main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    If you make a good "Four Quadrant" film, it will make money.

Hollywood should know that by now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-quadrant_movie

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Satipo likes this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Still haven't seen it, yet there's ample opportunity; despite being released for streaming next week it's still playing in plenty of theaters here.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The rules for how movie releases work and how long audience interest can last for a series have completely changed in the last ten years. We're off the map for how movies worked in the 20th century and into uncharted territory. And the changes are just getting started. A streaming services war is about to start. When it's over there will probably be three mega media companies left. The big factors for who wins are going to be subscriber, bandwidth, content, and money backing a service.

Even if Star Wars looses some of it's luster in theaters - it's going to be one big domino for Disney's streaming services. Also every new Star Wars theatrical release becomes a 5 star home media event 7 months later when it arrives on streaming. And we're seeing with Marvel that there is no such thing as Super Hero Fatigue. Super Hero Movies are to theater goes today what Westerns were for the first 70 years of cinema. My hope Star Wars can fall into a pattern like Marvel, where all the films are solid hits, with one standout block buster every few years. But how does that work when there are also Star War TV shows happening at the same time.

So what happens next? We're going to get more Star Wars than we ever dared dream of. And anything can happen.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Othini, MaciekRS and jaqen like this.
  4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think what we'll see, as with Marvel, is "new" stories with a familiar branding to make things connected to what audiences know. Franchises are certainly the "thing" these days but there is a desire for new material within those familiar brands. New heroes and stories for known (well or little) heroes is how Marvel will be doing it. For SW, it means keeping that galactic familiarity but opening the door to new stories and characters. Unfortunately, new stories not tied to familiar brands just aren't making it these days.

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    TLJ made it to $1.330 billion. Now we just need that domestic boost to get it to $620 million.

Ricardo Funes and jaqen like this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Looks like around 8m Mon for BP. BP is going to need to continue to have incredible weekends in order to pass TLJ with second weekday numbers like that.

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I think it will pass TLJ. Not sure about Avengers. Should be nestled in among those two.

The $650 million projection is WAY too high. $630 seems to be around the highest. Absolutely stunning no matter what!

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We'll see. There really isn't much difference between TLJ and Avengers so saying it will pass one but not the other doesn't mean much other than saying it will pass TLJ. BP will start falling off TLJ's pace this week. TLJ had 464m by the end of its second slot of weekdays and had 50+ m third weekend (including a 66m long third weekend). BP is going to need to start playing catch up a bit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Somehow that seems less impressive now. It just got eaten alive by a Black Panther in less than 2 weeks. It was just another mid size blockbuster when you look back in the history books. The focus on its success in this thread, maybe not really justified by what it really did.

10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Since when does a 900 million+ movie count as a "mid-size" blockbuster?

11. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    So much credit is given to Disney for putting out so many ridiculously lucrative blockbusters. But how much credit does Disney TRULY deserve for Marvel and SW? They just distributed these after all. They also distributed movies I didn't even realize they did like Lincoln.

Disney is so much different than other studios in that they are like an amoeba engulfing other protozoa. They're still great, but the credit still needs to be mostly on Marvel and Lucasfilm as corporations. I mean, pretty soon they will get credit for Avatar sequels too?

jaqen likes this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Nipuhanipera

Agree especially since they only threw $90 million in the production budget. Jumanji #2 was a mini pop culture phenomenon. It just kept going and continues to do so. This was it's 12th weekend out and still is in the Top 10 for the weekend (#6). Meanwhile TLJ fell out of the Top Ten after it's ninth weekend. TLJ came in like a lion but is going out like a lamb.

@jedijax

Disney still deserves a lot of credit for building the workshop for these franchises to work in. I also think Disney brass is starting to get a bit concerned about Star Wars and if it's potential is being meant. Solo even if it does pretty well, looks to be fighting for a Top 5 finish this year.

2Cleva likes this.
  13. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    That Monday number is on par with Avengers 1 which ended up making 623million.

2Cleva and jaqen like this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I can’t quite understand why BP would need to meet winter vacation weekday numbers in order to match other bloackbusters, many of which also didn’t benefit from winter holiday weekdays. It’s a hit with kids and kids are in school. The weekends are what I’ll be watching.

jaqen likes this.
  15. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    Next week end BP will have no competitor again so it will be big. In two week wrinkle in time will be a competitor even if its got bad review (i really think it will) and then tomb raider and pcific rim will be big competitor. If they got good review they will take the lead.
    10 million oversea monday

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Do you have some evidence that Disney is starting to get concerned about Star Wars' "potential"?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    @Nipuhanipera Beaten by Black Panther in two weeks ( domestic i should have added + BP not having happy holidays to go by) All this Jumanji playing underdog is simply more or less more about some people not getting the whole picture )
    @Luke02 Mini pop culture phenomenon? Really :)

Perspective do not come after 5 weeks of media headlines. Try again.

$ 900 mill is probably not enough to save Sony long term. Like someone else posted, we are likely to have 3 big studios within 5 years. Expect Disney to grab Sony and its Marvel stuff as well.

18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    BP is underperforming Jurassic World's second Monday, but it had a much better second weekend hold. I expect the third weekend hold will be very good. Red Sparrow should do pretty well for an R rated opening weekend, but it won't hurt BP, and BP will be the number one movie for the third straight week. It looks very good to tie JW's 17 days to $500 million. And $600 million is all but guaranteed at this point.

19. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Jurassic World came out during the summer. All schools are in session obviously and President’s Day is traditionally not a huge day at the box office with the exception of Deadpool. This just adds to the absolutely insanity of Black Panther. It is putting summer/holiday type numbers out of the gate in February. Incredible.

jaqen, JediAce1 and 2Cleva like this.
  21. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    For Marvel, Feige certainly deserves all the credit for nurturing the MCU and getting all the right people. After his string of blockbusters, it's pretty clear it's more talent/skill with him than luck.

2Cleva likes this.
  22. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    Did beauty and the beast had holidays boost in march ?

23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $618,728,556 46.5%
    + Foreign: $711,433,993 53.5%
    = Worldwide: $1,330,162,549

Almost reaching a round number, 620M.

jaqen, Ody_Mandrell and Othini like this.
  24. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Credit to Lucasfilm, Disney and Kathleen Kennedy for having 3 movies in 3 years over $ 1 billion.

MaciekRS, jaqen, Ody_Mandrell and 2 others like this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Darth Luch

Sort of. Spring break weeks in the US can start as early as the week of St. Patty’s Day though typically most schools are out the last week of March now (the schools my wife and I work at are along with the grade school my boys attend). So Beauty did some help with kids starting to be off those weeks in March and Early April. Nothing like a summer opening or even a holiday one but I am sure it got a little help from having spring breaks close by which is why I at least in terms of release dates, Pacific Rim 2 got the better opening date compared to Ready Player One. PR 2 is coming out March 24 which will be the start of many Spring Breaks. Ready Player One comes out a week later therefore it will be coming out just as many Spring Break ends.

Edit: Black Panther did almost $11 million yesterday. That is only three million behind TLJ's second Monday total of $14 million. TLJ second Monday fell on January 1st. Black Panther's fell on February 26th. It just topped the total for Civil War and Iron Man 3 domestically. It will eclipse Wonder Woman's total after business today. All in less then twelve days. Again incredible.

2Cleva and Darth Luch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.