main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I guess I am lucky because 3D has no adverse effects for me. I very much prefer 3D for Star Wars, just for those few scenes that use it.

When I watch 2D, even my enjoyment of the movie is worse.

I wonder if many people are being "forced" on the opening weekeds to watch 3D (the better screens are almost all 3D), which they don't like, and this impacts their experience and reviews.

2. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I guess I'm the rare breed that really appreciates 3d for the depth perception,and not the stuff coming at you.I think if 3d is done properly it immerses you into the movie more.

Krueger and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I enjoy both experiences. I prefer the 2D for the intimate settings and discussions.

I prefer the 3D for the space battles and fight sequences and also any moment where the Force is being used to move something or someone.

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    3D is awful. The polarized lenses filter out ambient light in one eye but not the other. I get nauseated pretty much immediately while wearing those stupid glasses.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I am a walking, talking commercial for MoviePass. Literally when I talk to friends about it they say I sound exactly like a commercial.

6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    You guys talk about 2D and 3D, and in Japan, 4DX is what’s in vogue. Its popularity is growing fast and I’ve been seeing more and more movies with marketing geared towards 4DX showings. TLJ is benefiting a lot from this, with a pretty creative promotion.

dragonchic and T-R- like this.
  7. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    Yup, I had terrible nausea and a panic attack during the last 3D film I saw (as first dates go, I can't say it was a massive success...!).

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I can't do 3D. I get a splitting headache from it. But that's OK, I think 3D is more distracting than immersive anyway.

starfish, Artoo-Dion and jaqen like this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    We have 4D in NYC. I haven't checked it out yet though.

10. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    I've done 4D a couple times, it's fun but makes me feel like I'm at a theme park rather than a movie theater lol. I think it's up to the theater to come up with the physical effects though, right? I turned in a little feedback card at mine saying I hated the smell effects...I'm sure it'll be ignored but I had to try. :p

TheFastJedi and La Calavera like this.
  11. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    You should, if not just because it's a different experience and it's always good to experience new things. But personally, I'm not a fan. I'm very traditionalist when it comes to movies. :p

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Depends on where you live.

I live in a major market and it's still playing all day long in most of the major theaters, and many minor ones. It definitely won't be gone next week.

But then some people said it's leaving their areas.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree with Avatar being overrated, but I wouldn't be so sure that A2 will have that huge of a drop (which would still put it at 2B). It would have to drop down over a billion to have the same % drop TLJ had.

Avatar has one thing going for it that SW doesn't, International BO. It has been highly anticipated, and Cameron will most likely use it to push the boundaries of SFX, which added to the appeal of the 1st movie. If he pulls out some more groundbreaking technology, it will perform extremely well. It's a shame SW abandoned pushing the technology envelope.

14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Crazy what summer break will do for the tail end of a movie's run. As of day 38, TLJ is still $32m ahead of The Avengers, but probably has less than $20m left in the tank while The Avengers still had another $51m left in its run.

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Moviegoing is priced cheaply relative to basically all live performances, which has more or less always been its economic niche. It’s cheaper than going to most live sporting events or plays or concerts.

BigAl6ft6 and T-R- like this.
  16. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm the same way. I paid to see TLJ in IMAX opening night, but then used MP for the other six times I saw it.

jaqen likes this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    4 nominations

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I wouldn't exactly say that Avatar as has been highly anticipated. It's more like something that is somewhat out there without people making much fuzz about it, which might have a lot to do with its extremely long production cicle and getting postponed all the time. Its release-date has turned into something more of an running-gag at this point.

One thing that could potentially work against Avatar 2 are exchange rates. Some have recovered lately, but they are still very far away from what they were when Avatar came out. That movie had the perfect storm of huge interest due to the new 3D-technology, the associated extremely expensive tickets (at 80% 3D share, way higher than for any other movie) and some of the most favourable exhange rates ever seen. It seems rather unlikely that this will happen again.

On the plus side, Avatar made 200m in China when that country was still a tiny market. This might suggest a gigantic potential in that particular market. It could be enough to eat up losses elsewhere, even if those should turn out to be huge.

I wouldn't say that Star Wars has abandoned pushing the technology envelope, Rogue One suggests otherwise, but it definately doesn't have the priority like it had under Lucas. Even when TPM lost the Oscar to the more shiny Matrix, it was still Star Wars that drove the actual technology forward, making massive use of CGI possible in the first place. It's pretty much impossible to go back to the time where Star Wars was easily ahead of everything else, there is simply too much talent involved now, compared to the 70s and 80s, where special effects had taken a backseat. But it sure would be nice to see a return to sweeping all the technical categories at the Oscars (not that they are the perfect judgement of what constitutes the best use of technology, but still).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    La Calavera likes this.
  19. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Avatar was a tech demo of 1st-gen 3D. All theaters by then were implementing 3D support, and as soon they got their system installed, they screened Avatar.

The story was pasted on.

Avatar 2 will follow the same line. 2nd-gen glassless 3D, will make all the Billion dollars.

20. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    In France Avatar made 150-200 million $, no one talking about it anymore, it on't do more than 100 million, i see it doing 70-80 million wich is a great result but far away from the first one

21. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    what are the latest box office numbers?

22. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    They key is that people will watch Avatar 2, not because the story, but because... glassless 3D. Theaters will hype this new tech to the max, as it will be seen as a competitive advantage over other theater without the tech. Then we will see a tech rush like the one for 1st-gen 3D, meaning Avatar 2 will have a huge multiplier.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, that implies that the technology will be ready for Avatar 2, and that theaters are interested in taking on the costs necessary to implement it. The former is rather unclear, seeing how Cameron merely stated that they are working on it and that "We’ll get there", without defining when that would happen. The latter might not really be something theaters will care all that much about, seeing how they just introduced new technology and might not be all that interested to make another huge investment soon afterwards.

I don't see how that has anything to do with multipliers anyway. Either the technology is around or it isn't. A movie has way too short a run to have its multiplier by affected technology getting implemented. A movie that introduced that technology might lead to an increase in theaters investing into that technology, but that isn't something that effects the legs of the movie.

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    They did see close to 2.8B in 2009 dollars. I'm pretty sure that they will think that the technology is worth it. I'm sure they'll add a few extra bucks to the ticket price as well.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Avatar has had pretty much no lasting cultural impact, and the 3-D boom it kickstarted has died off a lot.
    I wouldn’t bet against Cameron because he’s not easily written off, but Avatar 2 is starting from scratch again essentially - there aren’t many people who can’t wait to see the next instalment of what happens to their favourite characters

dragonchic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.