main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Last Ship] The Solojones Show

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rosslcopter, Jun 22, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, see! Boston Legal is MUCH older than that show. The TR thing happened first, but TV-wise it was BL.

Look, this is like saying Harrison Ford is "that guy from Indiana Jones" or "Star Wars" or something else more recent when he's obviously "that guy from American Graffiti."

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jello did you finish Strike Back? No. Go watch.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    The Rhona Mitra on Strike Back would grid up the Rhona Mitras on Boston Legal and The Last Ship and make a nice hearty stew out of them.Take any of the Chuck Norris memes, and Mitra's Maj. Dalton was the one who taught him.

Of course, in that hierarchy, Rhona Mitra doesn't compare to Amanda Mealings' Col. Grant.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    ITT Ex-Senate mods get really weird about some lady.

Sarge and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It beats having the entire Small Council getting really weird with Margaery Tyrell?

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I got through fifteen minutes of this crap and that was enough. Much like Margaery Tyrell getting oral from her many husbands.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... it was a bit too 'cheeseball action flick,' for me. I'll probably give it another watch, though. I like shows with intriguing characters and stories... something unique and different. This is a bit too mindless and cliche for my liking. It's been done a billion times. Like I said, though.... gonna give it another try.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Good to see she's not important for you to recognise as a human.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, wow, haven't thought about that one in a while. What a weird movie.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I gave the show a shot but ultimately I irritated me too much.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I guess the trick is -- will it surprise us and be different? Can't really judge that from the pilot. But it's premise is different and hopefully a dead/dying world doesn't leave too much room for random pointless action.

If they played with more intelligent themes it could be interesting. Stuff to do with survival and loss (beyond cliche). Not sure we'd get that from something with Bay's name attached to it, but... we'll see.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Watched the first episode last night thanks to all the excitement in this thread. Isn't it cute how much the captain and the hot British epidemiologist dislike each other? They should probably make out on the season finale (cause his wife is not going to last). I'm in. It's like On The Beach and World War Z mixed in with 60s era Bond (that helicopter crash!). Love love love.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He doesn't run the show, and AFAIK he doesn't have much involvement after the pilot. :p

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I know that he's just the exec producer or whatever. Like how Spielberg was for Animaniacs.

His involvement is probably minimal. But the use of his name may probably indicate something they want to communicate to the audience -- eg "expect something like this."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Any show that gives Adam Baldwin work is a masterpiece by definition.

16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah, like Rhona Mitra being captured by the renegade Russians (commanded by Crystal Skull version Cate Blanchett), who forces Rhona
    to pole dance for her wearing nothing but a sable thong.

[​IMG]

"Show me EVERYTHING!"

Oh, the intelligent theme? How about Rhona dancing to the theme from The Breakfast Club.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sable + thong: you rang?

[​IMG]

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  18. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Those Marvel Swimsuit specials..... Are there anything more perfect and at the same time, more horrifying within Comic Book culture?

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Sarge like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Rule 34

Juliet316 and CloneUncleOwen like this.
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'll respond to some of the other questions/comments when I have more time, but I have to say... Believe it or not, the Russian guy you hear in some of the previews is actually Russian and that is 100% how he really sounds.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

My favorite story on this is Mickey Rourke's tale of his "dialect consultant" on Iron Man 2.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, yes, but I thought this show was supposed to be like an eighties action movie pastiche. If so, he clearly needs to start "Boris & Natashaing" it up. :p

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You all are impossibly cruel. You know who I'm talking to.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is that what Marg said after her latest hubby popped his clogs?

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    We have a writing team, and during the writing phase I was the writers' assistant. So I sat in on the writers' room, took notes, organized them, pitched in my thoughts, etc. I took notes for the writers in all of the production meetings as well.

I'm hoping to move up to being a staff writer in a year or so, which would mean then writing an individual episode. It's a very team oriented room where we break each episode together, unlike Doctor Who which just sends writers off to do their own thing.

Then during production I was promoted to script coordinator, which basically means I'm the main liaison between the writers and the various production departments. Any changes to the script, all new drafts, etc. are my responsibility to edit and check for continuity and tracking. This also means working with our various experts from the Navy and virology realms. Again, this is hopefully a stepping stone to being an actual writer.

In other news, tonight's episode (and the next two) are directed by Jack Bender, our lead director who also had that role on Lost :D