main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Congrats to BP for beating TLJ by a whopping $400,000 over a 4 day period which Monday was not a holiday for TLJ........

jaqen and Ricardo Funes like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If box office comparison stats are making people this butthurt it may be a good idea to take a break.

Less personally aimed snark and more box office discussion.

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh dear, now let's go all over again.

This time the new Jumanji is Black Panther.

What is the point to compare the President's Day of TLJ to Black Panther's?

Othini and jaqen like this.
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Imagine being so butthurt by TLJ's success that you post the least charitable stats every day for two months.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Considering we are in our 19th year of "But, Titanic..." every time The Phantom Menace is referenced, I don't know what to tell you.

Comparisons to other films' success is not at all some revelatory thing started on the last few pages. It is at the heart of discussions such as this one. It just stings more when you happen to love a film so much and days happen where the comparisons don't shine as favorably.

6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I appreciate these raw BO numbers for this holiday weekend in this BO thread posted without commentary or whining or discussing posters. It's why I check in this thread regularly.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This.

Box Office numbers require the context of comparison to mean anything. Being that this is the box office thread - one would assume that posting other comparisons would be not only welcomed but embraced.

This too.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Jedha likes this.
  8. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Finally heading to see BP in a few. Where should I sit?
    [​IMG]

smudger9 likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Let me be abundantly clear:

Yes, @MagnarTheGreat the staff are wholly aware that you are attempting to "weaponize" stats and it's not a good look when you are the constant source.

Yes, we also find it tiresome when any criticism of the film, at all, is swarmed upon by the same handful of relentless protesters.

We do not want an echo chamber but thread health will be restored.

Jango723, TCF-1138 , jaqen and 2 others like this.
  10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The real question is what do the numbers mean, especially for movies released so close together (TLJ, Jumanji, and BP for example)

Is the money made an accurate gauge of which film is more successful? Or the nebulous answer of which one was a "better" film?

In this thread some have pointed to the box office success of TLJ as validation for the direction of the film. Could be for Disney - that I do not know. Some have pointed at the success of other films as comparison.

One thing this thread has revealed to me is the legs of each film is a great barometer for success - which seems to hold up as the best reflection of how the movie is perceived by the general public. Series fans/sequels/hype/trailers seem to drive initial opening night numbers but with each day that goes by, the real strength of the film in regards to the box office is shown.

I don't think that should be a knock on Magnar. "Weaponization" or not, Its a relief honestly that one person is consistently showing the numbers the same way each time in comparison. And doing so without commentary within that post. The numbers are what they are.

If someone is driven to post it - especially without comment, I'm thankful for not having to look up the stats myself. Their feelings on the movie is irrelevant imo.

11. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    This isn't exactly the case. Thursday before last when TLJ jumped RO briefly, Magnar decided not to post the dailies and instead posted the weekly comparison, which favored RO. Again, only posting the least charitable stats. If they can be arranged in a way that looks unfavorable for TLJ, Magnar will find a way.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Amazing.

13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    So what? Counterpost stats in ways that are favorable then. Magnar isn’t the first person to post stats from a POV in here. I swear, this thread is more whining than discussion of stats. The very idea that stats can be “weaponized” in a box office thread is preposterous. Stats are used to make points all over society. If you want to bar that, then you might as well bar all opinions and thought police everyone.

14. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    No thanks. I want less trolls, not more.

jaqen likes this.
  15. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    How on earth did open discussion become synonymous with trolling? Discussion = points and counterpoints, not points and then whining about points.

16. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Show me any discussion Magnar has been a part of.

jaqen likes this.
  17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I don't know what he's talking about TBH. I don't post box office stats everyday. Most come on Fridays or Mondays because that's when the weekend actuals come in or the last weekly actual (Thursday). Week days are worth less $ than weekends typically anyway. I did post about the RO Valentine's Day one-day bump and how the PTA for Week 9 was higher than RO so...I don't get it. I don't post my opinion on the movie or attack other people in this thread and I don't know what there's to talk about besides numbers and their relation to other numbers. Creating a safe space away from numbers strikes me as a weird thing to do in the box office thread but whatever.

n8storm, ChildOfWinds, MS1 and 6 others like this.
  18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    And yet it's done all the time. A mod literally just reiterated that stats are weaponized on this board.

That one Forbes contributor troll posted article after article that weaponized stats to make TLJ look like a flop.

BO stats are framed to push agenda on all sides. We all know that.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  19. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    Weird configuration... where are the center seats?

20. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    It’s not done all the time. If you have problems with people posting stats in ways you disagree with, that’s your issue. They’re just stats. They’re not weapons. It’s a discussion forum. Disagree all you want, but this adamant need to whine to try to suppress posts people disagree with is just ridiculous. “Agenda” is such an OTT word to use in this context. They’re opinions. Everyone has them. We’re talking about movies. No one is trying to take away anyone’s guns in here.

Right, because he/she just posts stats in a box office thread without discussing posters or opinion. Imagine that.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Discuss Box Office or discuss how to be unbanned.
    The topic is not anyone else.
    The topic is not how upsetting it is when others don't hold our superior viewpoint.

The topic is box office.

Or being unbanned.

22. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    it's fun to talk about these numbers and compare each movie's BO, but yes it's tiring when it's only usde to be negative about something.

Dont forget: success doesnt equal quality at all. In fact i have to admit that i find the general mainstream audience -as a whole- to have, well, pretty bad to average taste :-D so i enjoy discussing SWs BO since they are mostly the only big hits that i enjoy. But somehow i wouldnt care if TLJ was 100th or something in BO numbers. great movis are not often a to 10 success of the year.

jaqen likes this.
  23. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    empty theater for 6:45 PM

Othini likes this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    BP vs TLJ makes about as much sense as Indy vs ANH.

The same company wins in the end.

I hope BP makes as much money as humanly possible. It's sickening that it's taken this long to get a film with this kind of representation, at this level, made again. It's BO haul is far more important than TLJ.

SW is SW. It'll go on and on. TLJ performed beautifully, but well within the norm for Star Wars. The franchise is the definition of healthy and strong.

But BP has the potential to crack open long closed doors. It's box office haul has real consequence for those many of us that have hungered for representation at the highest levels of film, but have largely been denied.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Different yet vaguely familiar is a thing now. Jumanji and BP had some familiarity but not extraordinarily much. They were just different from the norm and have succeeded. Nice to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.