main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Last Ship] The Solojones Show

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rosslcopter, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh it did.....it did :(

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    casually mentioned to my mom that this show sounded really bad, and she laughed and said "it really is". apparently she'd the first two episodes. i asked why she bothered watching it then and she said the only other dramas she was watching right now were tyrant and new 24, both of which she said are only marginally better.

the feeble attempts at topicality seemed to be what annoyed her the most, (fighting terrorists at gitmo in the last ship -- why were the "terrorists" wearing face-wraps in cuba? -- the main character in tyrant going by "barry" (lolbama), all of 24 ever), but the thing that struck me the most was that she's right... now that fargo has ended, we seem to be in a drama dead spot, where everything on tv is **** and a disproportionate portion of dramas are action-oriented schlock. what is this, the 90s? is the golden age of television dramas which we've been enjoying for the past decade+ finally ending?

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Far too sensible, Umpire.

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

hush im being apocalyptic in an apocalyptic thread :p

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Let me suggest a radical idea: if you don't like what's on TV, don't watch TV.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that's what i suggest to my mom. for my own part, im currently not watching anything, except the occassional episode of the british comedy-drama misfits (which ended a couple years back, i watch it online) with a friend that ive been working through the show with for the last few months

there's plenty of great television produced just in the last couple decades that could tide a reasonably responsible person over for another couple decades or so if we were, indeed, entering a new dark age of television, and not just a post-may sweeps dead zone

here, have a misfits gif: [​IMG]

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    This Last Ship needs more SoloJones.

Asterix_of_Gaul likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that doesnt make any sense, beezel

jp-30 likes this.
  10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    She is not one of the head writers yet. So until she does become one, then the show needs more of her writing skills.

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    okay that makes more sense i guess, assuming you are specifically familiar with her writing skills and/or just being nice

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think I remember reading a Dexter spec script she wrote for school, and it was actually pretty good... better than anything I watched from seasons 5 and 6, for sure.

13. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Help Us SoloJones, you are only hope!

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

damning with faint praise again, i see

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I've never seen Dexter, and thus can't reference the quality of the spec script to that of the actual show, I still found said spec script to have been quite an entertaining read; the characters quite intriguing.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Huh?

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    what has confused you? are you unfamiliar with the phrase "damning with faint praise"? or do you not get that im saying seasons 5 and 6 of dexter were some of the worst seasons of television ive ever foolishly made myself sit through. (i learned my lesson by season 7, thankfully, and missed out on the big "**** you" that the last season apparently was)

18. beezel26

May 11, 2003
  19. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    http://memegenerator.net/Cowbell

Come on beezel, get your head in the game. I believe you are capable of making your own memes. You have original thoughts all the time.

20. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Post edited on privacy grounds. Please ask for permission before posting offsite materials like this.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have no problem sharing my writing privately with people who are actually interested because it's damn good writing and I'm proud of it. But I have no interest in feeding people who are just trying to pester me.

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Sorry about that.

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh i already saw it. im not fanatical enough to tear apart your fanfiction for flaws. i havent even brought myself to watch more than about 5 seconds of the trailer of the lost ship. at my core, im a very lazy sort of troll

unless you were referring to beezel pestering you, in which case carry on

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Both... Which I'm guessing isn't company you relish. Might say something dude.

The funny thing about FanFiction and TV is pros actually all write it. You always write spec scripts for existing shows. So really FanFiction since I was 13 wound up leading to legit writing samples for agents. Very happy with my Sherlock and Dexter scripts.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Aeneid was just fanfic for the Iliad, anyway. :p

Sarge likes this.