main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's really not a fair description.

Explanations certainly, but they're quite a bit more considered than to merit being classed as "half assed".

TheRedBlade likes this.
  2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Have you met Star Wars fans? Lol. That kind of logic has no place in contemporary Star Wars fandom criticism.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jozgar likes this.
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    They were talking about Luke, not Kylo, though.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's please stay away from personal commentary and attacks, whether directed at fellow fans, fellow users, or authors. Find another, civil, way to make your points and/or criticisms.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you for that as that's always how I've viewed Star Wars too! :)

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It's a very small thing, and this isn't Jason's fault as it has been established already in some of the earlier material (Maybe the Visual Dictionary?) but.... I am unreasonably irritated by the confirmation that Ahch-To actually has two suns. When watching the movie, I really really liked the fact that we only ever (I think?) see it from Luke's point of view at the very end, and the scene is deliberately ambiguous as to whether Luke was actually watching two suns set or he was remembering Tatooine, so long ago. I wish that ambiguity could have been preserved in print.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    @jasonfry As a language nerd, there's this minor detail (insignificant in the grand scheme of things) that I have to ask you about... I see you identified the script used on the Millennium Falcon's escape pod ("Property of Han Solo") as Clynese. Yay! I first saw a full key mapping of the script in the Art of the Last Jedi book, where Rian Johnson speculated that it might have been Corellian. So, my question is: why did you come up with the name "Clynese" instead? Is this a reference to anything? Did you perhaps specifically avoid making it Corellian in case something different comes up in the Solo movie?
    (Oh, and BTW, I did enjoy the whole book very much. But with you, it was a given. :) )

TheRedBlade likes this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I saw that as working by Luke not having noticed, or realized the significance, of being on a planet with twin suns until his enlightenment. Essentially, in his depression he hasn't been able to appreciate a good sunset. I think the book helps this, because the twin suns are mentioned in a pretty off-hand way a few times before the end scene, at which point his consciousness expands to understand the importance of the natural cycle around him. I think Jason did a beautiful job taking the way the Force is presented in Rey's "reach out" scene and applying it to the last scene.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Probably because of the artist, James Clyne. Though I also wish it had been Corellian as they brainstormed.

DarthSienna and TheRedBlade like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    D'Oh, of course! How could that have eluded me?

EDIT: Even more foolish of me, the code name of the picture in the art book is CLYNE-ESE 01B. Boy have I been thick on that one.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    How's the audio version of the book? Do they use the same sound effects from the movie or new/different ones?

13. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It's quite good, although it doesn't use bits of TLJ score as I was hoping that it would. The sound effects are pretty similar to most SW audiobooks now - the one definitely new cue which I noticed was the porgs.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Clynese came from the script. I didn't figure out it was an in-joke until later. Maybe some enterprising writer will make it a dialect of Corellian or something.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Nevertheless, she persisted.

Nicely done.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

16. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Definitely picked up on this during my read, but I feel like this was a detriment to this plotline in the book. The book almost gives a malevolent air to Holdo that isn't present in the film. This makes sense since it is all from Poe's perspective and he's not a fan, but it makes it harder to reconcile this perspective with the reveal that she actually has a good plan. This works for me in the film due to the way Laura Dern plays her that I can't see her as an out and out villain, but the book make it almost seem that way.

Edit:

Just to clarify this was honestly my only real concern with the novelization as a a whole. I really enjoyed it overall.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ackbar's POV, a week later, still makes me a bit emotional. He's old, tired, a bit cranky, but nevertheless the same old Mon Cala who has devoted his life to serving the Galaxy. He devotion to the Republic, the Resistance, and to Leia personally are all shining hallmarks of his character.

I can't thanks @jasonfry enough for that scene, it made my year so far! [:D]

--Adm. Nick

Hypatia, Sinrebirth , jSarek and 2 others like this.
  18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm annoyed we don't learn where Snoke came from. At this point, who cares about spoilers. He's dead.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Learning more about Snoke may be relevant to IX (and I really hope it is), because it could tie into how he transformed Ben Solo into Kylo Ren and what the new Supreme Leader's main motivation is after the death of Luke, conquest of most of the New Republic, and destruction of most of the Resistance.

20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Since Jason had to work mostly from scripts without seeing the film itself, he might well have thought Holdo would come across as having a more malevolent air to her than Dern's performance ultimately presents. That's one of the hazards of novelization writing.

Hypatia and Link1130 like this.
  21. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I thought the Poe and Holdo storyline worked WAY better in the novelization. You really understand where Poe is coming from, since you see him helping to evacuate the other ships. But the revelation of Holdo's plan comes off better, because it's clear she had a plan the entire time and didn't just wing it.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That said "ram the Supremacy" wasn't part of it - the novelization makes it clear that it was a last moment improvisation that was only possible because Poe had programmed in a jump during the mutiny, and enough time had passed that the "jump point" was on the far side of the First Order fleet.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, the scene with Poe on the medical frigate Anodyne is great. It really helps explain his motivations and the way Jason handled the Poe/Holdo dynamic was spot on!

--Adm. Nick

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    any mention of Inferno Squad?

25. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Just a bit about Leia desperately hoping they might come in for a rescue. It's literally just a name drop, though.