main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Last Jedi - Incredible Cross Sections by Jason Fry (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 13, 2017.

1. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Yuh-huh...Not to be rude, but let's not bring real world logic into a world with a little frog man who can use an invisible energy field to lift up a ship that can travel through space at lightspeed who prior lived for 800 years, finally participating in a galactic conflict that featured robots and clones as foot soldiers.....

And not to sing an old song, but the FO is too powerful to continue using upgraded OT designs, I don't care for the nostalgia Disney is trying to stuff down our throats. X-Wings and MC Cruisers are a thing of the past and mere fodder against the FO War Machine as evidenced painfully during Ep. VIII.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It does though. TIEs with shields. AT-STs with a bit more armour. AT-ATs with a slight foot and head redesign.

That doesn't mean they don't use new designs as well- but "keep using old ones" is as much a First Order thing as it is a New Republic thing.

3. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Sure, but that's partially because the FO also wanted to speed up their takeover of the New Republic and the facilities they've been using were originally Imperial designs already in the works, they couldn't exactly afford to be picky.

According to the Silencer page, they've apparently got guys awaiting the day they can mass-produce TIE Silencers, I'm gonna assume that'll be the day that all-out war has been declared or the FO has taken over the galaxy.

Even the AT-M6 in the ICS is stated to have AT-AT legs. That's not creative. That's lazy and sloppy. On Disney's part. And the creators of the film. They just have the ICS guys spin stories to give their designs backgrounds and excuses.

15 years the Venator-Class goes to Imperial and bigger; the Resurgent class can be recognizable from an Imperial Star Destroyer and that I guess that is because they can't afford to go for something new before the Resistance could potentially out them to the NR.

The lack of innovation is deeply upsetting for me as a SW fan. It's a representation of how technology is advancing. The ARC-170 to the X-Wing may not be 'realistic' (why should it be 'REALISITC??') but it demonstrated actual ingenuity. What's worse is we don't even get to see the T-85s, the so called latest X-Wings because they've all apparently been vaporized.....

I know the phrase 'If it ain't broken, yada yada yada.' But that just translates into settling. The Empire didn't settle, the NR shouldn't have either.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd humbly suggest that since it is "a world with a little frog man who can use an invisible energy field" that you shouldn't be getting this emotionally involved/frustrated at the types of ships used. ;)[face_peace]

You're on record now multiple times for not liking the decisions. Great! Now either add something constructive or feel free to move along.

--Adm. Nick

revan772, Darth_SHOT, jSarek and 3 others like this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    And even these upgrades may largely be a consequence of the fact that the Empire was forced to demilitarize, which means that a lot of original Imperial tech may have just not survived. The FO was rebuilding Imperial designs from scratch.

6. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Fair enough, perhaps I'm just biased since I grew up with the PT (which was what got me interested in the OT) and I was too young to understand why a lot of people had issues with them.

And it's because of the PT issues is why we've got the current ST storyline because Disney opted to go the 'safe' route.

Seeing SW as it is now, is profoundly vexing on a personal level to me and saying good-bye to it is like saying good-bye to a lot of things I'm not ready to yet. So that is why I'm emotionally invested.

I simply feel ship design is one of the main issues of the ST gripes. And if people have more gripes then who knows what Disney'll do next to please the masses? Or worse, if they see enough people like them that encourages them to continue as they have been......

I like the CB Police Speeders, the Supremacy and the TIE Silencer, but let's not be afraid to try harder.

Or is it because they don't have access to the same people George Lucas did?

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You're within your right as a fan to not like every aspect of the new movies. That's fine.

You'll find, however, that if you are more constructive in your online posts and less focused on accusing creative folks who work their @sses off making this stuff of being "lazy and sloppy" that you can be part of a good dialogue.

All it takes is a change in tone and an open mind. Be part of making these message boards a fun and welcoming place, not part of what drives fans and VIP's away.

To quote Captain Planet - "The power is yours!" [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd highly recommend you step over into the TLJ thread. You will very quickly see that ship designs are not actually one of the main gripes people have.

