main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Saw the Blade Runner trailer in front of Dunkirk. Visuals and music cues tap into the nostalgia, but it doesn't tell us much about plot. Replicants something something Decker.

Othini likes this.
  2. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    I think Blade Runner 2049 will "bomb" like Valerian.........................okay maybe not that much.

But the movie is rated r and has a $200+ million budget and I doubt it will make more than $400 million WW.

3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Blade Runner's marketing needs to aim at something besides the 'core Blade Runner fan base', because that fan base isn't very big. I'll be there when it opens because I see Denis Villeneuve movies there, but that's not most people.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Blade Runner will do okay, if the movie succeeds it will be because of the international box office. Warcarft bombed in the NA box office, but thank the maker that the international market kicked in. Same thing with The Mummy. Just because a movie bombs domestically doesn't mean that it will bomb internationally. Fast 8 was not great in the domestic box office, but the international one was a monster. In fact, its straight up the only movie this year to cross the billion dollars alone in the international box office. Domestically it made just around what? $225 million? Internationally its made $1.013 billion.

In other news, I'm hoping that TLJ gets better international marketing so that latin America and Asia, especially China can kick the dollars up.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    @fastcooljosh

Valerian may have had a slow start in the states but wait for the worldwide receipts "it will be no bomb".........

6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Truth be told, SW just isn't popular in China. Both TFA and R1 underperformed there.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I don't think it underperforms exactly, more like it simply isn't very popular in China for whatever reason. I think a bigger marketing push could help but I honestly don't think Star Wars will ever get a truly strong foothold in China even compare to even other places in Asia like Japan where TFA was the #1 movie of 2015 there.

Be interesting to see how the box office shapes up the next few weeks. It seems like it's about to get very quiet very soon here. Dog days of summer.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. CloneWarBrent

CloneWarBrent Jedi Master

May 25, 2005
    I rarely go to a theater to see a movie, costs to much. Before today, the last one I saw was Rogue One in Dec. But I've been looking forward to Dunkirk for a while, so I went to see it today.

Dunkirk is an absolute must-see in the theater. It will be a good movie no matter what format you see it in, but it is incredible on the big screen. I can't think of any movie to compare it to. Lots of action, suspense and intensity with very little dialogue, and you only even learn the name of a couple of characters, but it is no mindless summer popcorn flick. It has to be seen to be understood. Do what you want, but you will honestly be missing out if you don't see it in the theater.

Othini likes this.
  9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup. And please give Nolan a Star Wars spinoff.

Vasco_Rojo likes this.
  10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think that the international markets will save Valerian. There are a few markets where it might run decently, but nothing where it really succeeds. It might have a hard time matching the production costs with its WW total, and that doesn't even take into consideration that much of that money doesn't go to the studio.

I wouldn't expect Blade Runner to be all that huge either. It was hardly a big hit back in the days, more of a sleeper hit in certain circles. It could do decently, but I don't see any market that will explode. Warcraft did extremely well in China, but that movie is based on a very popular game-series that was played around the world, something like Blade Runner doesn't really have anything that could lead to similar interest.

11. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I had high hopes for Valerian, but trailers already left me heavy disappointed. Bad dynamic between the 2 main protagonists. Didn't watch the movie yet and may wait for pay tv to watch it. [face_sigh]

12. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Its just a myth that Valerian is big in Europe. Very few people reads physical comics these days and Valerian is more like a cult thing, barely visible to a casual audience for decades. The budget should have been sliced down to the half of that reported $ 180 mill. Tin Tin made some good money overseas and is well known, but it tanked in the US and i guess that is the reason the Peter Jackson / Spielberg sequel is in limbo or just canceled.

There are stories about George Lucas being very influenced by Valerian for Star Wars of course - i doubt he would have invested in a Valerian movie now though, George is not a bad businessman you know...

I would have thought a sequel to The Fifth Element would have done much better business, a lot of people know this movie, its often on tv etc.

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah. Just call it "The Sixth Element" and you've already made your money back. :)

Othini likes this.
  14. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Box office related and Justice League is the last big movie to open this year before TLJ.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-reshoots-1202502433/

$ 25 mill for reshoots is a lot, but it might be worth it if Zach Snyder left behind him a mess ( i know he did withdraw because of tragic family situation). The trailer shown has some seriously bad CGI moments and its quite obvious now i think that Wonder Woman will have the best lines in the movie. Especially since that trailer had this....eh...memorable one liner:

[​IMG]

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Justice League trailer is horrifying, highlighting terrible production design, horrible casting choices, miserable dialogue, little hint of plot, and a barrage of worn out action tropes. If feel even worse for DC fans than I felt for Wrinkle In Time fans when I saw the latest trailer for that. And that trailer made me feel miserable on behalf of the book, its late author and several generations of readers. Rogue One may have been "saved," commercially speaking at least, with reshoots, but Justice League looks like a project beyond salvage.

Othini likes this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Btw, I'd say it looks almost certain that WW will actually break $400 million at the domestic box office. The multiplier will end up being close to 4.0X and will have a higher multiplier than TFA, The Dark Knight and even the original Spiderman. Incredible!!!

Disney should make an "Adventures of Mereida" live action trilogy that features Mereida on a journey to saving her kingdom from something somewhere.

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    When I saw War For The Planet of the Apes last week, there was a big group of young women there for Wonder Woman.

18. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread: 3 biggest movie of the year will have a female protagonist. Oh, that was MagnarTheGreat.
    Mereida who? From "Brave" you mean jedijax.

Also the idea someone brought up with making a Young Leia film ( early teen years ) with Milli Bobby Brown from Stranger Things. Great idea. Vader could be in it too. Sneak in the biggest villain in movie history again.

