main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Last Jedi: DJ (One-Shot)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Oct 17, 2017.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    DJ struck me as the poor man's Lando in TLJ just without the moral change of heart, so this comic will have to do something very special to get me invested in this characters.

Also I don't care what Hidalgo or the story group say, DJ is Ezra in my headcanon- it's after all the only way to justify his presence in the movie.

BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I do not understand this statement.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Why isn't he justified? He's there for very clear, surface level plot reasons.

4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Loving that Canto Bight has some OT and PT aliens instead of just all new aliens like it was in the film.

Why don't we ask for the name of Yoda's species and planet why we're at it? Some things are better left a mystery.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I'd actually be okay with DJ being Ezra (it's a joke theory at best and a dark direction for his character, but as noted DJ does have some similarity to a certain old Weequay buddy of Ezra's), and I still think that statement makes no sense.

I'm actually starting to get kind of bugged by seeing this in comics - not that it's a criticism of the art itself, but that it just keeps rubbing in how jarring the lack of preestablished alien species in the ST proper, or even Rogue One, is.

6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Rogue One had, off the top of my head, Mon Calamari, Aqualish, Twi'lek, and even a Gigoran!

BigAl6ft6 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Rogue One was better about it than the ST thus far, for sure - I just meant that even there any given random crowd was much more likely to consist of humans, new aliens, and unidentifiable guys in masks and hoods than what we've been seeing in the comics and Rebels and so forth.

8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Honestly, that's one of my only major gripes with the Disney-era films and kind of ironic given the heavy reliance on recycled ship design. I actually like many of the new alien designs, I just can't process that I haven't seen a single damn Rodian or Ithorian for three films now. It's... okay, I guess, but if SOLO doesn't up the quotient over R1 it's gonna seem really odd to me.

9. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    He is a subversion of Lando in that sense. Otherwise like Holdo and Poe, he is suppose to playoff Finn according to Rian Johnson in the TLJ artbook. But I think both of them probably weren't effectvie as Rian Johnson wanted.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought DJ was supposed to tie into the Legendary Luke plot. Finn, Poe, and Rose wanted to find the miraculous "Master Codebreaker" and ended up finding some no-name bum-in-a-cell (we found... a... codebreaker...) because of circumstances beyond their control. Because that's what happens with legends. They're not real no matter how hard you look for them. And to rub salt in the wound, putting faith in DJ performing miracles wasn't just a mistake -- DJ himself was even adamant about not putting all your hopes on one dream.

DJ's apathy in any cause is like the other extreme in the film's moral lesson -- some people believe too much in something to the point they become blind, whereas others don't care at all and basically get nothing done (or as KOTOR2 puts it, "Apathy is Death"). You've got to find that middle ground.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I read the preview and I agree. DJ speaks like DJ. The stammering and phrases like ‘dandy calculator’. This is my favorite new character from the Last Jedi. Del Toro was magnificent.
    I’m fine with it staying DJ. It’s more mysterious that way.

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The name's Dezra Jriger.

BigAl6ft6, WMIRTUTSF and kalzeth like this.
  13. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    [face_rofl]

14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It would be kinda odd for that name to be spoken on screen (or even in a sentence bubble), because those aren't actual letters in the GFFA, as conspicuously demonstrated by the man's hat.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, the High Galactic alphabet (i.e. the real-life Roman alphabet) is still a thing anyway. That's what allows us to have A-, B-, X-, and Y-wing starfighters. Or R2-D2 and C-3PO for that matter.

But yeah... given that the plaque on his hat uses Aurebesh, maybe he should have chosen "Dorn Jenth" as an alias.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Frankly, I think this is one of those things best brushed swiftly by with the acknowledgement that most SW creators are not (and shouldn't have to be) J.R.R. Tolkien.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Perhaps, but I still dream of the day when Star Wars will canon have a proper constructed language, like Trek has Klingon. Yes, I know what you're going to tell me: Mando'a was used in Rebels, so it is canon, but it certainly wasn't a very good Mando'a... It was as approximative and mangled as those instances in which Klingon dialogues were not written by Marc Okrand. (Ditto with the use of "Sith" in TCW. Why on Earth didn't they ask Ben Grossblatt to create proper phrases for them instead of the grammar-less mumbo jumbo they did?)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It’s weird, no one writes anything in High Galactic but they all use High Galactic letters when abbreviating things. The Imperial Security Bureau is ISB and not Isk Senth Besh, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There are many in-universe documents that are written in High Galactic. Of course, it's mainly for the readers' benefit IRL, but still...

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  20. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Oh man, Acker and Blacker wrote this part specifically to mess with us. I love it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm glad they went for it because the guy stutters, it'd be weird if they didn't use it at all.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  22. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I really enjoyed this one shot. Much better than the Storms of Crait. But definitely for fans of the character.
    Also only covers the 12 hrs basically before The Last Jedi.
    This would have been a perfect book to release BEFORE the movie.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  23. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

Their are 200 billion stars in the galaxy. Even if only 1% support intelligent life, that's 200,000,000,000 aliens to choose from

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Still, several species have been established as wide spread, and yet with both TFA and TLJ we've had two entire movies where other than Chewie, Nein Nunb, and Ackbar, all the aliens are ones we've never seen before.

The best analogy I can think of: Let's say Star Wars was pure medieval fantasy, and it had fantasy races. You've got humans, you've got the standard fantasy races of elves, dwarves, orcs, ect. Occasionally to shake things up, in addition to the usual dwarves and such the tavern scenes will have other fantasy races in the background, like cyclopes or leprechauns. Now let's say that for several movies in a row, whenever our heroes entered a tavern, there was a HUGE variety of uncommon fantasy races neither they or the audience had seen before. People with four arms, animal people, people made of rocks . . . but not a single dwarf.

At this point you couldn't blame the audience for thinking that our heroes moved to a distant land between movies, or that some calamity killed all the dwarves off, anything to explain why we used to see loads of them in the background, but don't anymore.

Overall I'd like a balance. Too many familiar aliens makes the galaxy seem too small. Too many new aliens expands the galaxy, BUT in a superficial way. (ie leading to "This species appeared once in the background and was never seen again" stubs on wookieepedia). A good mix shows a galaxy that's familiar but also different.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I really liked the art in this issue and the dialog was pretty good, but I couldn't follow the story entirely. I got the basic idea of what happened but it felt like too much was happening with too many people and it lost me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    SilentGuy66 likes this.