main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The RT crew must know that their audience score is not protected from double voting, from people voting even before seeing the movie, etc... the way it is now, it is useless and they know it.

jaqen likes this.
  2. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Two years ago tonight no movie had ever opened to a 100 million ow in december...

2 years later a sw movie has done it 3 times in a row and vone over a 100 od and 200 ow twice

And the 3 movies average over 200 ow

jaqen and Darth Luch like this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Wow, they need to sort this place out. No forum should crash like this. This place gets it worse than any other. Not good.

jaqen and Miles Lodson like this.
  4. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think its the critics reviews that really need questioning. Absolute manufactured rubbish that they are so high.

5. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Like it or not there is a massive surge in people that dont like this movie, its trending on twitter and its hitting main news outlets, this far exceeds anything tfa or rogue one received!

6. dan1210

Mar 27, 2015
    Like it or not there is a massive surge in people that dont like this movie, its trending on twitter and its hitting main news outlets, this far exceeds anything tfa or rogue one received!

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hahaha well see the good news is I don’t have to “like it,” because that’s nonsense! The movie has 5/5 from PostTrak exit polling and 90% positive. There are as usual with any film a small minority of people who didn’t like it - which is fine - but when those people lack both the self esteem and the reading comprehension to just say with confidence, “I didn’t like the movie,” that’s when we have problems. I’ve never cared if someone else likes or doesn’t like whatever, that’s their right. Be confident your opinion counts and matters just as much as anyone else no matter what. Don’t try to appeal to some “huge” group of detractors when it doesn’t exist. It reeks of low self esteem and lack of conviction. I hate plenty of popular, Oscar-nominated movies. I don’t need to pretend I’m in the majority though; I don’t need to be, it’s just my opinion.

If you still need to understand why you’re wrong: http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wa...c-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/

Lets knock it off with that fake news, please. Go express your minority view in the appropriate thread; this one is about the domination of TLJ at the box office.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice Bowen. This article tells the story.

"The consensus from non-Disney sources this morning is that “trolling” occurred here in regards to the online reaction to Last Jedi. "

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Professional critics are far more rational reviewers than your traditional fan is. They do a much better job at seeing the full picture of a movie instead of exaggerating the one or two things about a movie they didn't like a hundred times over.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I'm about to the point that I believe the Rotten Tomatoes Audience score thing is a massive trolling.

Firstly, when did it even become an area of focus? There has been no talk of it at all as an important measuring stick until now in any quarter as related to this movie until now.

Why is it a pain to get a decent seat tomorrow (aka a non-holiday Monday) if "everyone" hates it?

Why do my audiences gasp, cheer, laugh, and clap throughout right along with me?

Why do I love it so much? This is a fantastic episode. Based on limited viewings I have right up there with Empire and may like it more even if I Would say Empire is tighter and more balanced a work of cinema. I haven't been so blown away at least since The Matrix or maybe the OT.
    I'm an audience member and everything is playing out as if the actual reaction is way closer to greatness than garbage.

I'm betting on fairly low drops. This is an incredible piece of work that potentially even probably has exploded possibilities in that galaxy far, far away.

I don't think we need to limit our thinking to trilogies or lineages or personal backgrounds anymore.

I don't think killing a character changes the need to recast them so we may as well get over that now. Truly no one is really gone.

I think we are closer to the beginning than the end.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    $23 million Monday is what I envision today.

It's starting to sink in about the divide among fans, casuals, and critics and the downright war between them all.

TLJ is a very good movie and even a good SW movie. However, it doesn't really "play well with others" or it's not a "team player". It doesn't answer or brushes aside questions raised in TFA in a way that says to fans "ha ha ha-you fan geeks have all the answer don't you... well here's what you get" and pretty much tells those who ponder questions from TFA that they are stupid for doing so.

So the movie (as I posted in the fan review thread) is a case of "Cry Wolf" and "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". People came running to see where it would go and how it would link to TFA expecting at least some key answers or at least hints at satisfying answers. Most did not get that and have little faith in whether IX will deliver. They don't want to take the risk in being fooled again and waste their energy on false hopes. It happens WAY too much in SW and in any franchise really.

You can only have the "let's make a movie that WE want to make rather than what fans want" mindset so much. There's a fine line between being risky and appeasing. Okay maybe there's a galaxy-sized gap between the two. There's GOT to be an in-between and, sadly, many many fans did not see that at all. I fully 100% understand that.

I liked the movie and now feel like I don't want to ask questions about what happens next and now feel INCREDIBLY foolish for EVER having questions to discuss in the past 2 years. Instead of seeing how IX could go or whether it will play "damage control" I am, like, whatever. Just finish this series out and be done with it but give at leas some nice moments and don't be TOO depressing.

12. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Sorry, deleted my comment. Decided its not all worth thinking about any more :-(

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012

Well, ponder is one thing, but it is kind of silly that fans get so worked up about these things.

Strongbow likes this.
  14. Kylo_Ben

Kylo_Ben Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2017
    Star Wars fans are simultaneously the best and worst in the galaxy. I'm a massively casual visitor but after the movies I like to get in here and mostly read.

It was a mistake this time, I loved the movie and yet a very vocal minority are giving me a buzz kill.

A portion of the fandom has enormous egos and narrow expectations and can't rationalise things that surprise them.

This movie was great. Will perform exceptionally well at the BO and lead to more Star Wars films.

I'm an OT fan long before the prequels. But...

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have too."

This is the only way for Star Wars to carry on.

Xinau, The Raddinator, jaqen and 2 others like this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Personally it makes no odds to me what others think. Each film has had its detractors, thats the norm for any film, but is that negativity with TLJ any more or less than the others though? I don't think anyone can say that it is with 100% certainty.

16. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Plus I looked at Twitter last night and could not find this supposed "trend" anywhere.

AndyLGR likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    TLJ smashed a lot of headcanon. There was obviously a ton of online troll voting from the fandom.

Anecdotally? This was the first episode since TPM that I didn't see my first viewing at a major, fan friendly venue. I wanted to see it with friends who, while loving SW, don't care about picking the big, uber theaters in NY. So we saw it at a "normal" theater in south Brooklyn.

There were at least 4 audience clap moments during the film, and a long applause at the end. The vibe was incredible. Lots of people hung around through half the credits.

18. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It seems, to say the least, a little premature to come to conclusions about some epic split on the movie. The fact is that right now, all the actually quantifiable or rigorous ways of looking at opinions of it - Com Score, Cinemascore, critics' reviews - point in the same direction. Maybe the backlash on some fan forums and unscientific web polls represents some broader section of the GA but there's no reason at all to think that it does yet.

Though I admit that's partially just me speaking as someone who loved the movie enough to be inspired enough to finally join these boards for it and has been a bit depressed to find so many people determined to prove that not only did they hate it but everyone else must have too. It's ok to not like something that is broadly popular! (Similarly if there IS a big backlash and reappraisal later, It's ok for people to still like it anyway!)

jaqen likes this.
  19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    me and arjank too, in shock and despair.

OriForce and Darth Smurf like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The Rotten Tomatoes audience score has become an issue because the people who didn't like the film have been using it as fuel for their argument against the movie. Good to see though that articles are now calling the poll out though.

jedijax I think you are exaggerating just how many people were obsessing over the mysteries raised in TFA. It definitely is a very polarizing film amongst the hardcore community (people who post constantly about Star Wars on social media) but that amounts to a very small portion of the people who go see the film. Most people just want an entertaining movie to watch and that TLJ was.

The Raddinator likes this.
  21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    jaqen but see here's the thing. About 100k people voted on RT. If there was trolling going on and I am SURE there has been some (not really trolling but rather very emotional people), the we're talking roughly 56K people doing that.

Are we really going to say that 56K people are trolling? And trolling is really people saying one thing despite feeling another. I think polarizing based on headcanon?-yes. Passionate about certain expectations? Yes. But "trolling"? No. That's not what trolling is.

I liked the movie but understand everything that people who feel negative. I have concerns too. But SW does that more than any other franchise in history. It's just the way SW is and has been. So finding that line between making fans happy and making a movie that they want is very very tough. VERY tough with SW-possibly the toughest. It will never be perfect.

22. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017

Part of the problem though is that something like the RT score is so open and unscientific that it wouldn't need to be 56k people at all. It could be a vastly smaller number of people voting multiple times, which isn't hard to do, and indeed interference from bots.

Now that doesn't mean it *is* those things. A lot of fans clearly do not like the film, and the sort of people who vote in online polls like this tend to be very passionate. I have no doubt the majority *are* real fans with totally legitimate complaints. But the fact that these polls are so easily open to this kind of interference at all makes them fairly useless as a barometer for judging actual fan views, let alone those of the general audience.

Strongbow likes this.
  23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

What do you base that on? The fact that you didn't like the movie? We KNOW the audience score is manipulated. Do you have any evidence at all that the critic reviews are "manufactured?" I won't hold my breath.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    According to Jon Campea, there were over 20k negative user votes posted on RT before the movie was even released.
    Make of that what you will.

25. dan1210

Mar 27, 2015
    Again, major news outlets around the world are reporting massive fan backlash regarding this movie, thats a fact. Ive seen it twice now, it actually gets worse. I predict this will be the most disliked movie in the saga once the dust has settled.

OriForce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.