main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Last Ship] The Solojones Show

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rosslcopter, Jun 22, 2014.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    ST:TNG made Ron Moore's career, which started from a spec script he submitted.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    no, im afraid you're just in error. there's a profound difference between my trolling people i find annoying or fascinating, and beezel's creepy transparent nut-hugging of any woman on the internet

im glad you're happy with your body of work tho. not sure itll lead to career success and even less sure itll lead to anything aesthetically worthwhile. frankly, you dont seem depressive, neurotic, and/or self-loathing enough to be a great artist, but that's probably a compliament in the long run of human experience. if you have to choose between artistry and happiness, its probably better to choose happiness

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Vince Gilligan isn't depressive and self-loathing, and I think he's done okay.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i bet he's neurotic as ****, then :p

5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I'm not trying to pester. I am in your corner like the rest of the JCC. I just express it differently. Of course once you make it your dream of being a full time writer, you then can't tell us anything about your show. Although it would be cool to give your take on a show that you wrote after it aired to give us incite.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Gonna chime in here. While rogue ten is obnoxious, he's pretty much harmless. Beez may actually stalk you. I'd be careful and avoid lumping them into the same category. :p

As far as your Dexter script goes, it's challenging to write somebody else's stuff without it sounding like fanfic. Yours did not read like fanfic.

Lastly, while I've got nothing but support for you, I'd ease off on comparing yourself to Vince Gilligan... you're nowhere near that level yet. Humility is an endearing quality to have. :p

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Rogue_Ten like this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Things I liked about the 3rd episode, and some other observations:

-Sure, it's not the most original thing to have the Russians as the primary antagonists thus far, but it was nice to have some interesting tension, mind games, etc, all centered around Admiral Ruskov.

-Good to see that Quincy, Dr. Scott's lab partner, get more of a back story, adding some decent motivation for his previous/current actions... better than just him being an evil, Russian agent.

-If I were Chandler, I'd try to get my hands on some of the Russian's vodka & cigars... it's not been established yet that the Nathan James has any of those things. :p

-The look Chandler gives Green as he volunteers to accompany Foster -his boo- on a mission against the Russian ship was nice... he fully understands why Foster would do such a thing, but doesn't necessarily approve of their relationship.

-I was a wee bit lost during the planning & execution of the James' maneuver out of the harbor... a lot of technical information to process. I'm just not familiar with all of that.

Of course Qunicy's comrade, Sergei, is alive aboard the Russian ship... I hope that plot point is put to good use.

What I didn't like:

-Less of the whole Green-Foster dynamic would be better for this show, but I've got a feeling that won't be happening.
    His line at her towards the end, "I love you... Just stay away from me!"...yikes.

-Just why exactly did they need the dog as they headed to meet Ruskov?

8. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That dog thing sounds like a continuity issue solojones

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't know that she was trying to make any comparison. It was just a counter-example to disprove Rogue Number Ten's proposition that great artists are troubled.

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Are you imitating yourself?

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Solo, are there confidentiality agreements you signed that preclude you from discussing the show in depth. Not spoilers about the show or the season just the show itself.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Jabba-wocky

yeah, I get that... I'm just saying, none of us can presume to know a thing about Vince Gilligan's mental state (as it should be).

What I was saying about humility... as an artist, one must always be prepared to be told that their work sucks... that just comes with that line of work. Ideally, an artist should be able to accept such criticism with humility, and without getting defensive. I'm sure that sort of thing takes time and practice, though. Like I said earlier, I think it's great that she got work so soon after graduation. It's something she should be realty proud of. I've got nothing but support for her. I just feel she could benefit from a little humility. That's all.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I wasn't comparing myself to anyone; I was comparing Rogue Ten's stereotypes of writers to reality. I used Vince Gilligan simply because he's one of the few TV writers people know and the first that came to mind. I could have mentioned any of dozens of TV writers, but no one's heard of them.

My point is that Rogue somehow purporting to know more about television writing -- presumably while knowing zero TV writers, though correct me if I'm wrong -- than someone who works in TV writing is ludicrous. Do people tell Souderwan that they know what all submariners are like? No.

