main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania 'The Laughing Cow' in Australia?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by epic , Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Vache_qui_rit.gif]

this is to settle a discussion/debate i've been having with my housemate. no comments on the highly intelligent and intellectual level of conversation i have with my housemate please [face_whistling]

is this much beloved processed cheese, 'Vache qui rit' in French (where it originates) called 'The Laughing Cow' in Australia? i remember my parents buying this but i'm SURE it wasn't called that. but all the evidence seemingly points to it being so (the wikipedia site says that the translation into english is valid for all english-speaking countries).

can anyone help me out? i can't find anything on the internet. if any of you are in Woolworths or Coles next time, can you let me know what it's called? i thought it was sold under the french name, but now i'm doubting my memory.

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I know it as The Laughing Cow, but whether it is actually called that I can't remember. Great cheese, though. :p

3. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    it's actually called the laughing cow?

o ****.

4. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    epic, it has both.

The one I bought last night has The Laughing Cow in big letters, and La Vache Qui Rit in smaller letters underneath.

5. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I side with KiKi on this matter.

Although having checked my heavily cheese stocked fridge, I do indeed have the 'La Vache Qui Rit' version.

SUCH A QUANDRY

Sorry...sorry. I saw epic's name and though I was in the JCC :p

6. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    A somewhat cheesy discussion...

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I once had a gf who was quietly obsessed by Laughing Cow and she could neither read nor speak French so one must assume that the packaging does, in fact, label it as Laughing Cow in Australia.

8. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    That is indeed what it is called, La Vache qui Rits, and the translation is accurate ;) Thems french are a crazy bunch!

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    miss Jessie, dearest, lovely, beautiful one, do you have a digital camera by any chance? and do you still have this french version La Vache Qui Rit? if so (or if you threw it out, if you ever buy a similar one again) could you possibly take a picture of it and also something like the use by date or barcode that proves it hasn't been smuggled in from France or something? it will be a small victory i can take to my housemate to show i wasn't completely talking a bunch of bollocks!

if you do i'll be eternally greatful. [face_batting]

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have no idea why, but the notion of you arguing over cheeses seems so oddly... right, epic...

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.