main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Valerian's in deep deep trouble.

Apes3 is in extreme trouble too despite its outstanding reviews.

The box office has really fallen off a cliff lately.

And it looks like they've shown the Infinity Wars trailer at both D23 and SDCC with no intentions whatsoever of showing it to the public. Nice...

2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Valerian deserves to be in deep trouble.

It was gawd-awful.

nightangel likes this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The box office is doing just fine. One or two movies not meeting expectations is hardly a sign of trouble, especially when you are talking about movies that weren't expect to be huge anyway. Last weekend was basically identical with the same weekend from one year ago, this weekend could perhaps be a tad lower, but it's not going to be a huge difference.

There is a difference between a few noticeable starts falling short, and the entire boxoffice doing so. Sometimes studioes juest mess up the starting dates as well, leading to a lot of competition over a weekend, with little competition in the near future. I mean, why exactly was something like Valerian starting now anyway?
    August would have been a much better spot for it.

Dunkrik, Girls Trip, etc are doing just fine. Having less new starts would have been much better, especially with August hardly being full of big names.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Dunkirk and Girls Trip will likely have fantastic holds and will be in theaters for months. The only thing standing between Dunkirk and a best picture Oscar is the Academy voters not being able to remember anything that wasn't released in November or December.

I've seen Dunkirk twice already, first time I've wanted to do that since The Force Awakens. Finally, an action movie for grownups. Haven't seen one of those in ages.

Guidman and yassir.khan like this.
  5. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Thor Ragnarok looks insane and I'm loving it. Always loved the character. The first film was pretty good but the second was a jumbled mess.

Hopefully the third will be as good as the trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satipo likes this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Oissan

The numbers again are saying otherwise:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/16/superheroes-are-almost-single-handedly-saving-the-us-box-office.html

And keep in mind the numbers from 2016 were down from 2015. Face it. With the exception of 2012 and 2015, the box office this decade overall is really down. Pirating, streaming and frankly people losing interest in movies are really have the entire system teetering. The only saving it are the big tent movies lead by comic book films and kiddie flicks.

jedijax

Agreed about Infinity War footage but the trailer for Thor 3 sort of made up for it. It just looks fabulous. A buddy-buddy with Thor and Hulk. I am in. And Cate Blanchett just look bad a$$ as Hela.

In terms of Apes 3, again I think the American taste in film has tasted due to reality being really kind of messed up then it was compared to a few years ago. I think a dark truly brooding film about apes and humans fighting in a dystopian future is just not how people want to spend a few hours this summer even with fabulous reviews/WOM.

yassir.khan

Totally agree about Thor 3 though I am still not sure about Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie. Maybe it was because I have found her to be the weak link acting wise in both Creed and Westworld. Not that she is a bad actresses but felt like in both those circumstances, she is kinda got overrun by better actors/actresses. I don't think she will be bad in the part, just potentially misopportunity especially since Valkyrie not only a great character but also is taking over as Thor's love interest apparently which makes me very sad because that means no Natalie Portman and I find any excuse to watch her on screen. :)

But overall it look fabulous along with everything that came out at comic book. Ready Player One looks incredible! Ditto Stranger Things 2 (which btw comes out on my 10 year anniversary - I already joking that were simply going to spend the weekend watching that minus the kids, surprising my wife is not dead set against that idea LOL!), The Defenders, Westwood, etc. Even Justice League look a lot better then the previous one. I actually have semi hope for the film now that Josh is editing and has put together a pretty good trailer. And give them credit, it's a four minute trailer that as someone on YouTube mention, did not really give the plot away unless you are a comic book geek. And the Star Wars footage was just amazing......oh that is right, Lucasfilm thinks it's "beneath them" to send anything to comic con even though CC helped build the underground support for a ANH way back in 1976. Sorry but that is bites at me. I know in the end it doesn't matter but for Lucasfilm to simply thumb their noses at CC after all it's done for it, is simply pathetic. They could done a little something there. Nothing big but some type of show of respect would be argeeable. I really wonder what the heads at Lucasfilm are thinking sometimes.

As for the box office, Dunkirk off to a fabulous start along with Girls Trip (why?) while everything else doing what is expected except Apes 3 and Valerian. Both those films are in major trouble which is incredible considering the outstanding critics/WOM reviews Apes 3 got. Again just seems like the American appetite is no longer hungry for it.

yassir.khan likes this.
  7. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    valerien is a bomb. saw that coming when i saw the trailer before rogue one. if nothing else the CGI IS horrible

nightangel and Luke02 like this.
  8. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Spioderman Homecoming dropping way down another 50% despite good reviews. Apes3 dropping another 62% despite incredible reviews. Valerian, even if it was horrible, didn't even crack $20 million. Maybe the latter was expected but SM and Apes are really falling fast.