Television writers vary in personalities of course. But people who are depressive, miserable writers tend to gravitate towards solitary work like prose or poetry. In my experience TV writers tend to be sociable introverts. Otherwise they wouldn't have chosen to work in a field where they largely work by sitting in a room with other writers bantering and brainstorming. So really the suggestion that I can't possibly be a good television writer because I (or rather, the enormously incorrect stereotype ten has of me even though he barely knows me) don't match some Hemingway model of great writers is just outrageous.

I have an appropriate amount of humility about my work. And I was told by profs in school that I took constructive criticism really well. Our editing department head hated almost all the student directors but loved me because I didn't take his criticisms personally and was perfectly willing to murder my darlings to see if his suggestions worked better.

Before it be suggested that I am bragging about being humble, that's not it. I'm simply saying that I have no problem taking constructive criticisms from people who care. I also have no problem ignoring people who outright hate things. But who in their right mind wants the bother of having one more thing the likes of beezel will use to blabber on about you? If Rogue wanted to read a script, I'd gladly PM it.

14. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    I once took a tour of a retired submarine at a science museum, so I tell Souderwan that I know more about life on submarines than him all the time.

For instance, did you know that they have soft serve ice cream machines on submarines? FACT.

Souderwan and solojones like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think Brian has the personality to be a good submariner, unfortunately. He doesn't have superhuman hearing like all the great ones according to my main source of knowledge about the subject, The Hunt for Red October. Sorry Noundy :(

Souderwan likes this.
  16. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't go liking my post while the dog thing remains unaddressed!

harpua likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh right, I didn't quite understand your question on that to be honest.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I actually plan on discussing the show, at some point. I've been mostly offline for the past week, so I've got to get caught up. I'm actually really terrible about watching shows while they air. I almost always would rather binge watch a bunch of episodes over a period of time than follow a show regularly. There have been two exceptions--Lost and Breaking Bad. Gonna watch this, though, because I said I would.

Yeah... Maik likes to pull your pigtails, but. like I said, dude is pretty harmless--likable, even. :p

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

My only experience to-date on a sub has been at Disneyland. :(

:p

20. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    It was Tunick's question. Why did they have the dog?

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Specifically, is that normal operating procedure for a naval carrier? It's one thing for a dog to show up on an episode of Law & Order -or any show of that nature- 'cause you know, police dogs, not to mention bomb sniffing dogs for the Army (for those forms of entertainment specific to that military branch)... it's just for the Navy, I never figured that canines would be a part of it.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    There are no dogs on Naval ships. They wanted a dog in the show, so they asked and answered this question in the pilot (there's a little scene where someone comments they've never seen a dog on a destroyer and Danny says Halsey the dog is part of their team). In short, the dog is there because the writers created a fictional SEAL-type unit and decided to have a dog that could theoretically alert the team if it smelled/saw any otherwise hidden threats. The cantina could have been a trap, surrounded, etc. The dog is there for an extra set of eyes, ears, and a good nose. And because dogs are the best :)

Kristie, I appreciate that. I had nothing to do with the pilot and the show definitely knows what it is and sticks to that. Not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. I do think like most first season shows some things settle in better as more of the plot unfolds along the way.

Now way earlier EmpireForever asked if I was more defensive of this show just because I worked on it. I would say if anyone has seen my posts in basically any thread for a show I watch (GoT, Walking Dead, Lost), they would know that I am always fairly defensive of writers. I have seen the obstacles they face and know that it's much harder than armchair critics think. And sometimes things are not in their control because they ultimately answer to people above them as well. I know there are all sorts of practical issues that affect shows. Basically I just see writers get blamed for things that aren't their fault. Usually if there's something bad in an episode, the writers are just as aware of that problem as the viewers are.

So no, I don't think I'm more defensive than normal. I have consistently been a proponent of some shows and films just being well put together fun. I don't see a problem with that. And it makes for a great show to work on as an aspiring writer because it's less pressure and more fun. This show is Star Trek, where each week you can land on a new world and the sky's the limit for what entertaining scenario might unfold there.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Ahhh, okay... I clearly missed that little scene in the pilot. Of course dogs are incredibly awesome... I keep thinking a bit as I watch about how my chihuahua would react to being on a ship such as that.:p

24. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    solojones, I think this show is not going to be the pinnacle of your career.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... I'm sorry, but I can't get into this. Still, though... will look good on the resume, and again, the fact that you got work in tv so soon after graduating is something you should be proud of. It's a start, and hopefully a stepping stone.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.