main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Latin Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Pallas-Athena, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Hey all you classical enthusiasts! Although I am not sure how many JC users actually know latin, but here's a place where we can communcate in Latin, help each other with grammmar and syntax, and translate things into Latin or English for people who ask (I often get a lot of requests for this).

Just a quick rule: do not write anything obscene in Latin thinking that nobody will understand you. I will PM a Mod with the user name, the word in question, and it's English translation. If you're good enough at Latin to know these words, then you're probably also good enough to know they're inappropriate

So, where to start? Aliquid linguam Latinae scit?

2. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm a Linguistics and Philosophy major so this is right up my ally.:)

However, I'm not fluent in Latin, though I have the material to learn it. I do have my little "Latin Quotes" book handy, so I'll just post little pearls of wisdom to help you get this thread off the ground.....

Humanius est deridere vitam quam deplorare ---Seneca, De Tranquillitate Animi

~~~Aanix

P.S.

My signature has a little Latin quote in it, it should read : Ego reptus regalitum (I hope that doesn't count as a bad word! :) )

3. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    i'm not very fluent in latin, but one phrase that stuck out with me is: Carpe Cervesum!

4. Prof_D_Kirke

Prof_D_Kirke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm a Classical Studies (the other CS) Major with and emphasis on Late Antiquity and First Century Christian Thought. I'm in for 2 more years of latin.

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm a Political Science major and Philosophy Minor. I'll be taking my second semester of Latin in the fall. I could use all the help I can get.

6. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Yay! People like! Despite me creating this thread, I don't cliam to be an expert in Latin :) Personally, I finished my 4th semester last semester and will be taking 2 Latin class next semester, followed by another 2 in Spring.

Aanix - You like Seneca? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know the word "regalitum" [face_blush]

pkloa - LOL!

Salty - eep! 2 is the hardest. Well, we'll be around :D

7. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Poodu.

I wanted to find a latin-englsih dictionary on Amazon but there were only three.

The best one cost 300 dollars. [face_plain]

The others don't look like they would be much good.

I need a good Latin - English dictionary, a Latin grammar, and a copy of Caeser's Gaulic wars.

8. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    The Collins Gem is the standard for students, it'll give you what you need.

I want that Oxford dictionary (the $300 one) - grad present for next year :D It's mainly used by Latin teachers and such, you don't need it.

Grammar book? The standard is Wheelock. I learned on it. The readings aren't fun, but it has a bunch of self-tests for each capter.

Do you need Bello Gallia in Latin or English?

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm using the Wheelock's text for all three semesters of Latin.

10. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Pallas~~ sorry about that. I got that quote out of the book "Latin for all Ooccaisions" it translates to: I am royally screwed. :)

And yes, Seneca was an amazing man, gotta love 'im.

I'm glad there are more classical enthusiasts on these boards, nice to know I'm not alone :)

~~~Aanix

11. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Yep, we used Wheelock for the 1st and 2nd semester. The 3rd was Finis Rei Publicae - a book based around Caesar and Cicero's writings.

We also used Latin Via Ovid in 1 and 2, the readings were fun little myths, but the grammar's painfully bad :p

Aanix - classics is my life ... perhaps not even by choice *shrugs* maybe that's a good thing. I wonder if that book got it wrong or if it is I who is totally ignorant. We may never know [face_plain]

12. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Kepping this thread alive people:

Facile remedium est ubertati; sterilia nullo labore vin****ur. ~~ Quintilian, Istitutio Oratoria, II, 4, 6

~~Aanix

13. IfAnakinLikedJazz

IfAnakinLikedJazz Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Ipsa scientia potestas est. I had 2 years of latin back in HS.....and god help me if i can remember anything but that! Hehe

14. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Such lovely quotes [face_love]

I have a silly little vernacular latin book. Shall I quote?

"Cur Gaius togam rubicumdam gerit?"

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Romanes eunt domus? Or should that be Romani ite domum?

Ecce. In pictura est puella nomine Cornelia. Cornelia est puella romana quae in Italia habitiat. Etiam in pictura est altera puella nomine Flavia. Flavia est laeta quod Cornelia iam est in villa. Cornelia sedet sub arbore. Flavia cantat

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Wow, my two years of latin in school hasn't totally disappeared, I actually understood what halibut wrote. I wish I knew more though.

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You're better off than I am. I only understand a small fraction of what's being said. :(

18. IfAnakinLikedJazz

Mar 22, 2002
    "In pictura est puella nomine Cornelia. Cornelia est puella romana quae in Italia habitiat. Etiam in pictura est altera puella nomine Flavia. Flavia est laeta quod Cornelia iam est in villa. Cornelia sedet sub arbore. Flavia cantat"

Here goes.......forgive me...

"In the picture there is a girl named Cornelia. Cornelia is a Roman Girl who lives in italy. Also in the picture there is another girl named Flavia. Flavia is glad because Cornelia is already in the villa?!?!? Conelia sits under a tree. Flavia sings...

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, that's how I translated it too.

20. IfAnakinLikedJazz

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks.....i wasn't sure, especially about that sentence about the villa. It just didn't seem right.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

21. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Hey all you other Latin speaking people! If you like to read news in Latin then here you are: Nuntii Latini.

These news are updated once in week but they are excellent practice.

My own Latin skills are bit rusty nowadays. I studied Latin for two years but now I've forgotten most. I can speak Greek much better.

22. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    IfAnakinLikedJazz -- I believe that's a form of Logic, yes?

After somehing, therefore because of something.

I'm curious to know if this is correct, I learned it philosophy and would like to think I still remember it.

~~~Aanix

23. IfAnakinLikedJazz

Mar 22, 2002
    Very good....absolutely right.....

Ipsa scientia potestas est

24. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    IfAnakinLikedJazz - Ispa vera est.

Tod - Cool! *reads*

halibut - Quae Cornelia est? Eamne scis? Tuae verbae commemorant librum discipuli ...

25. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I happen to be a bit of an Enya fan and she sings bits in Latin.. hence i know an itsy-bitsy bit... :)

Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum,
    Grata superveniet quæ non sperabitur hora.

I love that saying. :D

BTW, since this is a latin thread i wondered if i could pose a problem for you. There's some debate over a certain line of Enya's, and no one can quite decide what it means... tell me what you think...

domineoveniteosacramentum(discesm)eodeo .

:confused:

LittleJedi

BTW, the more poetic translation of my little saying is:

Believe, that ev'ry morning's ray
    Hath lighted up thy latest day;
    Then, if no to-morrow's sun be thine,
    With double lustre shall it shine.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.