main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Last Person... Briannakin's Fic-Gift.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Dec 13, 2017.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: The Last Person...
    by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Characters: Bail Organa, his son, Sorath (an OC) and Winter
    Disclaimer: Borrowing the characters for the fanfic gift exchange.

AN: Sorath learns some valuable lessons & gains a friend, someone he never expected to call a friend.

My recipient is Briannakin who requested something unique :cool:
    I would like a story in Beyond - Legends with:
    1. An AU where the Empire never takes over galaxy and Alderaan is never destroyed
    2. An OC son of Bail/Breha Organa
    3. Snow
    Characters: OC, Bail Organa, Winter
    I don’t want: any romantic pairings between the requested characters
    Character I don’t want: Palpatine

Happy reading. [face_batting] :D

~~~~~~!!!!

Bail Organa sighed heavily as he perused the scholastic report his son had brought from his instructors. His son was intelligent and could apply himself when he wanted to. But that was the problem. More often than not, he didn't, or did so only by half measures. The fact of the matter was Sorath was a prankster. He would enter obscure and fallacious star codes and calculations in assignments calling for coordinates. He changed the hydrospanners from right to left handed in technical oriented courses where the students were tasked with repairs and upgrades of starfighters.

Bail had no choice but to talk seriously with his son about such things. There was a dignity to be upheld as an Organa besides doing one's best as an individual.

"Your mother and I raised you better than that, didn't we?" He pressed semi-rhetorically.

Sorath shrugged but did not reply.
    "Did you ever think that was part of the problem?" He rejoined. "Being your son puts me too much in the limelight. I have to do something to relieve the pressure."

Bail winced. "That's not enough of an explanation."

"Yeah, well. That's the one I'm going with for now." Sorath said in an offhand tone.

So that was where it stood. An impasse.
    Until Sorath got paired for a student assignment in Galactic History with Winter Restaq. The last person he wanted to be paired with! She had an almost perfect memory for facts, and she was ultra-serious! He did not think she had a sense of humor.

Winter scowled in frustration. Sorath had been grumbling and grousing all afternoon as she helped him with his essay on possible alternate histories.

"What if some crazy megalomaniac decided to set up an oppressive dictatorship, dissolve the Senate, and disband the Jedi?" She said. "Now that would certainly be a different kind of history leading to all sorts of convoluted possibilities!"

"Please!" He huffed. "No one would be so assinine as to try and dissolve the Senate, much less topple the Jedi! They're held in too much esteem. I know the Republic is flawed but it beats a totalitarian regime any day of the week."

"I know." She replied. "But the teacher said to use your imagination. Stretch it a little."

"More like creative fiction writing. She said she wanted something plausible."

"Lots of things are plausible, Sorath. Even if they're not likely."

He rolled his eyes. "All right. Let's write this up."

As they worked on the essay together, he had to admit his imagination was engaged. He thought about the ramifications of what they were describing and contrasted it with the way things were, in reality.
    This brought home to him anew how fortunate the trillions of sentients were to live under a more or less fair governmental structure, and how blessed he was personally to live on such an enlightened and peaceable world and to have the family he did.
    He was not petty enough to withhold this new insight and to give credit where it was due, so he shared these newfound feelings with Winter.

She smiled gratefully and confided in him that she often felt like an outsider in their peer group because of her special affinity with facts, which she had not asked for.

"It's definitely a mixed blessing. Maybe when I grow up and settle on a career path, it'll be appreciated. Right now, it just makes me stand out as different. And you know we're at the age when that causes all kinds of awkward."

Sorath flushed in embarrassment, not wanting to admit that he'd been one of the ones to hold her not in derision exactly but as someone to avoid. Perhaps in envy -- or something else? He couldn't quite decipher which.

She smirked, as if reading his unvoiced admission.

"It's all right. I know you don't feel like that any more." She said magnanimously.

"You're right, I don't. I just had to spend more time with you is all. Winter, you know if you unbent a little and had fun with us after school once in a while, just hung out, that might dispel some of the squickiness."

She laughed. "I held back because I didn't think I'd be welcome."

He paused in thought. "Maybe start with a small group at first?" He suggested. "I have a swarm of first and second cousins on my mom's side. They get along with everyone. They'll make you feel comfortable if anyone can."

Winter agreed with a bit of hesitation mixed with anticipation.

The afternoon fun started with snowboarding in the high drifts near the Organa vacation cottage in the mountain range 50 klicks away. Then that was followed by watching smashball matches and feasting on snacks that were very unhealthy as to nutrition but exceedingly tasty.
    Winter found herself having a fun time and relaxing quite a bit.
    This happy atmosphere was aided by the fact that their history assignment got an excellent mark.
