main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    David's awesome. It actually drags the movies down that they have to inject aliens to keep up with the title, but David's antics work without them. Like, you can totally write a space movie about David without having xenomorphs in it, just other aliens such as the Engineers and canon fodder humans.

nightangel likes this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    any recommendations of movies to watch in cinema in the upcoming weeks? I'm bored. :rolleyes:

3. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
  4. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah thanks hana_solo I have this movie on my screen, but so far as the only one this summer. ;) Won't watch Pirates (since I did not yet see Pirates 4). I'm also not sure about this new Spiderman reboot. [face_sigh]I may watch Valerian.

5. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    nightangel You don't have to see POTC4 to follow POTC5. POTC4 was a standalone. POTC5 is connected to POTC1-3. So if you watched those and liked them, you can easily watch POTC5. Reviews will pop up today.

I don't know if you are into new Planet of the Apes movies. They are very good and the third one looks fantastic (July). I see that Baby Driver is getting a lot of Internet buzz but I haven't follow that one.

6. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    hana_solo yeah I will wait for some reviews of Pirates 5 to decide. I liked the new Apes movies so far and saw a trailer, so that may be another movie to consider. ;)

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    nightangel likes this.
  8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I know it's way early, but what do people think the OW's and domestic totals will be for Infinity Wars and Han Solo next year?

I will shoot first.

Infinity Wars: OW: $195 million/ DOM: $505 million
    Han Solo: OW: $160 million/ DOM: $430 million

9. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    LOL, more gifs

[​IMG]

10. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I saw Alien: Covenant on Saturday night. It was a decent sci-fi film. The theater was 70% full at my viewing. I am not a diehard fan of the franchise but I enjoyed it and had fun, just as I did Prometheus. Whenever I see an Alien movie, I expect great art, exploration and action scenes with gore, and it delivered with that. One scene is so morbid it could easily startle even desensitized viewers. The characters and writing weren't bad by any means, but generic. There is a super cool flashback scene.

I would rate 7/10. Go for the art, exploration and blood & guts alien action.

11. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I was a little disappointed in Covenant. It wasn't bad, and I plan on catching it again on DVD (I'm a completist when it comes to the Alien series anyway), but I just feel like Scott went out of his way to please fans of Alien instead of moving forward with what he set up in Prometheus. It felt like this is what the Star Wars prequels would have felt like if George Lucas gave way to fan base criticism and had Anakin turn into Darth Vader in Episode II instead of Episode III. It may have been okay...but would also have felt hollow and unearned.

Who knows. Maybe it'll play better for me on repeat viewings. But it definitely wasn't as good as Prometheus. :-\

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So much for my optimism for Pirates 5. 24% on RT right now. Ouch.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    In 2017, GotG 2 is one of the rare movies receiving nice RT scores... most of the others are about 70%, and a tiny few are up to the low 80%.

Rogue One got better reviews than all of those recent movies.

Do you think Hollywood should focus more on quality rather than quantity? I feel there are too many generic action movies recently.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yeah ouch, I thought this one was going to bring back at least some of the spirit of the first couple.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Probably end up in the 45-50% range when all's said and done. It's at 38% now. Still thought it was going to get a fresh rating though.

Should still be able to pretty much cruise to #1 over the long weekend.

16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000

Depends on that movie's return on investment potential. If you want to build a compelling franchise, for example or - perhaps more importantly? - do a SW/LotR-style trilogy/series that requires the first movie to generate enough sales AND buzz to propel the series forward.

Example: Star Wars Saga movies vs any individual Marvel movie

Although SW has been fairly unique thus far, I think, in so much resting on the quality of both the movies snd story.

17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Prayers with Zack Snyder and his family who lost his daughter to suicide. Horrible thing! Unimagineable. A nephew of mine took his own life in March. It is sickening how often this is happening.

Blue 5 likes this.
  18. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Thanks for being open about such a serious topic jedijax. Suicide is still very much taboo to talk about it seems.
    The Justice League film will be finished by Joss Whedon it seems like.

