main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm so glad it hasn't reached the 1,5 Billion mark, as predicted =D=
    the lack of repeated viewings by angry/disappointed fans is notorious
    if this hadn't been the sequel of TFA, "just" an anthology film, it wouldn't have reached the 1 Billion mark

2Cleva and Jedha like this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    BP:$300 million in 8 days
    $400 million in 10 days.
    Predicted second largest second weekend of all time.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Who at Disney-LFL predicted 1.5 billion?

Why are you, a Star Wars fan, glad that a Star Wars film made less money than "as predicted"?

4. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    TLJ was a big hit. Deal with it. I also know it brought in a lot of new fans that thought Star Wars opted for a new and needed direction. Older fans and new fans that thought TFA maybe was a tad too vanilla.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    TLJ will continue to be a top 10 all time hit in the U.S. for several more years before it is eventually bumped. There's no way it can be construed as anything other than a major blockbuster.

It's been fun comparing BP to TLJ and JW. Jurassic World had kids out for summer vacation driving a lot of box office in the mid week. TLJ had a second week holiday when millions of people were out of school and off work for the full week. Black Panther has no inherent advantage other than its holiday Monday, which was mostly a school holiday. And yet, it has done phenomenally well mid week. A bit off from Jurassic World, but I suspect that means more pent up demand this weekend and a surprisingly good hold.

This goes without saying but, despite excellent reviews, Annihilation is going to get buried.

jaqen, Jedha and Satipo like this.
  6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Looks like BP is gonna add about 14.2 million for Thursday.

TLJ's first week defeats BP's holiday first week, 296.6m to 291.9m.

Rylo Ken and Satipo like this.
  7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Considering all context (Star Wars branding of TLJ, time of year of releases, SW built in fan-base) what BP did was more impressive imo.

JediAce1 and Jedha like this.
  8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Deadline projects $104M+ for the second Black Panther weekend ($32M ahead of TLJ for the second weekend). Boxofficemojo thinks $120M for the second weekend ($48M ahead of TLJ for the second weekend).

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It will be tough for Black Panther to pass 600m given the time of year it was released. I think this is showing that some people had way to high of expectations for TLJ as Black Panther was a 200m+ release as well and looks to be holding up worse than TLJ did. We just don't have enough data on 200m+ openings yet to make real accurate predictions on them.

Othini and Jedha like this.
  10. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Very impressive, indeed. Easily the most impressive first week for a Marvel movie.

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I would agree that BP's success is hugely impressive, but you're ignoring the cultural aspect and pent up demand for BP, vs the third SW film in as many years. BP is essentially the Marvel SW here - a zeitgeist film. But each franchise gets the shot at a zeitgeist film once per generation. TFA did it for SW - where you get people that wouldn't normally go to the cinema picking up on the buzz, critical praise and WoM and checking it out. That's what gives that huge (and deserved) boost. I think BP could well beat TLJ, what will be amazing to see is just how big it is. I would not expect the BP sequel to be so big though (regardless of quality).

12. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    It's not a December or Summer release where people are off of school or work during the weekdays (besides President's Day). So the weekends will be loaded up on the demand that would have happened during the weekdays in those other scenarios.

jaqen, 2Cleva and Jedha like this.
  13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    TLJ's second weekend also was Christmas weekend though.

14. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Looking strictly at domestic numbers, Black Panther is beaten by Detective Chinatown 2 ( i know, who?) opening during the Chinese holiday. First 6 days gross $ 299 mill. With huge competition. If any Hollywood blockbuster was being released in China now, it would have been blasted from surface...

@jamminjedi23 Think you are right about that. Maybe its a symptom of something we are likely to see a lot in the future. Some movies opening over $ 200 mil, even over $ 250 mill at some point, but legs will find a new definition here, even when a movie is being well received. I believe most people would want to see the movie during the first weekend / week, and most big movies will burn off rather quickly. Wonder Woman did something unsusual last summer, but its OW was pretty low in todays standards.

15. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Black Panther will earn what it’s supposed to earn. Regardless of its release date. Obviously there are advantages. But I think all it will mean is very high weekend takes for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaqen, 2Cleva and Satipo like this.
  16. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    For sure. This is why weekly comparisons will be more useful than weekend comparisons.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And the funny thing is, DC2 only opened in second place!
    The Chinese new year's holiday delivered simply absurd numbers. DC2 336m, Monster Hunt 2 286m, Operation Red Sea 227m, Monkey King 3 100m, Boonie Bears 71m, all over the last seven days. MH2 actually delivered by far the biggest opening, but had pretty average WOM to say the least, so it fell behind DC2.

With that kind of drop, 100m+ for the weekend looks pretty likely. Behaving like Deadpool should put it right at 100m, and I think this might actually play a bit better.

Othini likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    [QUOTE="Othini, post: 54909240, member: 1376730"

@jamminjedi23 Think you are right about that. Maybe its a symptom of something we are likely to see a lot in the future. Some movies opening over $ 200 mil, even over $ 250 mill at some point, but legs will find a new definition here, even when a movie is being well received. I believe most people would want to see the movie during the first weekend / week, and most big movies will burn off rather quickly. Wonder Woman did something unsusual last summer, but its OW was pretty low in todays standards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah with as much marketing as these movies get these days it's getting to the point to where a significant portion of the people that intend to see the movie in theaters are seeing it opening weekend (or at least opening week). Using OW's to judge legs is a strategy that is becoming increasingly out of date with each passing year.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, you see, posts like this are just classic #### stirring in its most cynically purist form. A perfect example of the toxicity that has infested this website and message board of late, and one of the main reasons why I (and I’m sure many others) don’t post much anymore.

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    True. If you have an interest in other areas of Star Wars outside of talk about the immediate movie going on the atmosphere isn't that bad and you can post there without many problems. I read a lot of the books and the lit section is fine to talk at. Same with the tv section. Most of the toxicity seems to be primarily focused on threads dealing with TLJ.

21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Either way, Disney are swimming in money.

jaqen likes this.
  22. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Day 70: The Last Jedi current gross: $618,375,718
    Day 70:
    The Last Jedi current multiplier (total gross divided by opening): 2.81
    Day 70:
    Amount of money Rogue One had left to earn: $3,156,780
    Day 64 to 70: % The Last Jedi trailed Rogue One: -21.18%
    Day 140 (May 2017):
    Last day Rogue One was tracked in theaters. The Last Jedi would end up with a final tally of $620,863,892 by same day if no further change versus Rogue One.

Week 10 ended yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2Cleva and jaqen like this.
  23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    BP
    7-Day Total:
    $291,954,422

TLJ
    7-Day Total:
    $296,602,356

=D=

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Never tell him the odds... ;)

Pro Scoundrel and jaqen like this.
  25. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Deadline's come down now with industry projections of $92M+ for BP's second weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.