main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It would be extremely unlikely for Black Panther to not reach a multiplier of 2. Comic book movies are frontloaded, but not by that much. Monday is a holiday, so it will be at something like 215m already after just four days. The movie has a better chance of topping 500m than it has of not making it to 400m. Judging from presales, it sounded like opening weekend would be backloaded. That's obviously just one small part of the equation, but I wouldn't assume that interest is suddenly going to drop.

TLJ is a tiny bit behind Rogue One on Friday. Will be interesting to see how the weekend goes.

2. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    We will see saturday gross for BP, it will be interesting.

3. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Why do people think BP will be weak internationally? Most Marvel movies do very well abroad.

Also if BP does do circa 200 mil and then make about 450-500 domestic will people call it a disappointment? I ask because people are suggesting already the multiplier will be low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    $187 mlllion being reported for the likely 3-day opening. $400 million will be very easily and rather quickly taken with such good WOM (probably it's third week now). Yes, $500 million is certainly STRONGLY probable. Why not? It's got all the working parts.

Will it beat BatB?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    La Calavera and yassir.khan like this.
  5. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
    Agreed.

My point is would 500 be a disappointment after that opening? Because 600 plus is for Last Jedi. And the argument has been after such an opening it should have done more. Ergo should BP not do more than 500?

6. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Less than $500 million wouldn't really be a HUGE disappointment. Until recently I never thought the movie would come to $300 million. But upper $200's would have been really GREAT. However...

If my memory serves me correctly, only DoJ: BvS had a multiplier under 2.0X for superhero movies and we all know why. Less than 2.5X is going to be VERY low for BP. The WOM is just TOO strong at the opening. 2.5-2.7 is more reasonable. It just doesn't have any real competition until IW. Wrinkle in Time? nah...not really comp.

yassir.khan likes this.
  7. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
    I definitely agree. Just putting the reaction to TLJ box office in perspective

8. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    Last Jedi Friday estimate: $134,000
    Comparative-
    Rogue One: $177,317
    Force Awaken: $917,914

9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    TFA made $918 million on Friday THIS far out!? Wow!!!

Lee_, The Legions of Lettow and jaqen like this.
  10. n8storm

May 24, 2005
    918K not 918M. Still impressive, though.

Lee_ likes this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    looks like BP's four-day will come within spitting distance of TLJ's three-day opening weekend.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Man, it's really up in the air on which movie is going to be highest domestic grossing for this year.

13. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
    I still think Infinity War will win but I think it will be BP that will be second

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I could see BP beating TLJ. It's a zeitgeist film.

cerealbox, yassir.khan and vong333 like this.
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I wonder if TLJ has enough legs to make it to 620 million. I hope it does. Saw black panther yesterday and this movie deserves the huge opening it’s going to get. The acting, story, and special effects were awesome. It’s like it was improved from galaxy of the guardian, Spider-Man and Thor.

yassir.khan likes this.
  16. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    it will never reach 600 million domestic and worlwide its impossible its only made 35 million in friday

17. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I know bugger all about box office, but I can see BP having huge legs.

jaqen and yassir.khan like this.
  18. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I doubt it. Not with this kind of hype. This is the new blockbuster paradigm. The goal is to get people into theaters as quickly as possible.

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    BP will get close to $500 mill & do over $1 billion ww ,

Interesting : RT 97% , Cinemascore A+ , IMDB 7.8 up from opening at 7.2 , RT audience score only 74% [face_thinking]

20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I dunno. I agree in general, but this feels like a big deal. I could of course be wrong.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    BP is a big deal. It is going to perform very well, perhaps even overperform expectations.
    But beating TLJ at the domestic BO won't happen. It can't be underestimated how rare a 600+ million domestic gross is.

WW I have no idea.

Satipo and yassir.khan like this.
  22. n8storm

May 24, 2005
    Box Office Pro 4 day weekend estimate for Last Jedi: $755,000. 351 theaters.
    Comparative-
    Rogue One: 996,014

23. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i live in a small country in the greater course of things, france, but here the movie seems successful but like any other blockbuster. Very different league fron star wars movies or stuff like GotG or Avengers. And our critics, pro and fans, dont seem to find the movie that great. So it doesnt mean it's gonna be the same in other countries but im starting to wonder if BP is mostly a US phenomenon...could be wrong of course :)

jaqen likes this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The Legions of Lettow and jaqen like this.
  25. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    If we take out Cameron's wonders, all movies that crossed 600M opened with 200M+. Granted, Avengers, Jurassic, TFA and TLJ had 3 day opening of 200M and Black Panther 4 day but that's close enough and the movie has several advantages:

a) slow months ahead with shoddy looking competition. Annihilation is getting great insider buzz but it's an arthouse sci fi that's counter-programming to a superhero blockbuster. Red Sparrow is R rated spy movie, also not a direct competition but counter-programming. Wrinkle in Time is a family movie currently tracking for 35M opening, so nothing major. Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2 look abysmal.

b) Black History Month for added awareness.

It's going to be interesting to follow.

vong333 and jaqen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.