main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi clarification thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Jan 12, 2018.

1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    When Snoke talks about Kylos equal in the light rising and says "Skywalker I assumed wrongly" does he mean he though Luke would get stronger or that Rey would be a Skywalker?

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    He just says that his equal would rise to meet him. Not that Luke would get stronger.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, he thought Luke would challenge Kylo.

4. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I wondered if they meant Luke or that he though another random Skywalker would rise

5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think you would need "a" Skywalker or "Skywalker's son/ daughter" for that to be the case.

Martoto77 likes this.
  6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Skywalker = Luke. They've been calling him that since TFA. They = the FO, and even Poe.

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As I understand, when Snoke tells that he already knew his equal in light would rise, he was talking about Rey.

Luke also knows this when he mention how the Force likes to balance itself, "powerful light, powerful darkness".

So Kylos's equal in the light is Rey.

"Skywalker, I assumed wrongly" as I understood happens when Snoke reads Rey's mind and discovers that Skywalker does not want anything to do with the Force anymore and will not rush to fight Snoke.

Snoke was assuming that by placing Kylo as a threat, Skywalker would be lured out of his hiding and try to fight him.

8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Well, Snoke says he thought it would be Luke, but instead the Force awakened in Rey and here she is to meet Kylo.

Martoto77 likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. He then continues referencing the singular "Skywalker" with references to now knowing his plan is to die on the island. Snoke assumed, wrongly, it would be Luke. Snoke would not have been assuming wrongly if he meant Rey and, yet, there she is to rise to meet the darkness.

10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That actually happens before the mind probe. At this point, Snoke now assumes that Rey has at least been trained by Luke to confront Kylo Ren as his equal, rather than meet him himself. It's only after the mind probe that he realises that Rey is a free agent and Luke is deliberately out of reach.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think whether Rey is a free agent or working with/ for Luke is separate from Rey being Kylo's equal in the light.

12. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Yeah. The one who would rise to meet him is Kylo's equal in the light. It's assumed to be Luke. Then Rey sent by Luke. And then just Rey by herself.

MarcJordan and Satipo like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    To give credit where it's due, Snoke was right to fear a Skywalker. He was killed by one.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why didn't the First Order send forces ahead to Crait so they'd be already lying in wait when the Resistance arrived?

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rey is essentially the ideal night-shift employee. Always ready to rise to meet the darkness.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke answered this himself when responding to Rey, about rushing out there and taking them all on with his laser sword. He felt it would not only be impossible but pointless. That the constant fight between the light and the dark was endless and repetitive without improvement to the galaxy.

Sarge and Satipo like this.
  17. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't agree with you on this point. I think at the end Luke did go out to do a Jedis duty the best way he could: he bought his sister and her allies time to escape certain death by sacrificing himself. This is the very essence of the hero and what it means to be a Jedi.

Martoto77, Satipo and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. Snoke made the mistake of thinking he completely owned Ben. When he sensed strength and resolve it was moments before Ben killed him.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Sarge and Martoto77 like this.
  19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Why haven't they built up the background to the ST?
    With so much either left unexplained or discarded what were they hoping to achieve with this movie?
    Even the Prequels had a purpose this feels like an attempt to end the trilogy when that shouldn't have been the case.
    Did they ever explain their reasons for this?

20. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Based on 2 movies and half of the TLJ novel (haven’t finished) the galaxy is at war, the First Order rose from the dark side. Snoke took advantage of disgruntled imperial personnel that weren’t happy w the post Endor state of play. Snoke, with unlimited wealth, imperial remnants and the grandson of Darth Vader make their move on the new republic. The resistance, led by General Leia Organa couldn’t muster the support she needed within the NR. Her warning of the dangers of the FO fell on deaf ears, so she creates the resistance to face head on this threat.

After the destruction go Hosnian Prime, the FO gain the upper hand and their impending take over of the galaxy is commencing and it’s swift.

Meanwhile, the Jedi are no where to be seen. It’s a mystery to the universe, but Luke is in exile due to his personal failure.

The force has emerged in Rey from Nowhere.

The saga will end with the force always course correcting itself and bringing peace and justice to the galaxy led by the Jedi and the resistance.

21. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    This is going to be the overlying message of this trilogy: Even though the cycle of light and dark, good and evil, prosperity, loss, war and peace is balance and we must not shy from it ever but turn our shoulders to the wheel and roll with it.

Not as thrilling as the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker but true in a Daoist sense, therefore always relevant to the human condition.

22. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Maz even pretty much spells it out for us in TFA:

"The only fight. Against the dark side. Through the ages, I've seen evil take many forms. The Sith. The Empire. Today, it is the First Order. Their shadow's spreading across the galaxy. We must face them. Fight them! All of us."

EDIT: That's actually one area where I think TLJ should have been more explicit. Part of Luke's motivation for staying out is that he recognizes this eternal cycle and the destructive consequences it has on the galaxy and that the Jedi play a role in perpetuating it. The Visual Dictionary states this, and RJ touches on it in the commentary track. But while you can infer this from what is actually in the film, it's not explicitly stated. I think it probably should have been.

Satipo and Sarge like this.
  23. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    1. The FO had no idea the Resistance was heading to Crait.
    2. The FO got info from DJ that the Resistance was evacuating in shuttles.
    3. The FO started picking off the shuttles one by one. They had no reason to believe they would not be successful in wiping them out.
    4. Holdo does her lightspeed move, throwing a wrench in the whole thing.
    5. The remaining Resistance shuttles reach Crait while the FO scrambles to get their troops together to head to the planet.

Where in that time frame should the FO send troops to Crait before the Resistance?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

Agreed. Luke’s reasoning is sound. And I think you could slot it in during lesson 1 perhaps. It may have been in the script and been cut TBH.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Luke’s reasoning is also that goodness and positive energy will always endure even if the Jedi (him) end. It doesn’t have to be in the form of the Force.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.