main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Jedi Discussion Thread - **UNTAGGED SPOILERS WITHIN**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My Ship is Reylo/whatever Ben Solo and Rey is called.

I see Finn and Rey as more brother/sister since that's how they were to read the test scripts and we need more friendships in entertainment between men and women that aren't going to turn romantic.

I can see both Stormpilot and Finn/Rose but I don't think Stormpilot is going to be Canon, Oscar put the possibility into his performance but I am pretty sure the story group has said 'no' or to not read too much into Poe's actions.

Poe/Rey has nothing going for it; not yet.

gizkaspice and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I must admit that Reylo attracts me as a 'ship to a certain extent, too. But it's disturbing. So, so, so beautifully disturbing.

Finn/Rey, Poe/Rey, Finn/Poe and Finn/Poe/Rey, nope. Not for me. I don't even know who came up with that last one. [face_rofl]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is highly needed.

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I will never ship Reylo because Kylo murders people! Even if he repents...he's still a murderer. If he stuck to military targets, that would be okay. But he ordered the slaughter of that entire helpless village on Jakku. To me, it would be like writing a Hitler/Eva Braun romance. Ack! At least with Padme and Anakin their romance started when he was a good guy. Now, when he admitted he murdered every man, woman and child in that Sand People village...I think Padme should have ran for the hills. I just don't want a seemingly nice person like Rey to hook up with a psychopath.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Mistress_Renata, Sith-I-5 and Anedon like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can we, please, not use the "P" word for Anakin and/or Kylo? It makes me feel bad about myself and other people who are like me, but NOT mass murderers. I explained it here. [face_blush]

Absolutely! =D=

But how do we do that when the whole "fannish" (good goat, how I despise that word!) culture is about two or more people appearing on the screen together for a second, the actors looking good together and, boom, romance! [face_thinking]

I get established pairings such as A/P, H/L, L/M, J/J, J/K etc...but some, one has to look hard to see it. Say, I could ship Tom and Daisy from the Downtown Abbey, because they're my favourite characters in that and yeah, there are a couple of scenes they shared. But why would I?

I'm stupid. [face_party][face_cow][face_monkey]

Lady_Misty likes this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Personally, I think Poe's true love is...:bb8:!

Which is why I wouldn't mind Reypo, then they could share custody! :D I agree, though... man + woman should NOT necessarily equal romance.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Xando

Xando Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2018
    I must admit I am a Reylo shipper...But only The Last Jedi made me ship them, nothing in TFA hinted at a romance, but I go definite Reylo vibes. I could see Poe / Rey working aswell, but if they reform Kylo, Reylo will almost certainly become offical.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    @Ewok Poet I am not sure what you are getting at. The definition of a psychopath is a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior. I'm no psychiatrist, but the directors of the movies go to great pains to show Kylo is unstable and the slaughter of so many innocents seems to fit the definition. He's also complicit in the destruction of how many planets?

@Mistress_Renata are you going to write a Poe/BB8 love story. :)

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    In that case, I would be a psychopath, too and I'm not - I am only auto-aggressive and get verbal diarrhea sometimes, plus I tend to misjudge people. Kylo is a borderline gone too far. Not all personality disorders are psychopathy, it's not a blanket term. Does it make more sense now? Not angry at all, just concerned when the term is thrown around randomly.

This is a list of myths and semi-myths about psychopaths as represented in popular culture. In real world, they're mostly pragmatic and covert:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dean-a-haycock/6-incredibly-common-misco_b_5082723.html

And these are the testimonials of a real-life psychopath named Athena Walker, who's somewhat stable:
    https://www.quora.com/profile/Athena-Walker

(And yeah, I read a lot about psychology and psychiatry in general and I know people with pretty much any condition...it's one of my obsessions.)

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You can't separate a man from the love of his droid, just look at that scene between Luke and R2.

I agree. I'm fine with Rey/Poe but I think I'd prefer it if Rey had more important things to do like fix the galaxy.

