main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I take it you weren't a fan of the film, Ben?

We agree that Jason knocks it out of the park in terms of his character POV's. I'm still in awe of the Ackbar one, it's only a few pages long but it encapsulates all of the aspects that make this character great. Hux was fantastically written too, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You might enjoy my initial monster post about it Nick:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...mors-spoilers.50038540/page-202#post-54754606

If this story didn't have Luke, Han and Leia in it, if it were say 100 years later, I'd probably enjoy it far more.

Jason does what he can, but Hux remains, for me, Evil Weasley.

Padme501st likes this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    While I obviously disagree with a lot of that, I respect your opinion and respect you even more for giving the novelization a chance. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    By the time I get and read my copy this thread will probably be down on page 3..

Giovs likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Weird that Amazon is taking so long on your copy Laj.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think it's because I had other books in the order. However, since the order is coming in two parts now I'm surprised it wasn't in the first part - unless they are sold out of it. Normally you get an email about a delay if that's the case though.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's just that I got my copy from there too and it arrived fast. Maybe they did get a spike of orders?

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, you should have made sure it was the...First Order. Pun intended... :p

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I waited to see if my local Waterstones had it earlier this week when I was in town. When they didn't I put the order in online.

Giovs and PCCViking like this.
  10. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Just finished the audiobook. I love about a million things that it'll take some time to unpack. (But I ESPECIALLY loved the early First Order stuff; Cannady, Hux in the turbolift etc was all gold) One thing that had slightly bugged me before which I *really* appreciated though was the seamless blending of the Leia: Princess of Alderaan Crait material with the Marvel one-shot Crait stuff. They were sort of hard to reconcile with one another before, but here it's not only done casually but pays off in that great scene with Leia instructing the others in how to use the ski speeders!

11. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Originally I've pre-ordered from Amazon Brazil, they usually get the book the next day it's released in the US, but alas... that was not the case with The Last Jedi, so I've ordered from Amazon US in the morning of march 7th, and nothing so far. I'ts been awhile since I've ordered something from Amazon US, but they used to ship my order in one day. I've heard the delay may have something to do with Amazon prioritizing Prime members or something.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Also from Brazil, but i will wait the Brazil version, will be release on march 26.

Giovs likes this.
  13. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I think it's great Brazillian fans are getting a Portuguese translation of the book so soon after the original release. I mean, look at the Aftermath Trilogy, Empire's End hasn't been released here yet! But I'm glad Aleph is releasing the translated Star Wars novels so fans around here can enjoy the larger Star Wars Universe beyond the movies and animated series.
    But me? I always prefer to read the books in english. It's good practice (to tell you the truth, if I can speak english today, I owe that to Star Wars :p), and I like to read them in their original language.

14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Me too, bought LOLS from Amazon BR, the question it's the price, for me worth it buy the english version of LOLS, but TLJ, the BR version have a good price.

Giovs likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finished the book today. It was wonderful -- I sort of wish I could have read it even slower, but I was torn between wanting to savor it and wanting to discuss it without the risk of spoiling myself.

I think the strength of this book is the POVs. Like Rogue One, getting into the heads of the characters helped me with some of the plotlines that were subject to much debating after the film. The Finn/Rose plotline is the weakest in the film despite featuring Canto Bight (obvious interest) and despite Rose being such a good character that KMT sells. I suspect the reason for this weakness lies in editing -- the film was long, there were things cut, and I think some of the things that were cut would've really helped that plotline because it was all about character development. The novel had room to get into it, and really make explicit what you might've had to think about or watch the film a couple times to get about Finn/Rose: that Finn needed to grow from being interested only in saving Rey to someone who was actually committed to the fight. It was also great for Rose insofar as it tied right into Cobalt Squadron and Bomber Command (from what I've heard, I still need to read both.... so much Star Wars) and showed Rose growing to becoming a hero in her own right instead of just hearing about them from her sister.

Oh, and having Poe's POV helped with the whole mutiny thing. It's again, something that is present in the film and you can pick up on... but maybe only if you had the context from other Poe stories in mind. The book makes it clear what's going on in Poe's head and why he did what he did. And while he's still (in my view) still utterly in the wrong, you can see exactly where he's coming from. I only wish that we had some more Amilyn POVs but Jason's said that the reason we didn't is because he wanted to preserve the film's revelation about her plan. There were some nice Leia: Princess of Alderaan tie-ins, which I appreciated.

Other than these POVs, I really liked the fact that the narrative let us see a lot of minor POVs. The droid POVs were hilarious. The old fogey Imperials in the First Order were fantastic, and I particularly enjoyed their disdain for Hux. Actually, disdain for Hux was a general theme in this book from practically every POV but his own and this was all worth the cost of entry to see on one hand, Hux's utterly delusional POV and the other hand, everyone laughing at his prancing antics.

There's some great Force stuff about the living vs cosmic force, a discussion of attachment and Luke's philosophy on that old Jedi prohibition that reminds me of discussions we've had in Lit, stuff on the future and destiny that reminds me of Greek mythology and prophecy, and some discourses on the state of the NR and the state of the FO. I particularly enjoyed this passage on Snoke musing that nobody would've imagined him being the leader of the First Order, not just because of the continuity (although I love a good RAE SLOANE namedrop), but because it's so meta.

Oh and naturally yes, I enjoyed every bit of Canto Bight and the Libertine yacht.

I highlighted a lot of passages in this book for either being funny, clever, or attacks on feelings.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Just picked my copy up from Sainsburys. £9.99 so very respectful. Knew it would be worth waiting for a supermarket release for this.

Only just started, but man, what a prologue!

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So very true.
    The idea that Black One's computer is a prima donna pain in the arse was brilliant.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If I see it at my Sainsburys tomorrow I might be tempted to buy it and cancel the one on order from Amazon - assuming that order hasn't shipped yet.

Jedi Ben and Endol like this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Now that I've bought it this morning, and read it - I thought there was a great shout-out to A. C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy. Just a single small reference - but I liked it.

Wonga winga cingee wooze, which of these do I choose.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Sarn Shild in his final moments.

Nom von Anor and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    My book is finally on it's way!

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For those who've read it: Am I alone in thinking that

the secrets of the Unknown Regions that Snoke held and blocked Luke from will come into play in a big way in ep 9?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Threepio was also a stand-out favorite too. And the Falcon.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    This novel made me despise Rose even more than I already did.

Hypatia, cwustudent, Vialco and 2 others like this.
  25. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I feel sorry for Kelly but yeah, her character is too abusive to Finn and treat him like an idiot