Vthuil and BobaMatt like this.
  9. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I want to be constructive but that is becoming very hard with all the plotholes and hoops needed to be jumped through to make sense of certain bits of the plot. Clearly RJ and JJ wanted to take the story entirely different places

When I read certain artwork pages it didn't help that when they came up with certain designs they took the path of least resistance rather than trying to test their boundaries.

Hard work doesn't always produce good quality things.

@Outsourced
    There are a large number of people complaining about the originality of the story and it being a rehash of the OT that say otherwise, would you not agree that there wouldn't be such problems if we had other types of ships? And other tech in general?

Solar System destroying-sun eater weapon, not bad....
    Hyperspace tracking. okay....
    Slicing, eh....
    Hyperspatial ram; All right....

Simply because it is not stated specifically doesn't mean it isn't a gripe.

I feel as though they're thinking outside but pressed right up against the box.

The more I read others' gripes, the less I can ignore them, because they were small gripes that my subconscious whispered to me.

It also doesn't help that I'm something of a perfectionist. :p

I can admit that much and sometimes that makes it easy to embrace the dark side.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    @AdmiralNick22 to pick up on something from the weekend — the TFA-era materials give every indication that Kuat-Entralla and Sienar-Jaemus were just subsidiaries of KDY and SFS intended to evade the Concordance and NR laws.

If anything this harmonizes very well with TLJ’s CB storyline and the selling to both sides business.

KDY and SFS do sell to both sides. And they are loving it. It’s not political. They just want the money.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, both corporations are the classic "profit before politics" types. As opposed to worlds like Corellia and Mon Cala, who benefit from their membership AND have a solid civilian market (to say nothing of their presumed contracts maintaining all those MC85's, MC80's, and Corellian bunkerbusters in service).

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Well said, Adm. Nick. Not to pull the thread off-topic but as one of those fans who has more than once been on the verge of being driven away by the cynicism and vitriol that fuels too many people in this community, this post is music to my ears, so thank you for it. We're supposed to be having fun with all this Star Wars stuff, aren't we?

Darth_SHOT, spicer, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  13. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Let's not forget Sonn-Blas being a subsidiary of Merr-Sonn and BlasTech - the latter of which manufactured a lot of the Resistance's weaponry.

14. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    *Inhales* (Beat) *Exhale*

I suppose when faced with a calm and respectful response, I can only comply.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I would be loathe to read this and not register my despair that the Rebels' hammerheads are supposed to be an old design based on an ancient Republic warship, and not just ancient Republic warship museum pieces that have been made operational again.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Speaking of Hammerheads, if we can see one in IX, I'd be thrilled. If we see the interior of one for any extended period of time, and it looks even vaguely like the Endar Spire's interior, I'd probably die of delight. If we for some reason saw a lightsaber duel aboard one? [face_hypnotized]

I know I'm dreaming and it'll never happen, but JJ, if you're listening? Let the climactic duel of Episode IX happen aboard a Hammerhead, please let it happen.

BobaMatt and Vthuil like this.
  17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Han Solo movie, maybe?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Funnily enough, while watching a playthrough of Battlefront II's "Resurrection" DLC I found myself thinking the interior corridors on Hask's Resurgent-class were giving me flashbacks to the Leviathan.

Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    FYI, for fans of this book, we'll be posting an interview over on Eleven-ThirtyEight on Monday morning. Jason gave us a really interesting look into his creative process, plus shared some really cool details about the book. Don't miss it!

--Adm. Nick

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  21. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Job well done. Lots of good information.

I am sure it may have been brought up elsewhere in the forums, but didn't really think about how the shield strength of the Raddus could play a role in how devastating the hyperspace collision could be. Think that is a pretty good reason why that doesn't happen all of the time in-universe, and why shields can still be an effective deterrent like they were in the Legends universe.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I noticed that the Raddus crew listing in the ICS notes it is already a skeleton crew requirement, so I have a hunch the stats provided are for the vessel at the time of it's Resistance service. I suspect that the normal crew complement and weapons load out during the height of the vessels use in the New Republic was higher than listed.

Maybe @jasonfry can shed some light on this?

--Adm. Nick