main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Last Of The Fireworks [Obi/Qui, end of ROTJ] -repost!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by female_obi_wan, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Title: The Last Of The Fireworks
    Author: female_obi_wan
    Summary: During the celebrations of victory over the Empire, two old friends meet again...
    Notes: This is a repost. Being a feedback junkie, I just wondered if I'd get any more. ;)

The Last Of The Fireworks

They had won.

The flames of the pyre had long since gone out, Luke had been found by his friends, the Emperor was dead, and Anakin Skywalker was back to the light. The galaxy was alight with joy and happiness.

But there was one person who still felt the cold.

He's seen Anakin,of course-he'd let him know he was forgiven. Strange that those words that had haunted his dreams for so long- 'I forgive you,my Padawan." should be said so...easily. And strange indeed it was that the face that had taunted him with his failures for so long-the face of his apprentice, grown up and fully of the light -should be seen today with his own eyes, standing next to him as a Spirit.

Strange it was indeed that today it was finally, finally, over.

Except for one thing.

As Obi-Wan turned the corner, he found the bright light he had been searching for. It wound it way round the trees, came to him, and then he saw his Master, standing in the middle of it.

"Master." Obi-Wan breathed, and he walked up to him, and kneeled.

"What are you kneeling for,Padawan?" came Qui-Gon's voice, rich with amusement.

"I am still your Padawan?" Obi-Wan said, not getting up.

"I remember thinking-" Qui-Gon said with a sigh "-and perhaps I never said it-that you would alway be my Padawan in some way or another. Get up, Obi-Wan. Come and walk with me."

He did so.

"We have much to talk about." Qui-Gon said as they walked. "Your heart has been far from rest these past years, and not just because of Anakin."

"I failed you,Master." Obi-Wan said, whispering the words he had repeated over and over in his head for more years than he could count. "I failed everyone."

They walked around a cluster of trees, and Obi-Wan found himself faced with a small lake. It shimmered and glittered and beckoned him closer, as if the lake was made of the Force itself.

"Look in the water,Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon said. "and tell me what you see."

Obi-Wan nodded, and knelt by the pool. He looked for a long while. "I see..." he said finally. "I see myself. A weak old man."

Qui-Gon knelt beside him and shook his head. "No,my Padawan. When I see you,I see a healthy, smiling, beautiful young man. And that is how it should be-because you didn't fail anyone. I failed you."

Obi-Wan had thought he'd had enough surprises. "What?" he said, and found his voice sounded like that of the younger man who had been trapped in memories until now. "How did you-"

"I left you." Qui-Gon said simply.

"But you didn't..."

"I left you, Padawan. I left you to a life of betrayal and despair. I've had time, wandering in the light, to think long and hard about it. I had time enough to see that some of my actions were born more from pride than from compassion."

Obi-Wan leaned forward and ran his hands through the water. It felt strange, like he was touching the water for the first time. Then again, he had lived on a desert planet for over ten years, having just enough water to keep him going, and certainly none to idly run his fingers through.

"What do you see, Master? In the pool." he asked, and realised with sheer amazement that he sounded once more like the young Jedi training under Qui-Gon Jinn. A quick glance in the pool showed him that he once more had the appearance of the child he was, too. The guilt of all the lonely years had disappeared like ripples in the water: they started, they spread, but eventually they vanished.

Qui-Gon noticed the change in his Padawan, and put an arm around him. "What I see,Padawan. I see myself in the place you were in. Lonely and lost. Had I known that would have been your fate,Obi-Wan,I would have done anything to stop it!"

"But which is the lesser." Obi-Wan said softly. "death or loneliness?"

And with those w

2. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Every time I read this, I can't help but be impressed by the writing. Very poignant vignette. :D

Thanks for sharing this.

3. jedi_elen22

jedi_elen22 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2003
    Great story! I love it! How Obi-Wan and his master finally get to reunite. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.