luke seem like an even bigger jerk. Plus, JJ can now use a 3rd lesson in 9 if he wants with a more supportive Luke (Force Ghost).

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The 4K looks awesome - lucky I now have a 4K TV :D

18. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I would love a 3D bluray edition as TLJ is stunning in 3D. I also believe that Luke's 3rd lesson will take place in Episode IX.

Bowen and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I will not buy any new 4K TV until they return with the 3D option.

It is not my fault that people bought awful 3D TV sets, mine has a great 3D and I cannot conceive watching any new Star Wars movie without 3D. It adds something else, even when the effect is subtle.

Bowen likes this.
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah, I will be getting all of them.

21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha you're like my brother from another mother! I refuse to watch any Disney Star Wars movie in non-3D at home. They look much better in 3D and it's just how I best remember them from seeing them in IMAX 3D so many times. I have a 4K 3D TV, it's the 2016 Sony 75" model, one of the last 3D models actually. That's why I bought a new TV when I did because I figured that was the way things were going. Home 3D is WAAAAY better than theater 3D except for IMAX. I refuse to watch RealD and most moviegoers just don't get that their bad experience with 3D, if they had one, was RealD, which is passive glasses "technology." It's not technology at all haha it's just cheap plastic glasses. Mine are active glasses that cost like $40 per set, they are nice and work great. I own a pretty good collection of maybe 40 movies on Blu-ray 3D.

What I wish we could get one day is glasses free 4K home 3D. I don't get why you EITHER get to choose 4K OR 3D, it makes no sense. In theaters movies are both 3D and 4K, no reason they can't manage that for home too. They're just digital files.

As for 4K of the other Star Wars movies, that's going to be tricky. For TPM they had to do film print outs, so you could easily imagine TPM in 4K because it was shot 35mm with effects finished at 35mm resolution. For AOTC and ROTS, I have no clue what the reference files were like but the movies themselves were shot in 1080p so they can't ever be in 4K unless it's just cheated / cheap upscaling. You could possibly upres the actual effects, spend money re-rendering those effects in 4K, but you still have the issue of the filmed live-action footage only being 1080.

For the OT, well, they also did film printouts to 35mm so I guess there's no reason you couldn't just release them in 4K. It would be a superior process to re-render those effects in higher resolution too, though, if possible. Rogue One and TFA should be the first 4K movies out for Star Wars, besides TLJ.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  22. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    My TFA disc was scratched (and therefore unwatchable) so I shelled out for the 3D box set, and wasn't at all disappointed. I loved The Last Jedi, but I'm not shelling out for anything but a match to my TFA disc set, with lenticular cover, rad interior artwork, and director commentary etc.

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not sure about this. A lot of the CGI on the Blu-ray for TPM looks "soft" to me, like it wasn't even rendered in 1080p. Obviously the stuff shot on film is fine.

24. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well, we have what looks to be an official cover, but no release date. I'm going for the Ultra HD Blu-ray combo pack as a way of future-proofing. I don't have anything 4K yet, but it shouldn't be too long in the future before I get into 4K.

Krueger likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, I thought ahead too. I’ve been buying 4k Blu Rays for about seven months now. I bought a 4K TV a few weeks ago. Now just waiting for the 4K BR player.

Darth Dnej likes this.