main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Will finally see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes onDemand tonight.

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    They better NOT kill Maurice! I can take anything from Apes but that. Just No.

3. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    VERY good movie! I see a huge difference between this and other movies. The sheer emotion and depth was excellent. Every move was very deliberate and carefully thought through. Definitely deserved the 90% RT score it got.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    95%.

ETA: Sorry, just realized you were talking about Dawn.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd easily put Rise and Dawn alongside the original Planet of the Apes, and it sounds like War may be the best yet. I find this astounding. (We can ignore the increasingly terrible sequels, starting with nuclear bomb-worshipping mutants and ending with a school bus riding into Ape Village...)

Gigoran Monk and yassir.khan like this.
  6. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Apes are showing everyone how prequel movies are done. It's tough to do prequels cause we know how the story ends. Yet the journey there with Caesar&friends is really fascinating. I think it also helps that it takes place hundreds of years before the original POTA, so they have freedom with the story. It's much tougher to have freedom with characters who appear both in the original and the prequels.

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    There were aspects of Lion King, Avatar/Pocohantas and other stories but they were only aspects and not complete take aways (like Avatar) and it had its own compelling storyline. And it was one of those stories (like Logan) which was a very basic story with enough complexities within the script and action to make it fresh, emotional, tense, and exciting.

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The decidedly mediocre Despicable Me 3 has already made 3x its production budget worldwide. Transformers is only at 2x budget worldwide after 14 days of release. The virtues of sequel budget control, although for Transformers the only selling point is the high end, bombastic, relentless visual effects, which doesn't come cheap.

GregMcP likes this.
  9. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    I qualify this 'review' as an unashamedly massive Spidey fan, and the verdict, pun absolutely intended, amazing.

Everything that makes Spidey to my mind the greatest character in fiction is encapsulated in this movie.

They capture the essence of Peter so well and that's always been the central appeal of the character. Bruce Wayne is an act, Batman is who he really is. Peter Parker is the essence of the Spidey mythology.

Great fun, funny, dramatic and the youngsters will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Surely we are approaching the stage where you can tell an AI, "Here are some robot models and a city. Make them fight for 30 minutes", and press Enter and let it make you a fight sequence.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Two weekends in a row with big budget movies that are over 90% RT score is pretty huge. SMHC and WOTPOTA.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I always come to this thread and get confused by initials for movies....

TK327 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    You don't know about Shaking My Head Comically, the sequel to The Emoji Movie?

Guidman and Lee_ like this.
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I love WOTPOTA.

15. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    You just have to FRTTR the MCNOR and look up the CNCHDMO number for the DOOMMM movies and you'll be WEINFO.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    :confused:

yassir.khan likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The DBO/GBO ratio of SMH relative to WW, other MCUFMs and the last SMR should be noteworthy. RT and MC for SMH are very comparable to WW.

yassir.khan and Lee_ like this.
  18. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Rylo Ken

What OD and OW we can expect for SMH based on its Thursday?

Excellent movie, BTW. Smaller scale which was so freakin good!

yassir.khan likes this.
  19. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Call me crazy but I still think SMH is going over $125 this weekend (wouldn't be surprised at all in the $135-140 range). Those studio estimates and tracking numbers seem to be an extreme lowball number. I understand this is the third reboot in 15 years and hardly anyone knows who Tom Holland is but the reviews have been great, it's in the MCU and last but not least it's Spider-Man. Pretty much anyone who has seen says its great.

yassir.khan and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I agree with Guidman. After seeing the movie and reaction, this is breaking out. It's for the whole family but especially teenagers will lap it up cause Peter is a teenager (not played by a 30something) and high school is a big thing in the movie.

yassir.khan likes this.
  21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    $15.4 million last in Thursday previews. Spidey is easily going to be the third biggest opening of 2017.... could it even make a run at the second slot? Doubtful but possible at this point.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

also agree. I think it will exceed expectations.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It helps that it's one of the best Marvel films ever made. Seriously everyone needs to see it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Early reports from deadline and hollywoof reporter have Friday at 42-45m, quite a bit behind GotG 2's 56m. Those are just early numbers though, and they sound awfully low for such a preview number. Wouldn't be the first time deadline underestimates with the early numbers, maybe a 50m day is still doable with a really good evening. Makes topping GotG 2 for second best OW the year highly unlikely though.

25. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    So far or overall in 2017 including TLJ and Justice League for that matter?

3rd so far, without a doubt. No questions asked about that. Only three films have cracked $100 mill so far.

The big question is whether Spidey will beat WW and GOTG2 in overall domestic. Time will tell.Could be like how TFA brought SW back to the limelight. But I secretly still want WW to beat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.