main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Blimey im seeing this every where now, im so shocked they went there, if i wasnt booked with family and friends I seriously would have cancelled my tickets until after i read lots of reviews. This will be the nail in the coffin for some if true. Me being one of them. My interest has literally fallen off a cliff for now.

2. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    This is more than uncool, it's delibarate and awful.

As for the BO - I wonder how opening night will look like - I remember being little disappointed with R1 figures...

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ---> Let's please not discuss the specifics of spoilers in this thread; that's not even really the topic, and we have other threads for that. If you must give a specific example to explain your thoughts about box office potential (the topic!), please do it with spoiler tags.

Dr_Cthulhu and Rylo Ken like this.
  4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm wanting to go in and hope that all of this panic will be calmed when the film is great. Open mind is what I had with TFA and it was GREAT! It opened a lot of doors to great mysteries. I hope that TLJ doesn't slam those doors shut and break the hinges in the process. I am hopeful it doesn't.

jaqen likes this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You remember being disappointed, despite it slightly over performing expectations?

6. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Thursday cant get here soon enough

Satipo i think they meant dissapointed with rogue ones preview number...was kinda shocked it was under 30 myself

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Disney has displayed nothing but confidence about this movie, and I think that's the best leading indicator we have for what the reviews are going to be like.

With Rogue One, everyone knew about the rewrites, reshoots and directorial assist that happened to "salvage" the movie. There was deep concern, and yet it made nearly $1.1 billion and was the second biggest movie of 2016.

Solo has a fired director with comprehensive reshoots at enormous expense.

What was the bad news about TLJ? Pretty much nothing. Disney has expressed confidence in Johnson. Security has been draconian, sure, but the premiere was a spectacular success and social media reactions have been overwhelmingly positive. The only shadow hanging over TLJ production was the unavailability of Carrie Fisher for pick-ups and ADR.

8. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I'm going to go in with an open mind. But I damn well will also be expecting IX to satisfy worries and fears that may be out there from TLJ.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    They've certainly been advertising TLJ a LOT on my website (I have a weather website and run ad's from company called "Teads" who specialize in video ads that appear within paragraphs of written content) We've been running TLJ ad's every day for around three week... Suspect thats reflective of a very strong website and social media campaign.

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Rogue One was made for the diehards like ourselves and was an outside the box SW film. TLJ is another crowd pleasing popcorn film by all accounts (even with the “twists” which really are not twists at all if you follow the spoilers). There is no reason to believe this will not fall somewhere between $200-225 million OW. How it holds up is another matter. Again I am feeling $700-750 million domestically though I would not be shocked if it creep up into the $800’s.

I am not really curious about TLJ box office. It’s going to print money. It’s going to be how Episode IX holds up which is a topic for another day.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, but that's not specific to discussions about box office.

This is not the thread to voice concerns about the plot, discuss spoilers, etc.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I still think TLJ will follow the pattern set by ESB and AOTC and will earn the least amount of $$$$$ of any film in this trilogy... But we're still talking about it earning a huge amount of money, being the biggest film of the year, etc, etc...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I disagree, because both those films were coming out under different circumstances. ESB came out in an era where sequels were not really a thing in terms of blockbuster fare, they were usually cheap rehashes and genuinely interesting follow-ups were rare. AOTC came out following (not my opinion, but objectively) a big sense of disappointment and anger around TPM and so had an inevitable drop.

This film is coming out following an already beloved TFA, in an era where franchises are everything, and it's massively hyped with big twists promised and a great critical response looking likely... I think it will hold up excellently and the drop will come with Episode IX.

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It’s a topic for a different day and a different thread but I think we might be seeing a different arc for the ST box office wise.

Darth Palpadious

But at the end of the day, TFA was the most anticipated sequel in history (might had been the most aniticpated movie of all times as well though I will always argue that TPM was, that was hype for two years basically especially once Titanic finally kinda died down, all eyes turned to the return of SW to the big screen) that people waited 30 plus years to see and had a true heavyweight actor that when playing the right role puts butts in the seat with Harrison Ford as Han Solo. TLJ is simply the sequel to that movie that while Luke Skywalker is a beloved character, Mark simply does not have the same weight as an actor that Harrison does again if he is in the right role.

Ironically enough I totally agree that a major drop off will occur with Episode IX but just for different reasons.

Guidman and Darth Palpadious like this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I agree with G-FETT. The global box office order of the ST is going to be TFA, IX, TLJ

G-FETT likes this.
  16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Is it today or tomorrow that the RT scores will start showing up? And what time?

17. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    Reviews are out in half an hour, I would expect the RT score to start registering by the end of the day.

18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I thought I saw on here they are holding it back for that See it, Skip it show they do on Thursday at 12AM (I could be wrong). Although when they did this for JL, there were ways to see what the score was. Although it's going to be changing for probably the next week or so.

Luke02 likes this.
  19. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    Oh I really hope they don't do that. See It/Skip It has been a really bad idea.

20. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    Hollywoos reporter is thinking a 425 ww opening,

Closer to tfa (528) the rogue one (291)

21. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    Hollywoos reporter is thinking a 425 ww opening,

Closer to tfa (528) the rogue one (291)

22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Agreed. I think TLJ itself will see major drop offs from the OW. I predict a considerably lower multiplier than R1.

23. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    U predicted 190 ow 620 overall how is that signifigantly a worse multiplier then rogue one

24. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    could not find the thread. then realized they moved it to the TFA forum. Guessing it is for spoiler safety the next few days.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Domestic over $200 million, worldwide between $475 low end up to $700 million high end. Still will be a knock out.

26. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    96% RT with 83 reviews according to RT Twitter

27. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
  28. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That's settled, then. It's a critical triumph. It's going to be closing in on if not blowing by $500 million worldwide by the end of Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.