main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi is the Most Profitable Film of 2017

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jaqen, Mar 29, 2018.

1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Cash on return for TFA: 2.00, net profits $780.11M ( http://deadline.com/2016/03/star-wa...ovie-profit-2015-lucasfilm-disney-1201726142/ )
    Cash on return for R1.: 1.62, net profits $319.16M ( http://deadline.com/2017/04/rogue-one-box-office-profit-2016-1202054697/ )
    Cash on return for TLJ: 1.72, net profits $417.50M ( http://deadline.com/2018/03/star-wars-the-last-jedi-box-office-movie-profits-1202351603/ )

In movie profits, Disney has earned almost $1,517B, about 40% of the LFL purchase price of $4B.

3. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Looks like a sound investment to me.

4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    But I thought Rian Johnson's career was ruined?
    In only 3 years of movies. Incredible.

5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, his career deserves to be ruined for being such a lazy writer. ;)

I had thought it would have done much better, but I guess Jumanji took away some business. And now Black Panther could wind up #3 all time domestic.

If JJ pulls IX off, I’m sure it’ll do better than VIII, but not VII.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah, BP is headed at minimum the number 3 spot. The weekend holds are fabulous and like I said before, the movie doesn’t need to make $700 million to be good, just passing Titanic is an awesome feat in itself.Jumanji did take business from TLJ, but Episode 9 will be back up there. I’m not going to say nothing about what it could make because I will never doubt the power of the star wars fan base. If they like a movie we will come out in droves. That and the rising ticket prices and the globalization of the markets will drive up box office cumes.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think the backlash at minimal effect on the box office. I think China flopping and Jumanji providing very stiff competition (neither TFA nor BP faced anything like Jumanji) are the main causes of the somehwat lower than expected box office. I still think it was always going to perform lower than TFA, and anyone who thought it would be close was kidding themselves, but I do think Jumanji and the collapse of SW in China had an impact - and I don't think anyone saw Jumanji coming.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  8. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I predicted about 1.4 billion and it came very close to that. It performed as I expected.

jaqen, Satipo and Ricardo Funes like this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. I don't think the film was ever going to reach 700m domestic and 1.5b WW was probably the best it could have hoped for. People just latched on to these outlandish predictions they were hearing prior to the release and thought it should have been making that much.

jaqen, Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The longer this thread doesn't become another TLJ Box Office Thread, the longer it will stay open.

11. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    yup it took the MCU 5 years and 6 movies to gross the same world wide box office as the first 3 Disney Star Wars movies did.

A 1.72 cach on cash return ratio is insane

jaqen and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    well They didn't expect it to do well in China. They made a big push for TFA and R1 but the marketing in China was minimal. Allthough it is insane making 1.3 billion with out any real help from China.

Jumanji? ehhh I don't think that affected it much either. I don't think it would have done any better if Jumanji didn't come out. This is really where it should have been. If you look at the box office drop of Empire and AOTC they both had a 65% ish drop from their previous movies just like TLJ had from TFA

jaqen and Ricardo Funes like this.