main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Setting up for an even Darker Episode IX???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Nadroj ilain, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Did I say that anywhere? No, I didn't! So where exactly did you get it from?

First of all, just because there were allies out there, doesn't mean that they all bunked together and could drop in anywhere in an instance. It takes times to gather people and even more to move from there. Just because they couldn't arrive in time to help the remaining resistance at the battle of Crait, doesn't mean that they don't exist. Just because there are still allies left, doesn't mean that they formed one coherent fighting-force that was sitting around somewhere. There is nothing cheap about that sort of story-telling at all.
    And secondly, you seem to have missed that the First Order suffered quite a few losses as well. They lost their big superweapon in TFA, now they lost their giant flagship plus another few big ships. They had an impressive fleet compared to everyone else because the fleet of the Republic got destroyed in TFA, while the resistance didn't have a huge combined fleet to begin with. Hence the FO could move around with superior numbers. Where do you think the rebels got their fleet from in the OT (or Rogue One for that matter)? They were a bunch of different groups coming together, forming an alliance to topple the Empire. They didn't just drop into existence armed with quite a few ships. The same applies now, the new rebellion can simply gather forces over a set amount of time. Forces that were spread out all over the place, forces that on their own couldn't deal with the FO, but when combined can be a threat to it.

Where do these 10 force-trained force-users suddenly come from? You never bothered to mention them before, yet suddenly here they are. Even if the Knights of Ren are around, there is no reason to assume that Rey would have to deal with them all at the same time.
    A small kid isn't going to level the playing-field, so yes, it is a tiny detail, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the story as it can happen in IX. It is meant as a signal of hope to the galaxy, that there can be future generations of Jedi as well, that's it, it is not a specific plot detail for the next movie which shows who Rey will use to fight back. You are acting exactly like those who comb through every second of a trailer, trying to find a deeper meaning to everything seen on screen. There just isn't always something like that around. You are missing the general message, the whole theme of the end, in favour of some obscure theory that isn't based on anything.

The odds of a ten year jumps are extremely slim. It wouldn't make much sense to make such a jump. Nor would such a jump be necessary in any way. You are making assumptions about stuff for no good reason whatsoever. No one knows what the exact situation is, so why jump to the conclusion that Rey couldn't possibly deal with the issue? All you do is take a theory, somehow declare that theory to be a definite fact, and then wonder how this situation could possibly get dealt with, completely ignoring that your theory is far from a fact in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    those 10 trained force users I mention are the KOR+kylo ren. again I already stated before I do not remember how many KOR there are. And Rey not having to deal with all the KOR at once would be piss poor story telling and idc who you are. Who else in the resistance is capable of killing a force user?
    40 resistance fighters vs Darth Vader who wins? 100 resistance fighters vs Darth vader who wins? There is no reason in believing why each KOR couldn't accomplish the same/equivalent feats as vader. So again within the realms of possibility in this story what is ONE realistic way that wouldn't seem like a major cop out for the resistance to be able to take on the KOR in battle!
    Using TCW as backing here we saw how effective 1 or 2 jedi were with an army of clone troopers....why wouldn't the KOR be equally successful with their storm trooper armies? How often in canon has a nonforce user been a serious threat to a trained force user?

You really see Finn shooting a KOR with a blaster as an effective way of helping Rey deal with them? Oh rey is just going to challenge kylo to a 1on1 and winner gets the KOR loyalty? yayyy exciting (sarcasm).....OH I know maybe you think Rey will just fight each knight of ren over the course of a year with enough time to recuperate in between fights....but then....why after losing like 2 or 3 KOR wouldn't the KOR just hunt rey down her down as a group... I mean they are the bad guys right...why wouldn't they just gang up on her and overwhelm her.... ALL I am asking is HOW with what we have been given can Rey possibly compete with the FO, KOR and KYlo Ren. Even a blind person could see she's way undertrained to handle that situation. We are going in to the FINAL MOVIE with no possible explanation on HOW she could possibly beat him. At least in the OT its within reason for Luke to be able to beat Vader in combat in necessary.

You mentioned that over time the resistance could gather strength again. Ok.....sooo as in a time jump right? We saw how adept rey got in the force over 2 or 3 days...you dont think the weeks/months it would take to rebuild the resistance would make a serious difference when it comes to training new force users? with a time jump that child could definitely make a vast difference in the fight. Episode IX will need to do a time jump because having an entire trilogy resolve itself within a week is BS and everyone knows it. No where did I state even that broom boy SPECIFICALLY would be featured. The fact that the force awoke in broom boy however means that there are others like him...like Rey even! Something like that is a MAJOR game changer

3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    From what I'm learning it would seem that the inspiration for IX is Logan's Run. Does this mean a dark film? Possibly but it is starting from a totally blank canvas with no obvious mirroring of ROTJ and ROTS.

4. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    You're assuming that Ben Solo remains evil or exists to be defeated by Rey. Tides change if he does.

I'd strongly bet against a simple good-vs.-evil, hero-defeats-villain ending.

I had to look up the plot to Logan's Run. Slightly reminds me of a '70s Doctor Who episode called The Face of Evil in terms of civilizations run by a computer who are completely unaware of their origins, live in ignorance and have been greatly altered from how they used to live. Blade Runner kind of has a similar concept with Replicants trying to flee being retired and having a limited lifespan. Definitely old-school sci-fi, though I suppose the idea of rebels facing execution trying to escape a totally totalitarian, controlled hub of society with false promises of a promised land that only offers misery and death (speaking of Doctor Who, that's Utopia) could possibly work in our context.

Basically, if the First Order wins and populations are controlled with only a very few tiny groupings of Rebels and sympathizers who are on the run and have been utterly decimated. That aspect of the story might not be totally weird for Star Wars. It would certainly be a departure from the expected. Though, being populated entirely by radicalized young people seems to be an odd feature of the First Order we've been seeing, along with our comparatively incredibly aged Resistance. Combine this with Kylo's desire to burn down the old order. That aspect of Logan's Run might be relevant.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.