Feels like a day when discussing box office is not that important. If you look at the combined RT scores for Pirates and Baywatch, one must think summer arrived a bit to early for some. It remains to be seen if the audience reject both films, they will both play as mindless entertainment for a large worldwide audience, so there will be some money made.

I think December could not come fast enough.

19. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Baywatch. Burned.
    PotC 5. Burned.

I hope the critics are treating Wonder Woman better.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The pain Zack Synder and his wife is feeling right now NOBODY should go through. Hope his family and him are finding strength in this tragedy.

Baywatch has a 7% on RT right now. Part of me now wants to see it just to see it if it's truly that bad.

I am still holding out hope WW is solid but preparing for the worst.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    POTC has never been all that popular with critics. The first one was in the high 70s (and lower with top critics), all the others were rotten, though the second one was at least able to get more positive than negative reviews.

Quite frankly, I'd take the first or second POTC way ahead of some of those oh so great movies that got 90+% positive reviews. The first one is pretty much the perfect adventure movie, if it weren't for Indiana Jones it would probably define the genre. The second one brings all the humour and action a movie needs, though it is a bit darker and doesn't quite match the adventure-tone as perfectly as the first one.

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Problem with POTC is it focus too much on Johnny Depp as the series progressed. Jack Sparrow is a great character but too much of him gets annoying and he isn't what a true story be about. That is why Pirates 1 was fabulous, Pirates 2 was good but the last couple have been entertaining but nothing special.

Weekend actuals showed Covenant won the weekend by a bit more then expected but still less two million. Never showed been that close. I wonder if the bad reviews for Pirates 5 and Baywatch will continue the box office being down 10% since I think GOTG 2 will suddenly get people who were considering seeing Pirates 5 and/or Baywatch but decided against it after the bad reviews. GOTG 2 will drop like it was meant to regardless of what Pirates 5 and Baywatch does.

And on top of all that is happening in Manchester (cannot even put into words), Roger Moore passed at 89. He was the first Bond to die. :(

Guidman and Ricardo Funes like this.
  23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    That 10% is only going to grow throughout the summer. Looking at the calendar, I can't see any of the films after Dunkirk doing that much at the box office. This could be one of the worst August's on record. I know a lot of people on here are excited for The Dark Tower but I see the box office for that as fairly limited, might not even have a $100M movie that month.

Luke02 likes this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    To be honest, except BatB, all movies this year are failing to bring high profits.

BatB profits will be brilliant, even better than Rogue One. They had lower production costs, and except if the main actress had a too large share or they spent too much money on marketing, BatB will profit 80M ~100M more than R1, which is brutal (R1 brought the highest profit of 2016 for Disney).
    I blame the reshoots for R1 to have lost money on higher production costs and the downscaled (very shy) marketing campaign.

Now, F8 has a brutal China Box Office, which translates not so well to US Dollar Profits. Even with higher BO numbers than BatB, the profits will be way less than BatB. DOM BO, which is where studios get about 50%, is so lame for F8 it is not even funny.

So this is a year so far dominated by Disney. And by december, Disney will have profit so much with BatB + TLJ, it will be again far ahead of all other studios in real cash conversion.

And next year, OMG, Disney will be brutal again. Look at the lineup they have prepared.

ESPN may be a dead business model, but the studios are keeping the stock alive. Especially with the studio + parks integration.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    High profits is in the high of the beholder. If you are just looking at straight up OMG box office numbers, yes only Beauty, Furious 8 (worldwide) and soon to be GOTG 2 tuly fit that bill. But in terms of high profit margins, there have been some big ones this year beyond those three. Hidden Features, La La Land, Split, Get Out all made absolute huge profits based off its production cost. Heck Logan is going to have a monster profit margin too since its production cost was less then a hundred million but is already over $600 million worldwide. So there are movies making some huge profits but the overall trend is the theatre houses continue to lose steam. 2015 truly is looking like a huge anomaly.

Rylo Ken likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.