main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi - Deleted Scenes

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by redxavier, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I love Luke's rationale for not intervening, and the idea that Rey herself is the hero she's looking for, not Luke. But I do think it probably works best without it. I think I'll keep it in my mind as a scene that took place though.

themoth likes this.
  2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    We can make theories/headcanons but it's too clear that Rian wanted them to be in a romantic way. Why he would use the word "sex"?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Rian Johnson: You’re a Reylo fan?"
    Her: "I am."
    Rian Johnson: "Oh that’s awesome! It’s all in the movie."

PendragonM and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  3. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Yeah I'm thinking the same. The light heartedness of the caretakers celebrating kind of doesn't fit in place with the overall mood of the island and what's going on between the characters. Kind of felt like the Ewok celebration in Rotj, and that of course was at the end of the movie, this was in the middle of the trilogy. I'll keep it in my mind as canon though.

4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I view the Luke scene with caretakers as the first in a trilogy of stepping stones for Luke. First, he realizes how much he means, awakening the old Luke. (Caretaker scene). Then, he contemplates, and decides to re-join the fight. (Heard this was in the novelization). Then he catches Rey with Kylo, and is flooded with reminders of this exact thing happening to him once before, Kylo and Snoke turning his students five years ago, and he can't handle it. Rey leaves.

Luke then clearly overcomes his guilt and trauma to do the only thing he could to help his friends. That trio of scenes really, REALLY would have helped with his arc in the final film to be honest. I can watch the movie easier now knowing that they occurred and were in the thought process behind the scenes, but it really would have helped to see all that.

5. Hutts Can't Run

Hutts Can't Run Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 1, 1999
    The reflection of Rey's lightsabre as she runs to the village... red? Only seen it on youtube rather than on bluray though, us 2nd class citizens in UK don't get it til next month!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014

Thats true, but i like how it breaks up the mood a bit to show that life is happening around them, while theyre in their own bubble of sorts. The island is portrayed in a desolate fashion in my opinion, and this scene would have adjusted that.

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    They may go the route of saying they have an emotional connection through the force and that connection creates personal feelings between the 2.

8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I wish they would have played it differently. I read the scene in the novelization before watching the deleted scene. When Luke laughs and says he didn't expect her to run so fast I imagined it as more of a warm laugh (like he's sorry). But in the deleted scene it was a laugh that was more indifferent to her feelings and kind of making fun of her.

In general I'm confused about why there is this guy jerk thing going on in TLJ. I can see where people are getting jerk Luke from, and especially since RJ was considering leaving in his slut shaming line to Rey about her opening herself to the dark side for a pair of pretty eyes.

Poe is a jerk to Holdo when he starts kicking things on the bridge and there's this subtle vibe of devaluing her.

Kylo's "you're nothing but not to me" line is a jerk thing to say.

Finn is the only one who isn't a jerk at any point.

9. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I really wish the extended fathier chase had been completed and put in the movie!! The full sequence is a lot of fun and makes Finn and Rose's story feel like a bigger adventure. The chase as it stands in the movie just isn't enough. This and the alternate Phasma confrontation 100% needed to be in this movie to give Finn's character the boost it needed.

The Caretaker party scene needed to be in there as well. Mark's performance in this sequence is some of his better acting IMO and yeah, Rey having another whine at him about not returning IS just repetition, but the scene is very much a better one than some we already got. It was also cool to see Chewie and Artoo partying with the Caretakers in a very ROTJ-esque way. People saying it was too light-hearted for the movie... well, I don't reckon it would have come across like that, especially with the other comedy moments in TLJ.

10. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Wasn't there a scene with Leia giving that Han/lando salute. Where would that clip taken place? With holdo and the transport departure?

11. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Not really sure why the Luke has a moment scene couldn't have been in the movie. It was an addition 30 seconds or so, but the cuts between him and Leia were great.

Thought the extended incursion with Tom Hardy was the worst of the deleted scenes. Just thought the whole bit with Tom Hardy (what was that accent) was just dumb on a lot of levels.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The deleted scenes are pretty solid mostly character based stuff and funny little beats. I can't believe the Fathier chase was that long originally, they probably just wanted options to cut it down to. That's the only one I would think is weak although I can see why the other stuff was cut if only for running time considerations (and I do think Phasma's exit in the theatrical version is stronger). There are a few transitions that are missed, there's a great cross cut from Luke sitting down after he meets Rey to Leia sitting at her desk. And another great transition from a deleted scene with Poe ending the scene saying "I was busy saving the fleet!" and cutting to Leia slapping him with "you're demoted!"