Think of all the potential when females of all age groups can claim the starring roles in those big blockbusters again. Like to see a 45 year old female superhero. Why not? Refreshing to see Robyn Wright and Connie Nielsen, middle aged women having large, important and action oriented roles in Wonder Woman.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Othini

Anything would be better then Valerian especially a Fifth Element sequel. As you mention, it is on the TV all the time, has been on Netflix, now is OnDemand as a free movie via Comcast etc. Plus too it's the twenty anniversary of The Fifth Element. What a perfect time to come out with it. But regrettably Luc decided to make Valerian and now is looking at the biggest box office flop ever for a independent movie. It was sixth at the box office yesterday. Both Spidey and DM 3 beat it even though those have been out for awhile now. Ouch.

I read that about JL and for once I found the idea of massive reshoots comforting. I am not a huge Wheldon fan but the fact he is going back to help fix the dialogue and make the story flow better is a welcome sign. I actually this last trailer look a lot better then the previous one did in the spring. And again I give them credit. Four minutes of footage and not a hint at what the true plot is (though if you read comics you have a pretty good idea what it will be). That is pretty well together if you ask me. And so far, the response to the this JL trailer is pretty good. Just it cannot hold a candle to the other trailers we got this past weekend. Thor 3 second trailer might been better then the first one (which btw was a better trailer then TLJ teaser trailer), Ready Player One look great and the two Netflix trailers (The Defenders and Stranger Things 2) look fabulous!

Saw Dunkirk today. Was bleeping epic! Many are saying that is the best war movie made this century and it's kinda argue against it. I think it's better then The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty, Hacksaw Ridge, Enemy at the Gate (very underrated movie btw even though they took some major liberties) etc. That all said, it might be like how I felt about American Sniper, The Passion of the Christ and Schindler's List. I do not know if I can sit through the whole movie again. I was too horrified to really want to sit through again...at least in it's entirely. Watching those poor kids just get slaughter is rightfully too much to watch really again. At least not for awhile. But yeah what a incredible movie. Deserve all the kudos it's getting any more. Really was not weakness to the movie. Even the cheesy Nolan ending I liked LOL!

And Gary Oldman as Churchill during this time in a movie coming in November? Take my money now!

Othini likes this.
  20. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Luke02 Not a big fan of Joss Whedon too, his directing is very dynamic though - and his is good with snappy dialogue.
    His is not very sophisticated cinematically though.

Hang on: We have one more flop this summer. Dark Tower. My heart beats for a good Stephen King adaption, but my brain says no.

Still have a better taste in my mouth this summer. Remember last year? Ghostbusters and that awful ID4 sequel. And we had to deal with reports of Rogue One being in trouble.

21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yes Mereida from Brave. She's pretty cool. Just got it on BR for our daughter, rounding out all of the princess movies and building our massive Disney animated collection. Celtic warrior type in a cool backdrop aimed for pre-teens and teens but somewhat appropriate for younger ones too. Could be a good idea.

Just looked up that Milli Bobby Brown you mentioned and WOW what a doppleganger for a young Leia. My wife had mentioned the idea of making a Leia movie where she's a double agent posing as a Senator but being part of the alliance. Not a bad idea at all. They could even make it a double story and have a young Luke too. And yet another appearance for Vader!

But....WW hitting $400 million domestically by the end of the summer? It's gonna happen folks. Wow, oh wow!!!

Oh and I could not even recognize Oldman as Churchill. They can do anything these days, can't they???!?!!?

22. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The only comics that are truly big in Europe are Disney cartoon comics, mostly Donald Duck.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Othini

One thing Zach does to the point of exhustion is try to be cinematically poetic. Perhaps with Zach actually shooting the film but Joss giving it a face lift, it will work well! *fingers crossed*

Summer of 2016 was all about the kiddie flicks. Jungle Book, Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets all did MONSTER business and were all critically acclaimed. Outside of that last summer was a dud outside of Civil War. Rest was pretty much junk though I thought Star Trek Beyond was pretty good and should done better at the box office (think Star Wars really has done in Star Trek bad now that it's back). But overall last summer was pretty brutal outside of those kiddie flicks and Civil War. This summer so far as produce GOTG 2, Wonder Woman, Spidey, Baby Driver (sleep kinda hit) and now Dunkirk as some darn good movies that are doing well overall at the box office. That is a mark improvement over last year even with the many duds of this year already. And I agree. Dark Tower is just screaming bomb though it could be saved by one thing: the budget cost. It is only $60 million. Therefore if it only does $60 million here and times two internationally, it make a small profit even if does around $200 million worldwide. But it doesn't look like it will be a "hit" in general terms and fans are already getting nervous about it highlighted by the fact the running time is only 95 minutes long. Yes I know Dunkirk was about the same but keep in mind, Dunkirk was a film where the action and really the music told the tale. You really did not know much about any of the characters in it as you rooted for them by the uniform they were wearing (and their actions). Dark Tower though as a huge backstory they need to explain along with actually explaining the movie. How in the world they going to get all that done in 95 minutes? Again some fans of the series are already getting nervous about it.

jedijax

Supposedly Gary lobbied really hard for the part as it was something he always wanted to do. He also spent over 200 hours getting makeup applied over the course of filmming:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/gary-ol...ie-darkest-hour-make-up-cinemacon-1202055102/

Also the Russo Brothers apparently have their eyes set on their next film project after they finish the two Infinity War films:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/joe-rus...gers-infinity-war-captain-america-1202135521/

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
  25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Wonder Woman 2 is now scheduled for December 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.