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Originally, when TFA came out, I wanted to ship Rey/Finn, but more and more, shipping more than weapons, doesn't seem to be ringing my bell. Rey and Finn are definitely more brother and sister and Rey will be Jedi, which, like Luke could put her Warrior Monk status. I enjoyed reading Luke/Mara, but had the hardest time writing (until I didn't) because I thought of Luke as above shipping. As for Finn/Rose, it seemed more one sided from Rose's end. I would need a lot more background before jumping on that ship. For Poe, I'm seeing an AU where Poldo exists. No age discrimination here. [face_love]

Lady_Misty and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree that Finn/Rose is mostly one sided; she was gushing over him when they first met and then they went on an adventure together and rode a 'horse' together; it would be a dream come true to most girls. And Finn is really new to the relationship thing so he doesn't know all the nuances or probably even for sure what love is and the different kinds of love: romantic love, friendship, familial etc.

And you could read Finn/Rey as one sided as well; Rey is the first female that's allowed to be a female that Finn meets (I am not counting the female officers in the First Order because he wouldn't have seen them out of uniform and being 'girly') and she seems strong. He even asks her if she has a [cute] boyfriend minutes after meeting her. And all of Rey's actions to him show that she views him as a friend: she hugs Finn on Starkiller when he tells her that they came to rescue her; the only "romantic" thing Rey does to Finn is he plants a kiss on his forehead while he's in a coma before she leaves to find Luke.

Either way, Finn needs space and time to sort out his own feelings and come to an understanding about love.

I hope this makes sense.

brodiew and Mistress_Renata like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This could cause him many, many problems with just about...anything.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Poe Dameron leaned back on his pillow, his mind envisioning the smooth, white curves, so cool under his fingertips...

CosmicDust and Briannakin like this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    HA! I wrote a Luke/Artoo love story a while a go. In that story Callista's spirit was transferred to the droid and not Cray. What is it with pilots and their Astromech droids? I guess it gets lonely out in space. ;)

Lady_Misty likes this.
  16. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I will go DOWN with Finn/Poe. lol It's our last (I think?) Star Wars Saga, so I'm buckled in tight and riding the OTP train until the last stop. yolo I've written so much fanfic for them. I need to see TLJ at least one more time before I feel confident writing anything canon compliant, though. Right now I'm just thinking up ways for Finn's confusion about Rose's kiss to be worked into an angsty, pining Finn/Poe premise.

On the topic of droids, I read a rather racy R2/C3PO fic once.

Does anyone else read fics for ships they don't ship? That is with me and Reylo.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I sometimes read 'ships that I don't write, but usually only for canon characters that aren't paired up yet in the novels. I like most of the canon pairings (legends). I would like to see some of the Wild Karrde crew to find love (not necessarily with each other...but I wouldn't rule it out entirely).

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sith-I-5, Jedi_Lover and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Let's try to keep this family-friendly. Perhaps the conversation should go in a new direction or I will lock this thread since the spoiler-time is over.

jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    TBH, most of it has turned into discussion on illnesses, psychological profiles and OTPs.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering, from a fanficers perspective, what are people planning to use from TFA? Personally I don't get any ideas for stories set in the ST 'verse but I like the planets and the animals so I will most likely use them in my Legends-stories.

Is this ok, @Briannakin ?

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    From this one's perspective I am staying mostly in the time frames before TPM or in the time between eps I-VII because I'm being a little too cautious, like how fans are worried that Reylo is/was incest, but i do have some ideas that will take place after TLJ and dive into some speculation.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I have tons of TLJ-related plot bunnies, but they're mostly about secondary or minor characters (Maz, DJ, the Fish Nuns, etc). A series of one-shots is in the making.

Gamiel and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    The more I think about TFA and 'shipping lanes', the more I think that all three of the new Big Three are adult children. Yes, they are in dangerous situations. Yes, they have come from certain hardships. And, yes, then entire galaxy hinges on their activities. However, the amount of child-like excitability in all of them, though refreshing to an extent, does not lend well to their credibility. Rey is the likely exception, but her grief is present (go Daisy) in way that it is not for Poe and Finn.

When we met Luke, Han, and Leia, we immediately got their edge in each character. Their drama/trauma was so well portrayed not only by the actors, but by the direction and settings. The romance between Han and Leia seems to grow organically though it was always part of the story. In the new story, the romance element is not organic and is pretty much nonexistant, except for for Finn/Rose, which is dubious.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't think I'll write anything. Should have written the first scene of what I thought the next film would be back in '15 and up it just to see the look on everybody's faces. Since I can't turn back time...I will just enjoy how the internet thought Luke would be nice for two years.[face_rofl]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Lady_Misty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.