The two biggie deleted scenes I would say is Luke's other lesson (debatable if it is the official "third" lesson cuz I don't think he says that is the "third" one in the scene so there's canon wiggle room if JJ wants to have Force Ghost Luke give a third lesson) and the scene with Finn/Rose and DJ in the elevator. Losing the elevator bit (and the run up to it) I think is just a time thing, although it does set up White Suit Guy who finds them later on. And maybe people would have thought the Tom Hardy stormtrooper bit was too goofy but I thought it was hilarious and check out Tom Hardy emoting through the freakin' trooper armour which is quite a feat. But, yeah, time.

Luke's lesson, also time and it doesn't quite resolve anything, but I think a few major things is A) it makes Luke seem a bit more of a jerk than intended B) it is directly on the heels of Luke's big revelation about the night Ben killed everyone, which is a really hard, dramatic, powerful scene then you go right into Luke playing a prank on Rey? It's awkward to come after that scene (and frankly Luke's revelation works better when they end it on him). But still, there's gold in it, Rey unenthusiastic waving her lightsaber is an amazing laugh and Ridley sells it perfectly and Luke cracking up halfway through his explanation "You just ran so fast!" I love.

One thing I wish they hadn't cut out was the Caretaker giving Rey the evil eye, I thought that was comedy gold and only, like, 20 seconds max. More Caretakers!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I enjoyed the deleted scenes.
    I know Rian gave reasons for cutting scenes, but I still am upset Luke reacting to Han's death was cut. It's such a beautiful moment, and really should be in the movie. I really enjoyed the Caretakers celebration. It was a valuable moment between Luke and Rey. I would also keep in the Hux scene, and I prefer the deleted version of the Phasma fight.

Guidman likes this.
  14. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    true but I doubt there will be any canon to change that moment so you know its there and can watch it and enjoy it as the catalyst for luke to at least start listening to rey and what she wants. same as the scene with the caretakers, they never do say it is a lesson, so that will probably never be retconned if you get what Im saying

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Dnej like this.
  15. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I can see why these scenes were deleted..... the CGI is embarrassingly primitive. ILM is slipping.

BigAl6ft6, jajje and Link1130 like this.
  16. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Well if the scenes are deleted there is no point in finishing the CGI. Some of the deleted scenes in TFA had placeholder CGI as well. It's quite common to have incomplete shots in deleted scenes.

17. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I originally hated the animal chase on Canto Bight but this extended version made it so much better I wish they had left it all in. That naked creature in the spa was hilarious.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think the only deleted scenes that should have made the movie was the Rey running on the beach / caretaker scene & the extended Captain Phasma scene & maybe the Luke emotional scene from inside his hut as for the rest they were left where they should have been on the cutting room floor......

19. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    You know, I wouldn't mind an extended addition of TLJ that brought some of these scenes back in, specifically:
    • Luke lamenting over Han's death
    • The Third Lesson/Caretaker Village Party
    • Alternate Phasma Scene
    Hey, if it can work of The Lord of the Rings, it can work for Star Wars.

20. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Rian finished his introduction to the deleted scenes and my seven year old said, “he seems like a really nice guy.” I agree.

redxavier likes this.
  21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm personally fine with the exclusion of Luke mourning Han for a couple of reasons (despite the fact that the end of that shot would have cut nicely with Leia aboard the Raddus):

- Luke mourning Han's death is the start of the return of his emotional engagement. There would have been a disconnect had he been shown having that early emotional moment and then gone straight back to his stubbornness with Rey.

- Luke's mourning of Han is much better communicated with his return on the Falcon and taking the dice. This combined with rediscovering R2 and remembering Leia's hologram works as a stronger inciting moment for Luke to begin properly engaging with Rey.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    TK327, Satipo and Martoto77 like this.
  22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I still can't make up my mind over the caretaker scene. I think it's great and I can see why they cut it, but I would love to see a cut with that scene in it and see how it flows.

Totally agree.

23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It's not very Star Wars (if you don't count the SEs of the OT) but an extended version like the LOTR DVDs would be very welcome.

All the deleted scenes feel like they would work fine if seen in context. Like the LOTR extended versions, I doubt they would necessarily make a better film. But it would be nice to have considering some of them were excised simply to have a shorter running time.

Loved the caretaker's rave scene. (How did Luke get down there so quick?!!! [face_laugh])

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I just feel that the Phasma scene was sanitising to make it more kiddie friendly after the brutal and gruesome deaths of the Praetorian Guards, the last one Rey kills she slices through his legs but when he falls his legs are still intact. It isn't Star Wars if nobody gets their hand chopped off.:p

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Force projection. :p

Yeah, I think that scene is probably my favorite of the deleted scenes, and the one that could have worked the best if they'd kept it in.

Martoto77 likes this.