main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Last Jedi - Visual Dictionary by Pablo Hidalgo (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 13, 2017.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Hux was also responsible for bringing Kylo to Snoke, however, so there's at least some travel time for them, probably covering the period of Rey's journey.

The Resistance was low on fuel anyway (as per the Poe Dameron comics) so I don't think them running out was because they didn't have time to load it all; it seems more like they did load everything they had, and it still wasn't enough.

2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Chewie had to rescue Rey and an unconscious Finn and then also travel to D'Qar. So there really shouldn't be all that big of a discrepancy. Especially considering the stop watch for Hux to pick up Kylo is very shortly thereafter.

That's also assuming Hux personally did this as opposed to the idea that Snoke gives his orders through Hux knowing the command structure doesn't mean Hux personally has to do it himself.

Didn't read the Poe Dameron comics. Kind of odd that the Resistance, being supported by the side that controls the galaxy didn't have a fuel depot on their base planet.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    While Hux and the opening crawl imply the Republic supports the Resistance, all other material states it really doesn't, and Leia and co are having to scrape by with what they have without support from the wider galaxy. That mention in the crawl was a very late addition, apparently, and isn't reflected in any material that came before it or even after.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think the answer has always been that there are those in the Republic who materially support the Resistance, but not that the Republic government supports them in any official capacity.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, the Visual Dictionary and ICS have somewhat changed this. There seems to be a distinction now between material support and intelligence. Not only that, but keeping with the whole "cold war" vibe, it appears that while "official" Republic policy was to not support the Resistance, the truth was that it encouraged and actively looked the other way when member worlds offered aid. I've noticed a subtle change in the narrative the last few years.

I'm more convinced than ever that the Senate and Chancellor were starting to prepare for war (the entire home fleet being over Hosnian Prime is telling), but they acted too slow and too late. I suspect that Leia's Resistance, given more time, could have gotten the Republic to wake up.

Of course, the strength of the New Republic (and any government for that matter) is it's people. The Senate, Chancellor, and home fleet may be gone, but if it's member worlds desire to resist has been reignited by Luke's sacrifice, the days of the FO are numbered. Tyrants and despots should fear an environment such as this. If Chandrila, Mon Cala, Sullust, Corellia, Virgillia, Kashyyyk, and others unite again to restore the Republic, the FO's failure will be of their own making.

--Adm. Nick

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    This is sort of what I meant. Hux is not, technically, wrong. I'm eager to see more stories that take place on FO worlds, featuring local rebels being approached by none other than Princess Leia.
    I think this is interesting, and fits with that concept art about the Republic superweapon ships for smashing planetary shields.
    And your faith in your friends is yours!

7. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    In the entry for DJ, it notes he's wearing a "ring with amber from Trammis III." I wonder if it contains a biting insect of some kind, allowing hypothetically for some interesting cloning?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I was very frustrated that the background galaxy material in the TFA VD wasn't contained in the movie itself; it meant that I really wanted to read supplementary material after the movie to properly understand the status quo. It wouldn't have taken a lot, either; tightening up the Hux dialogue around firing the Starkiller and then the discussions with the Resistance could have made the impact much more clear. I still think the fact that so many of us (myself included!) were surprised by the total disintegration of the Republic in the crawl of TLJ owes mostly to storytelling failures in TFA.

Thankful to say that wasn't the case this time; I still hugely enjoy this VD but it isn't as essential, as the political situation is much better explained in the movie than was the case in TFA. (Admittedly, this is in part because it has now been radically simplified as a result of TFA, but still!)

kalzeth and jSarek like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have visions of Poe fixing his jacket while Finn is under. Bless him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaarastar58 likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think that's a deleted scene.

11. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    This would be cool, but I'm concerned there just won't be time. The Resistance is down to a vestigial force, while the First Order still has fleets blitzing across the galaxy at a lightning pace. The only planets that I'm confident could be saved in time are Mon Cala, Sullust, and Kashyyyk, simply due to their distance from the First Order's core territory in the Unknown Regions. The rest would probably fall before they could even muster a proper defense.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, we still don't know the scope and scale of the FO's navy. We see the Supremacy and multiple Resurgent-class Star Destroyers lost, plus the Siege Dreadnought. The First Order is obviously larger than that, but these losses may give them pause. Will the First Order blindly follow their new Supreme Leader, Kylo Ren? Or will they start to fracture? Their hold in the Galaxy is tenuous at this point, remember that the VD and other sources point out worlds chose to simply surrender. If the worlds of the Galaxy choose to fight back, the FO will have a tough time holding on.

--Adm. Nick

Noash_Retrac and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Poe best get a ruddy love interest soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Reposting this from another thread:

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    damn Poe is fast

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm not normally a shipper, but I kinda ship them... [face_love]

Ever since TFA novelization hinted at them meeting and being kinda flustered (non-canon, but obviously even ADF thought it was possible).

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1, Sinrebirth and BobaMatt like this.
  17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I dunno I feel like I would also be flustered meeting Oscar Isaac.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    swagger in human form

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I just noticed that Commander Sefsan is one of the Mon Calamari we see in TLJ, he is the engineering chief on the Raddus. Nice little EU nod. :) Dan Wallace mentioned Sefsan in The Rebel Files too.

--Adm. Nick

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Sinrebirth like this.
  21. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I really hope that as we get more supplementary material, perhaps the Poe Dameron comic to begin with, we will see stories set at the time of TLJ showing the First Order blitzing across the galaxy in the wake of the destruction of the Hosnian system.

22. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    It all happened so fast. The winner writes the history.

The New Republic ordered the Resistance to attack SKB, which was only built as a deterrent to enforce the armistice. This left them no choice but to make good on their threats to obliterate the offending New Republic that took it upon themselves to support a clandestine terrorist outfit that daily tested the treaty until it finally opted for full scale war.

The First Order did what was best and made the war swift and precise. No civilian targets were harmed.

Free education for those willing to join the Peace Trooper program at a very early age.

If you see something, say something.

Long live Benevolent Leader Ren.

23. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    Just a question about canonicity—is the ADF novel as a whole non-canon, or just that specific scene because it invalidates what we see in TLJ? Thanks!

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I always did like Sesfan. He just happened to be one of those characters that reaches out. I always figured him for the Mon Calamari controller over Ackbar's left shoulder during the Battle of Endor in ROTJ and may have actually been the one to tell the admiral about approaching ships in Sector 47 as opposed to Verrack on Ackbar's right shoulder (when he's facing forward). His sole appearance is really The Last Command though him being mentioned in the Sourcebook and given a backstory also sticks with me.

If I'm right, he might be one of the Mon Calamari on the Raddus bridge and may have not survived :(.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    It's canon. If there's any detail the movies contradict, then those details aren't canon. The Story Group tends to think of all the different stories as adaptations of the "real" event, so there'll always be discrepancies in how they're told in their respective mediums. Chalk this up to one of those discrepancies.

RavagerFish likes this.