main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Last Jedi - Visual Dictionary by Pablo Hidalgo (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 13, 2017.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yes. Between Rey's "drop the saber" move and Kylo using his saber and the spear simultaneously, not to mention all the other little things like Rey flinging the whip into the curtains or the lightning pit shredding the guard Kylo tossed in, it was just a fantastic duel. Not to mention the coup de grace, Kylo igniting the lightsaber into the last guy's face.

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Hoping Black Squadron recruits Wedge and the surviving Rogues to the cause in IX. That would be so cool

3. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Got this earlier and liked it a lot. Loved the Lobster Guard!

Has anyone gotten their hands on the incredible cross sections for TLJ?

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using Tapatalk

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    TFA made it clear it's impossible to take the bad guys seriously (despite blowing up Hosnian Prime and temporarily defeating the NR).

5. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Which I love about the First Order, is that they're a bunch of pathetic jackbooted thugs with none of the supposed grace and styles of the Imperials they're copying.

It strikes me as a big FU to the concept of the "good" Imperial Remnant, and I'm totally fine with that.

6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Glad you do. Certain people on the other hand...

masterskywalker likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, I'm questioning the Empire having any grace the FO doesn't.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Picked this up along with the 'Art of SWTLJ' in town today. Haven't had a chance to take a look at either yet.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, in the Disney canon there's not really anything distinctive about Rogue Squadron. Blade Squadron has a bigger profile than them so far in the new canon.

Very much looking forward to this. Art of TFA was a really fantastic look at the movie's production and various plot and character ideas developed and dropped. Really hoping the Art of TLJ provides a similar sort of look at the movie's development.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    That was the best draw of the Art of TFA book for me too. I'm told by third parties who've read Art of TLJ that you can very much expect some more knowledge of Lucas' original ideas for the ST, and how the art department reacted as the story developed.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You won't be disappointed. The Art of The Last Jedi book is gorgeous. It does show the movies development, plus provide little insights in to changes and edits made along the way. I highly recommend the book.

--Adm. Nick

kalzeth and darklordoftech like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Me too. That was a troubling narrative about the Remnant and I'm glad we've put paid to that.

C19, I know it's your thing these days to say the Empire and the FO are the same. You may even have something of a point when it comes to super weapons and treatment of dissidents.

But you also know they're not the same, on account of the Empire having to adapt to Core/Republic institutions and having to govern. The FO itself says they're purer: they're more ideological, without any Republic trappings at all.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I was very interested that the Visual Dictionary focused on two FO officers who were old enough to serve in the old Empire. I'm guessing they were in there 30's or 40's when the Empire fell, quite different from the majority of FO crewers who were born into this regime.

--Adm. Nick

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can even tell in the film how they're frustrated at the dang kids in charge.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or at the very least their mid-to-late twenties. Canady is called out as being in his 50s. If he's 59, then he would have been 30 around the time of the Battle of Jakku.

16. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So Pablo was very sneaky and hid a GIGANTIC lore bombshell in a few innocuous sentences of Snoke's entry.

Specifically, it's the exact terms of the Prophecy, which we never got in Legends. In short, yes, Anakin is the Chosen One, BUT, the Prophecy only predicted the destruction of the Sith, and not the Dark Side itself. Thus, other practitioners such as Snoke could still arise and threaten the Galaxy.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Shows how worthless the Prophecy was...

(though since some of the TFA visual dictionary has been overridden, I wouldn't bet all Star Wars on that quote either)

kalzeth likes this.
  18. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I absolutely loved Captain Canady in TLJ, and it's a shame we're not going to be seeing him again for obvious reasons. But a tactically competent old ex-Imperial Navy man who gives Hux crap is A+ in my book. Peavey made a bit less of an impact but I really appreciated his background with Brendol versus the younger Hux.

19. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    What from the TFA dictionary has been overwritten?

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's a gigantic bombshell?

Doesn't that just basically reiterate what we knew or could infer from the prequels? Destruction of the dark side itself isn't really a thing ( Kreia's fantasies of killing the Force aside ) which is why the Jedi never even suggest it. Or in the words of Ghost Ben from HTTE: "The Emperor is gone, but the dark side is still powerful. Never forget that."

kalzeth and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Pathetic jackbooted thugs indeed.

Seems like we're going to have to get used to these people deluding themselves into thinking that they're innovative.

22. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The power of the First Order is literally in opposing a demilitarized galaxy. The Hutts could probably do the same thing had they the inclination! The First Order is much more a group of thugs like we see in ISIS, North Korea etc, which also had spectacular early successes, only to be ground into the dirt because people figured out they were a one-trick pony.

A desperate animal is dangerous, but the First Order cannot be accredited with an abundance of brains, or strategic thinking, and I stand my belief they'll collapse relatively soon. ESPECIALLY considering
    who their current leader is. An entitled child with no political sense beyond smashing consoles with lightsabers.

Revanfan1 and Grievousdude like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The First Order at least has the class which Admiral Jello hoped.

I mean, LOOK AT Snoke's ensemble!

Dude has got STYLE.

KamNale, comradepitrovsky and kalzeth like this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like that's what I've been saying for ages, but nobody listened. People insisted that the average person wanted to hear the villains addressed as "Sith".

kalzeth and Charlemagne19 like this.
  25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I agree, darklordoftech

A lot of people keep reiterating their interpretations of things and get annoyed the movies aren't going along with them.

* The new villains are not Sith
    * The First Order is an incredibly large and powerful organization
    * The New Republic is gone

darklordoftech likes this.