main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    No prob. (Same author is writing the TLJ junior novel as well).

Xander Vos likes this.
  2. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    [Redacted]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that one of the archaic meanings of the word "aspect" was "a glance; gaze" - I think it's highly plausible that it will turn out to be "space Latin" for Order Of the Terrible Glare.

"Space Latin" in this case being, as previously mentioned, High Galactic, Atrisian Basic, or something similar:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    No Order of the Terrible Glare, alas. With this much going on in the story, I found it was stronger/better to try and support/enrich/deepen what we were seeing. In less than two weeks everyone gets to tell me how I did!

Speaking of that, if you haven't preordered, this link will throw a little extra support in the direction of the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage Fund, a cause dear to your author's heart....

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jason- do you sign books via mail? Unless you're coming out to the Silicon Valley Comic Con or something in CA, I'm interested in getting this book signed once it comes out! If we send to you with a pre-paid postage return, do you sign via mail? :)

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The big dream hope I'm pinning on the novelization is that we get at least one title for the Jedi books in Luke's tree.

7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I sometimes wonder if Rey looked them over and discovered they were basically editions of The Hyperspace Route Guide to Jedi Temples and Watchhouses for the GFFA equivalent of the years 1953-1961. Hey Luke: Good job, good effort.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I should mention that I'm in academia and this is the sort of niche primary source that really excites grad students. Rey could write a really fresh doctoral dissertation at the University of Ruuria with this. (One of my close friends in grad school wrote her dissertation on distribution of different editions of the Book of Common Prayer in 17th century England, which seems like a pretty good equivalent of an Essential Guide to 1950s Jedi Hyperspace Routes.)

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Luke Skywalker, proud recipient of a participation trophy
    [​IMG]

10. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Bloody hell!

I mean, I know Pablo will get mercilessly hounded for this, but seeing as the TLJ novel has had direct input from Rian Johnson, I'm guessing its completely canon?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Assuming that article isn't full of crap, and that line is not a red herring, I think they'll probably leave "who" it is open ended. Don't want to limit other authors too much.

TheRedBlade and DarthSienna like this.
  13. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It will likely be left to Marvel and Del Rey to fill in that story if that is infact true. If it is true that would really go a long way in explaining his depressed state in the movie

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I'm willing to bet that the theory in the article is most likely: it's not real, just Luke seeing different possibilities in the Force.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I bet that is what it turns out to be as well. He is just envisioning what his life could have been like.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    No novelization is completely canon in that sense; they're all adaptations of the story, so inconsistencies with the film are bound to happen. Lucas made notes on Stover's draft of the ROTS novel, I believe, but it was still in the same boat of "canon where it doesn't contradict the films".

18. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Heavy spoiler reply regarding the above spoiler/leak
    It appears to be along the lines of a dream sequence/alternate reality and does not appear to indicate such a character actually existed in storyline canon

Though if that's a deleted scene from TLJ, and it was supposed to be in the movie, Rian apparently really wanted to kriff with fans and spark some real nerd rage :p

TheRedBlade likes this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    When you are dealing with limited time like movies have you have to begin deciding what is truly needed to tell the story. Even though some fans would have liked to get background on Luke's past it wasn't really needed to tell the story. The only background info that was needed was the stuff between Luke and Kylo.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I meant in a "could you imagine if the movie had an early scene with Luke reminiscing about said character only for it to be a dream sequence?" The outrage would have been legendary

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    People in the audience: 'Ha Ha my Rey theory was right...............WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  22. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Obligatory post to say that leaks suck, and peace out of this thread until the book actually comes out.

And come on, fansites, writing an article based on a leak???

23. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    based on a leak out of context

TheRedBlade likes this.
  24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well it looks like the supposed divide in the fan base that the movie brought definitely isn't hurting the sales for the novelization. Still over a week to go until release and it is already nearing the top 100 on amazon (the list that includes all books). Should be at or near the top once release day comes.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd expect the book to replicate the schism of viewpoint over TLJ, but to greater degree and along the same lines: If you liked TLJ, this'll likely enhance it for you; if you didn't like TLJ, it'll also boost the negativity.

Choose your side. [face_devil]

Vialco, kalzeth and Sinrebirth like this.