I would say that BatB, GOTG2, and WW have saved the box office this year so far. They are all tested (well WW not so much but people clung to it). I think perhaps the biggest issue is storytelling in general. What do people want is a mystery and it's no longer about mere visuals. Is it character development? I don't know. All I know is that the box office success falls within a certain circle and even that circle is getting smaller and smaller (look at Transformers and Pirates and now Apes) and those within that circle are not guaranteed successes. And what seems to be more disturbing is that nobody can break into that circle. It's becoming like the breakdown of wealth in this country.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    2016 had five $1 billion hits and all of them were Disney. 2017 will have three, with two of them Disney. No studio but Disney and Universal has produced a $1billion hit since 2014.

10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I don't understand how you can speed $200M+ on a movie when no one has ever said, "I need to see that new Dane DeHaan or Cara Delavingne movie." I know they guaranteed box office star has pretty much gone away but this movie was doomed from the start.

nightangel likes this.
  11. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i dont like talking about overall box office being down cause it seems were already making excuses if TLJ doesnt live to expectatoins (for me about 1.5 billion overall, halfway between rogue one and the force awakens0

i thought valerian would flop from the moment i saw the trailer attached to rogue one. in fact all of those trailers sucked. they made me long for warcraft and batman vs superman trailers from TFA they were so bad.

can we figure that maybe box office is down because quality of movies are down?

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Spidey is still over $250 million domestically and relatively speaking I think both Marvel and Sony are just fine with that at this point. I don't think despite it all had truly huge box office expectations for it knowing how much the character has been used and recycled the past 10 years. I think they are surprised how fast it got out of the gate and how fast it kinda dropped but not in the final overall numbers. Crazy as it sounds, it's already the 10th highest grossing MCU movie ever and will move into the Top Ten shortly. Again all things being equal I don't think Marvel and Sony are too upset. They both got what they needed out of it. Sony desperately needed a hit that was well received while Marvel was able to engrain Spider Man more into their universe as he is going to play such a important part moving forward. It was win-win for both sides.

Apes 3 though is jumping off a cliff while Valerian is the bomb we all expected. And outside of Dunkirk and the remaining players on the board, I think the box office is just continue being a wasteland this summer since sorry, I am still not feeling The Dark Tower while it's stuff like The Emoji Movie coming out which is getting zero traction. IDK maybe Atomic Blonde can be a bit of a surprise and put a decent charge in the ball. It's getting good reviews so far so perhaps it help turn the tide. Maybe it along with Dunkirk and Girls Trip can kinda make up for all the duds going off.

In terms of your overall thought process, I just think the way people get content now via streaming which is so individualized that allows for everyone to get what they want without them leaving their home as truly cripple the movie business. I see it my students all the time now. 5-7 years ago it seem like all of them went to the movies. I remember when I went to see the midnight showings of HP 8 and TDKR that it was 3/4 teenagers/young people including many of my students. Remember back then they literally had like 2:00 or even 3:00 AM showings there because kids wanted to stay out really late and go see a flick. Now? Nope. It all change. I see over half my students now do not even go to the movies anymore. They rather sit at home and watch something on Netflix on their I-Pad and not be bothered. They seem more into TV shows then movies as well because of streaming. I think a lot of age groups are going that way. Again I even see it with myself. We use the excuse of the kids as a reason we don't go to the movies as much but really it is more due lack of interest for many of these films. Outside of the big ones, I can wait now.

And something we also talk about? Price. Let's face it, the cost benefits of getting a couple subscriptions like Netflix and Hulu instead of going to the movies is so cost effective it's laughable. Plus too people have great theaters at home so why go spend upwards of $50 plus bucks when you factor everything to see a movie when you press a button and watch it for $6.99 (or less) at home a few months later or see it perhaps one of your paid channels/subscriptions. As my buddy said, Netflix is the greatest bargain in history especially for parents. Just to take my boys and wife to see a Early Bird showing of something on a Saturday is around $40 ($25 for tickets, $9 to fill up the refillable popcorn and soda along with about $6-7 wotth of smuggled food/drink items). That is literally like four months worth of Netflix and I am lucky. Both of our parents along with my brother/sister-in-law which watch Little Miss for a few hours at no expense and the boys are only seven so they are not quite eating me out of house and home but they are getting there. Eventually when she is hold enough and we go off to go see something at the movies, we are looking at $75+ easily for a Early Bird showing! Again it gets to the point where is just better to stay at home and wait a few months.

13. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    ill plop home 200 dollars per ticket if i have to to see star wars at least once in the theatre. thats been born into me since dec 1982 and i dont see it going away.

all this other junk thats come out 'eh. ........i probably wont even see it on video or netflix cause nothing is even remotely interesting to me. my second favorite move last year was 'the shallows' for cryin out loud.

but i hardly think im the norm when it comes to this. sure i dont care about marvel or dc or harry potter or any of that mind numbing nonsense....but tons of others lap it up. and they would say the same about us. we love this 'junk'.

14. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, the world is not the same anymore. In the end there will be only Disney and Nolan left. And Kid Rock in the Senate. :(

15. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Don`t worry. The Emoji Movie is coming out soon and will save us all.
    And then its only four and a half month til TLJ comes out.

Dunkirk was really "Pure Cinema "or "Cinema Pur`". I think Nolan`s film has more in common with filmmakers like Chris Marker, Robert Flaherty ( documentary ) and Terrence Malick and Andrei Tarkovsky, using the basics of filmmaking - motion, visual composition and rhythm. Hans Zimmer is a very important component of course. I thought it was almost too much of Zimmer in Dunkirk at times, but then comes the moment of complete silence, and then you understand why it has to be like that.

I think the US opening at $ 50 mill is superb when you consider its an avant garde WW2 action movie with the focus being on the British soldiers. Nolan is a star director for sure.

Btw. Anyone did see Valerian and found any joy with it? It opens where i live next week.
    Its a good year for sci - fi either way, we also have Blade Runner 2 with Harrison returning soon!

Gigoran Monk, Rylo Ken and Luke02 like this.
  16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    50 million is huge for dunkirk.

i mean no one is epecting it to put up marvel or sw type numbers.

17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The trailer for Dunkirk played when I went to see Spidey. It does look quite good and I do like Tom Hardy, but I'm still leaning towards just waiting till it comes to Netflix or something.

18. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    No no....seriously, Dunkirk must be seen in the cinema.

Btw Tom Hardy for James Bond anyone? I canĀ“t see Daniel Craig as Bond if Nolan takes over. Not his sort of actor.

Rylo Ken and starfish like this.
  19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    craig dropped out of bond like 2 years ago.

20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    So the IW trailer leaked online but will soon be taken down. Looks all over the place. Hope this doesn't turn into a Marvel version of BvS. But I have a feeling it will be officially released to the public tomorrow to avoid having to deal with all the leaks which is a headache. Might as well just get it out there and be done with it. Those attending both D23 and SDCC have already seen it anyway.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Othini

Blade Runner 2049 is one of my few remaining movies on my list this year:

- Dunkirk (seeing it Tuesday afternoon, cannot wait!)
    - Blade Runner 2049
    - Thor 3
    - Justice League
    - The Disaster Artist
    - The Last Jedi

And The Disaster Artist is a movie that I would really really like to see in the theater but it isn't a must like the others. Most likely I will get to it somehow considering it only comes out a few short weeks before my break. I can see out for a few hours...*fingers crossed*

Don't know anyone who seen Valerian is but the split on RT is 54/59. Ouch.

Looking at Dunkirk's numbers this weekend, I think WB could not be thrilled especially those type of movies have a slower burn since older crowds are okay seeing a film down the road.

22. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    did dinkirk take like 300 million to make?

this is not something thats gonna rival DC or SW or justice marvel were talking about. its set up to be an oscar conender.

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    You are probably correct. I just don't go to the movies very often, especially in the summer. And I already saw spider man which was a lot of fun.

But I may go, if there's a really hot day and I'm looking for some air conditioning for a few hours. It is an amazing event in history with all the civilian boats sailing to aid the soldiers.

Othini likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Last night at Apes 3, I saw the extended trailer on the big screen for Blade Runner- wow, we are in for it if this movie is as good as the trailer.

25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Unless Justice League (another movie featuring the Wonder Woman character) passes Wonder Woman the solo movie, the top 3 most successful movies at the box office domestically released in 2017 could be female fronted movies.

1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    2) Beauty and the Beast
    3) Wonder Woman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.