    Sorath reflected afterwards that Winter was the last person he'd have picked for a project partner much less a potentially good friend. Perhaps, he admitted, she hadn't exactly expected him to be anything more than a frivolous shallow sort, but all this went to prove the best way to dispel misperceptions about another person was to give them a chance and for each person to feel free to be themselves.

+++++++

@};-

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    HEHEHEHE. I LOVE IT, AND SORATH, SOOO MUCH [face_laugh][face_love]

Sorath is exactly how I imagined the son of Bail and Breha to be. Just a genius but also a sarcastic, snarky handful!

[face_laugh] Sorath gets my soul!

I'm going to probably write an OC son of Bail and Breha in the New Year (probably a half-diary) and I may have to steal this if that's okay!

Oh, there's his mother's sass!

I'm sure the feeling is mutual Sorath!

Bwahaha. I loved this whole exchange!

Awww! I love the budding friendship between the two of them.

Thank you so much for this fic! It really put a smile on my face. I loved all the details and interactions between father and son and the new friends!

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I loved the meta of the "alternate history" assignment within the fic. [face_laugh] Just short & sweet, and ditto to what Briannakin said about Sorath... a great character! If this wasn't AU, I could totally see him as the brother of Leia, bright, sarcastic, growing up together and leading their parents on a merry dance trying to keep them in line. =D= Well done!

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I enjoyed this—what a fun and clever idea indeed to make the "AU of the AU"—namely the prime universe itself—into an "alternate history" project for school. Little do Sorath and Winter know what a close call their timeline had! :eek: I too like Sorath—he's got that teen knowitall callowness, but also a better side that recognizes a good friend when he sees one. And conversely, it's great for the ultra-proper, facts-based Winter to have a pal around whom she can relax and have a good time. I bet they had a blast snowboarding out at the Organa vacation cottage—Alderaan's best après-ski, no doubt! :D

Very fun piece, and a fitting gift to our dear mod and number-one Alderaanophile. @};-

Ewok Poet and Briannakin like this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    loved to see Bail and Breha having Sorath and the AU in this

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awwww! I love that they found a friend in each other! I'm sure Winter wasn't thrilled when she was paired with Sotath, but they both found a way to understand each other.

I love how what we know as the history of the GFFA is a thought experiment here! I love doing those kinds of thought experiments with history, and it's especially a lot of fun here because we know exactly what would happen.

=D=

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's such a great idea Ny, to have the original SW storyline be an assignment for an alternate history essay! I loved Sorath as a character, and I agree with Bri that this is totally how I'd imagine Bail and Breha's son if they had one. It was also nice to see a school-aged version of Winter here, with all the awkwardness that her perfect memory entails. She probably realises how lucky she is to live in this timeline and to not remember all the horrible things that could happen.

Findswoman likes this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much Chyntuck -- I truly enjoyed this entire viggie and am happy that Winter has better stuff to remember. :)

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  9. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Haha this had me in stitches! Great wee story. Love Sorath, so fun to picture a prankster as the son of the dignified and respectable Bail Organa. Also a very cosy story, which I am much in favour of.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cozy ones are the best. :cool:

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Whoa, mama! This AU, in some way, turns the Organas into The Simpsons. Sorath is such a Bart, isn't he? :D

He will like his adoptive sister's boyfriend, oh, yes, he will. [face_rofl] But the said boyfriend won't like him once he ends up on the edge of the known Galaxy, stuck with some odd-looking creatures with a pair of hands on their head. NOPE.

Oooo, here comes trouble! And, unlike Sorath, Winter has very, very good reasoning about what could happen to the world as they know it in some other parallel universe..while he calls it...creative writing?! She's onto something, even cooler than in Legends, I think!

And then, it turns out that there is something that the prankster can give to the perfect girl - the gift of friendship, something that she likely didn't have before and it's a lesson for both of them.

I love this AU, though the Republic remains flawed. ;) Lovely fic-gift. =D=

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_mischief] Thanks for such an entertaining review! I definitely wanted there to be an exchange and reciprocal lessons learned between Sorath and Winter. And [face_laugh] oh my, Han and Sorath; added to Bail being "Daddy" fierce -- that just is too fun -- the snark alone! :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, since you commissioned me, I'm now commissioning you. [face_devil][face_devil][face_devil] That NEEDS to happen, Han and Sorath! [face_tee_hee]

Findswoman likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Stop! Dare taken! [face_love] [face_party]

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.