main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Cameron knows how to tie things together. He tied Titanic to the rediscovery of the actual ship and to the music of Celine Dion. He created Avatar to take maximum advantage of the 3D tech.

I believe that he will make sure Avatar 2 explores the new glassless 3D to the maximum. And if this forum is a sign, most people hate 3D, and giving them a glassless 3D will be huge.

But the story... well, it just has to be serviceable.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    La Calavera and T-R- like this.
  2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree. The story just has to be serviceable if the tech is groundbreaking. I mean Avatar had Unobtainium in it and nobody cared because the tech was so far ahead of the competition.

Luke02 likes this.
  3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. I can't remember a single meaningful thing from that movie. I couldn't name a single character. All I know is they've got tails that connect to stuff. I think there was a super tree too? And some crazy military people try to kill them or something.

And I saw this movie 5 times in theaters.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    What is the projected final global box office for TLJ. $1.33 billion?

5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I actually know one person whose favorite movie is Avatar.

I also feel like I’m the only one who knows that one person exists.

CEB likes this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I actually know people that really like it and have it listed among their favorite movies because of the underlying theme.

7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    This is a point where I think the ST could improve upon. We should be leading the pack, not just implementing the tech already established.

Cameron is half filmmaker, half engineer. Remember me of how Lucas created THX, ILM and Skywalker Sound.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jame...lasses-free-3d-projectors-for-theaters-2017-6

Cameron has talked about glasses-free theater projection in the past. Last fall, while accepting an honorary membership from the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, Cameron made the following statement:

"I'm going to push. Not only for better tools, workflow, high dynamic range and high frame rates — the things we are working toward. I'm still very bullish on 3D, but we need brighter projection, and ultimately I think it can happen — with no glasses. We'll get there."
    Cameron's production company, Lightstorm Entertainment, recently renewed its 5-year contract with the light projection company Christie Digital Systems, according to The Hollywood reporter. Christie is known for supplying Lightstorm with RGB light projectors, considered to deliver top-of-the-line brightness and image quality, ideal for projecting 3D films.

The renewal of Lightstorm's deal with Christie, as stated by the press release on Christie's website, is contingent upon the two companies sharing their collective 3D knowledge and developing new 3D technology together, one of those new technologies potentially being glasses-free projectors. Christie will also provide Lightstorm with its brand new RGB laser projection series that's currently in the works, speculated to be key in creating this new glasses-free 3D tech. It's unclear yet how exactly this new 3D technology will be made possible.

vong333 and T-R- like this.
  8. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I cared, awful movie!

9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I wouldn't say Its my favorite but I like It a lot and cant wait for the sequel! When It came out my Nephew was a toddler he Is now going to be 10 years old next month, My nephew at the Time when Avatar was on DVD was a Toddler and his Daycare used to show the kids Avatar on the big screen TV it was a small daycare run out of this woman's home My Nephew fell In love with Avatar and still loves it to this day as do my entire Family and I personally cant wait for Glasses-less 3-D Is that really going to be a thing in time for Avatar 2? and If I might ask does anyone know how?

10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Which is why I don't understand why Avatar 2 (let alone multiple sequels) is a good idea. What is he trying to accomplish? He can't have an ace up his sleeve for each of them.

11. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    How is SW doing in India in comparison to Marvel or FF ?? In 10 years it will be a very importzbt market for worldwide domination

12. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    It`s not really a Star Wars market. TFA did 4,5 Million and TLJ 2,5 Million. In comparism Avengers did 12 Million and Jurassic World 22 Million. And FF around 24 Million.

Dependable Star Wars markets overseas are Europe, particularly the UK, Germany, Scandivian countries, then Australia and for Asia, pretty much only Japan.

13. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    Yeah but european and US market aren't growing that much so Lucasfilm need to target growing target like India-Korea-China-South america

vong333 likes this.
  14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    $0.54m yesterday. Needs to do a little better than that to pass Avengers.

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Jumanji and The Last Jedi both spent 3 weekends as the top movie. I don't know what the Maze Runner sequel will open with, but I assume Jumanji has a shot at a 4th weekend.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Problem is, there is no meaning behind those words. How exactly do you target "growing" in those markets?
    You can't turn the franchise into something it simply isn't. Magically wishing that they work in certain places isn't going to get it done. Star Wars is a franchise from the 70s, it has been established for a very long time, that's not something you can translate to other markets. You could of course throw everything that makes the franchise popular over board, in the hopes that doing so will get certain markets to like it, but not only does that have very little chance of working, it also takes the risk of ruining the franchise in the places where it works.

You cannot change Star Wars into something it isn't. You can try and make some smaller attempts of "pandering" (like Rogue One using two big chinese stars) but that's about as far as you can go. There isn't some sort of level you can always reach if you just try hard enough. Sometimes you just don't have what is required to succeed.

vong333 and Darth Luch like this.
  17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is where Cameron is at his dangerous, when he starts inventing and toying around with stuff.

As for the $540,000 it is expected with today being around $700,000. Catching to Avenger's? I don't know if it will have enough legs, it might but I don't see it.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Has the production cost of Avatar 2 passed $1 billion yet?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting read but I honestly think Bright suffered from unnecessary critical groupmind bashing. Sometimes it happens and something gets a pile on effect for being hated. In rare cases, it's the reverse.

I do agree I think Bright had a much better chance at success by being on Netflix than released into the wild of theatrical release, it probably wouldn't have done as "well" (however Netflix regards "well)

20. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    We don't know much about avatar so far

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It will be the first movie in history to need $2 billion or more in box office just to break even.

Ricardo Funes and Darth Luch like this.
  22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You’re friends with Sam Worthington??

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s going to be a fun one to see drop.

That comes out in 2020?

24. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Considering that we are never not going to know the LOADS of money Cameron invested in the tech, when you look at the movie only, it will look he spent 250M or 300M, when in reality he spent over 700M in the tech alone.

25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that's the combined budget of the first two (or three) films.

Still the most expensive films ever made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.