main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto The latest "victim"

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Psiberian, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psiberian

Psiberian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2000
    Well, SARS got me...

In case you haven't heard, Mirvish announced today (and we found out last night -through the grapevine-) that Mama Mia is closing down for three months, and thus I'm out of a job.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical - I do understand that SARS is a nasty little disease, but quite frankly, the crazy paranoia that it's causing is hurting us SO MUCH MORE then the actual sickness! It's getting ridiculous - I have yet to see anyone drop dead in the streets of Toronto!

Anyhow, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm a little frustrated right now. I know it could be worse; at least my job will be back after the three month period, and that's more then some people will get...But it's going to be a tough three months.

On the upside, come July, it looks like I'll finally be able to show up for any get-togethers or movie nights (assuming I can afford it) that come up....Anyone up for a game of Epic Duels? :)

2. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I could not agree with you more about the crazy paranoia regarding SARs. I fear that it will take a long time for Toronto to shake the SARS rap that the world has put on it. I have people as far away as Australia emailing me that are concerned about my health as well as a few people from the other side of the border with similiar themed emails.

3. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I understand all too well about SARS. I wanted to go to Toronto a few weeks ago, but work forbade me as did my family. I wasn't going near any hospitals or anything, as far as I was concerned, I'm sure I'd have been fine. But being faced with losing my job if I went, wasn't really worth it considering I need this job until December so I can move to Toronto. I miss my guy and my family over there :(

4. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I am sorry to hear your news Kate. I remember you telling us that you were coming to Toronto this summer. I am sure that I speak for everyone here when I say that we hope to see you real soon and we hope that this cloud that has been over our heads will be gone in the near future.

5. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Thanks Mike, I hope I get to meet you all very soon! But after all, there is the rest of my life to get used to you guys and Canada :)

6. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I look forward to meeting you Kate :)

7. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey Psiberian, that sucks and makes me wonder, we just had a rush job from Mirvish for today (Friday) for Lion King and Mamma Mia Front of House posters. Why would they sudden spend the money on Advertising if they're closing it down??

8. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    Not sure Kenobi, but I'm not getting my hopes up - keep in mind that The Lion King isn't going down until the end of September, and Mama Mia is only going on hiatus for three months. I've been hearing a few rumours here and there that "they" are trying to keep the show open, but I'm taking them with a grain of salt.

One of the better ironies about this whole thing (there are quite a few) is that we're still booked solid until the end of June, thanks to that deal that the Mirvishes offered...I guess SARS isn't nearly as scary when the tickets are cheap....

9. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The cheap tickets were snapped up by Torontonians though. It's the Americans that we have to convince. I would hate to be in the hotel industry right now. Sorry to hear your news.

10. Psiberian

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah, I thought about that too, but I'm not too sure that's the truth...I'm not privy to the actual figures, but I do know that when the deal was first announced, we were getting over 4000 calls a *minute* and people were driving from distances as far as 3 hours away to stand in line for tickets, so it wasn't all Torontonians.

Nonetheless, I suppose that the point still stands. I've definitely noticed a dearth of Americans lately...And even despite our "sold out" status these days, there's still the occasional conspicuously empty row...

I'm still not happy about it though... *ironic smile* :)

11. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I hope the tourism will pick up again soon. I hope the whole world economy will pick up soon. I'd love to get a job here, a good job, next spring.

The one good thing about all this SARS is that plane tickets are the cheapest ever and since I flew here last Tuesday, I like that aspect. I did play my part, since I played tourist on Wednesday. ;)

12. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I heard on the radio today, that the Lion King is leaving Toronto when the summer is over. They are also advertising a whole package deal for it, which I have not heard of before.

This thing with SARS has been blown WAY out of proportion but is finally coming to a clise. We even have SARS kits where I work just in case, and we have had to screen everybody who visits. FYI, Toronto is now off the WHO list of countries, only Taiwan is on there now. There hasn't been a new case of SARS in 20 days.

13. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Just a random fact: the nurse who died from SARS in Toronto (Neila Laroza) is my friend from high school's mother.

Fact 2: The Markham high school that was quarantined...MY high school...MY brother couldn't leave the house for a week...luckily I now live downtown... :p

14. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Yes, the paranoia is indeed far worse then the actual disease. It's terrible to see someone die, it's probably worse when it's healthcare workers who are the ones trying to help the sick. However if you looked at the statistics, more people die from the flu virus then have died from SARS. Heck, it's alot more dangerous to get into your car in the morning in most major American cities then it is to come to Toronto(as long as you don't go to a hospital obviously.) It's really a shame the damage this disease has done to the city...
    On the plus side, who's gonna go see the rolling stones? AND they're bringing AC DC!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.