main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi - Deleted Scenes

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by redxavier, Dec 16, 2017.

1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Just a place to discuss what didn't make it into the final director's cut. There have already been indicators from Rian Johnson that he had a longer cut initially, and that whole sequences were cut out.

So what could these be? The trailers and behind the scenes are our usual go-to sources.

First of all, this shot of Rey running on Achto with lit sabre isn't in the film:
    [​IMG]

Finn never wears this pilot outfit in the film.
    [​IMG]

Chewbacca on the Raddus.
    [​IMG]

Finally (for now at least), there was this shot of Rey with her hood up[​IMG].

2. minion101

minion101 Jedi Master

Apr 16, 2015
    I think they should they should have deleted another 150 minutes and started again. Genuinely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, thank you. Now try a constructive comment, and leave the trolling snark at home.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    cripes , hadn't even thought of the deleted scenes .

presumably this one was finished as per the script , I mean there weren't any re-shoots like with R1 right ?

5. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    i'm wondering my self about these and hoping it's all on the dvd/Blue Rey :)p) when it release's.I don't want to have to wait for a year just for special Edite or some thing to see them.

6. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

I agree with you on this.

Im not sure how the deleted scenes can save this. Its not like scenes didnt make sense and left questions. They were just dumb all together. Maybe if a scene explained snoke better , showed the knights of renn, took out mary poppins then yea

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    read an interview with Johnson and he says there's loads of deleted scenes !

8. minion101

minion101 Jedi Master

Apr 16, 2015
    I wasn’t being snarky. I’m really devastated how much I disliked TLJ - nothing to do with ‘head canon’ - I was a young kid in 1977 and I’ve enjoyed all the Star Wars movies up to now. I just think this was a really bad script which resulted in a really bad movie. I really don’t want to see it again, I want to forget it ever happened and move on. I don’t have any interest in the deleted scenes, they can’t be any worse than what ended up on the screen. I’m not trolling, I’m a huge fan of Star Wars, but not this movie - sorry if you disagree. In fact I’m happy for those that like it, but I just don’t understand how they can?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Cleva, MS1, TK421124KT and 2 others like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    You're missing the point. If you want to discuss your feelings about the movie go to the review thread and have at it. This thread is for discussing the deleted scenes. If you have a constructive comment to make about the deleted scenes, positive or negative, then be our guest, but your original post wasn't constructive. It was just a swipe. Now, let's move on.

10. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    So it seems that from the Art of TLJ book that they had much more of the Caretakers on Achto. In the final film we only saw the nuns, but there were also males and they had a village on the island. It would appear that there's some sort of attack on the village and that perhaps Rey runs along the beach (as seen in trailers) to save them.

11. IG_Matey_8

IG_Matey_8 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2016
    I heard that there is an extra twenty minutes of footage for the 'I'll hold for General Hux' scene. ;)

12. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    An extended version of 3 hours? That would be cool :)

yanote likes this.
  13. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Simon Pegg was signed up as Unkar Plutt, wasn't he? Guessing the Rey parentage reveal may have actually been shown rather than told.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    all cut scenes with Luke please.

Talos of Atmora and GunganSlayer like this.
  15. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    The Knights of Ren and Kylo confronting Luke and Rey. Obviously Kylo Ren uses their connection to his advantage and eventually tracks her down, but they cut that because...............I guess Kylo couldn't actually see where Rey was so....Ugh. At least this movie would have had a legitimate lightsaber battle.

The bit with Finn in the pilot suit, I figured the movie would end on a note similar to Ep. II, war in the galaxy again and the NR to meet it. And Finn would be confident enough with his piloting skills to lead a squadron, but he only flies that speeder, so....Cut. Besides it's not as though the Resistance has anything TO fly anymore. And it's just as well. And apparently the NR is all but destroyed. Jeez.....

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Wasn't there talk of Finn being recognised on Canto Bight by someone from the FO?

My impression of the executioners was that these were a squad on Canto Bight and had more of a scene rather than just turning up for briefly for the time they did.

17. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Some more information from the folks at slashfilm. http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/2/

In summary (without too much spoiling):
    A party at the Caretaker village on the island
    Additional Canto Bight material with Finn and Rose sharing their stories
    Finn, Rose and DJ on the Supremacy
    Extra Phasma moment
    Finn and Poe catch up, at the beginning

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    More Canto Bight??? :oops:

Tabbie, vong333 and wobbits like this.
  19. Darth_Anxious

Darth_Anxious Jedi Master

Jan 16, 2005
    Interesting details about some of the deleted stuff: http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2017/12/details-about-some-last-jedi-deleted.html

From those I agree with the article and wish they had kept this scene, it adds to their backstory from the previous movie and gives a better pay off to their fight:
    "A group of stormtroopers corner Finn and he tries to get them on his side, saying that they can join him and escape Phasma’s grasp, just like he has. Finn says that she’s really a coward who sold out the codes to Starkiller Base. He pleads with the First Order squad to escape with him. The stormtroopers all look at each other…and in a moment borrowed from a Sergio Leone western, Phasma pulls out her blaster and guns down all six or seven stormtroopers herself before they have any time to react."

20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Anything with Leia??

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I saw the youtube video that said that close to 20 minutes of movie was cut. They will be included in the blue ray but not back into the movie. The video said that RJ explained that the movie we are seeing in theaters is the director's cut.

22. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    If I recall from the behind the scenes spy photos from Croatia, it seems like there was additional material on Canto Bight that didn't make it into the final film. Likewise, there did seem to be content filmed in Ireland revolving combat on Ach-To with Luke, Ridley, and I suppose Driver, and perhaps the Knights of Ren. I can't say for sure how legitimate that is, but it's what we've been led to believe for quite some time now. Weren't there also rumors of Rey fighting a sea creature? Was that true, and if so, was any of it filmed? The official behind the scenes video did have some shots of a water tank.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to buy the "Art of" book, so I don't know what possible clues it may have that may yield additional insight into deleted scenes.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  23. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    The caretaker party is confirmed in the Visual Dictionary. They have pictures of all the male caretakers, and explain how they arrive every so often to deliver fish and whatnot. The shot of Rey running with her lightsaber in the trailer is from this scene. The other stuff seem to be small moments and bits of dialogue excised for time.

24. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Hybrid Network [which are hit and miss with their content] on YouTube mentioned a Sith Ghost and some production notes or something about a visitation to Luke on Ach-To and something about a grand battle on the astral plane. But I only watched - no volume because I am at work.
    I'm totally fine with Sith Ghosts of some sort -- especially considering what I'm reading in "Legends of Luke Skywalker" and balance etc.
    Though seeing them on Ach-To seems like it would be harder to manifest themselves there.

Also -- this is helpful and interesting

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/

25. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017